Microsoft is Investing a Billion Dollars in Xbox One Games

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
MS exclusives - Halo 15, Gears of War so many we don't even number them anymore, Forza XYZ, blah, blah, blah - oh yes special groovy bonuses from EA games. Go out on a limb already and launch some new IP for goodness sake. I have both machines and like them both but Sony exclusives really rock, you had Heavy Rain, but instead of making a sequel they are making Beyond Two Souls, you have the Unchartered series, but instead of beating that to death they are making Last of Us. I know I NEED to get a Playstation, but tell me why do I NEED to get the Xbos One.

captain3D

Honorable
Apr 25, 2013
The cost of games are so high on the consoles. Makes me wonder if a gaming PC is a more economical choice. It would be interesting to see a cost comparison between a game console and desktop pc with similar hardware specs. The PS4 is about 1.8 terraflops about a Radeon 7850, and the XboxOne is 1.2 terraflops about a Radeon 7770. Both use very weak CPUs. You can build a $500 gaming PC that is in the neighborhood of the PS4 minus game controllers. The console makers are way over hyping their hardware.

So they got the game part right and the console part wrong this time around. Sorry, Microsoft, try as hard as you want; you lost me with the DRM and always-online. You can put out as many exclusive games as you want, and I'm still not going to support that type of crap. Here's hoping for a miserable failure. (clink)

10hellfire01

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009

Yes and those systems have no varibilities whatsoever. Combined that's 2 GPUs, 2 CPUs, and similar RAM, as well as the same firmware and drivers. What I like to think is imagine what developers could do with a 680/7970-that would be gorgeous.

On topic, I hate exclusives. I never really could see how they actually make more money than what's paid to lock them in a contract, as in is it much of a surplus jump to even justify it? I just see it as something to smite those who didn't get your product, leaving people out for no real reason (hardware limitations aside). But a lot of these will probably be kinect related, and upcoming developers trying to get recognition under the huge umbrella that is MS.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
All 15 exclusives will require the net no doubt since they want to force this issue and use the cloud crap to do it. No thanks MS. I'm buying a GPU this time only and maybe shield rev2 to get it to my tv :) No more consoles for me period.
For the sake of consumers, I hope they put a label on the games that REQUIRE CLOUDS or some such so people can just avoid them if they have a bad internet connection or bandwidth restrictions on them. I can see lawsuits already over parents who were shocked by their kids INTERNET bills...LOL.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

There are PC games that can't be played on consoles too :)
$45 ASRock H61M-DGS LGA 1155 Intel H61
$199 i5-3450 IVY 22nm 3.1/3.5ghz turbo quad core
$55 Corsair 2x4GB (8GB) 1.5v DDR3 CMX8GX3M2A1333C9
$89 20in LCD HP, HannsG, AOC, Acer (all $89-99)
$75 1TB HD 7200rpm (Seagate, WD, Toshiba, all three $75)
$15 Keyboard+mouse (endless combos here)
$60 HEC 6T10LOH585 585w CASE (there are many@$60 or far less)
$18 Lite-On 24X iHAS124 DVD Burner
$556

Just an example - add whatever vid card you can afford. Most already have windows, they may not need a monitor/keyboard/mouse (is there anybody left without a PC today?) and obviously a PC does FAR MORE than a console for the meager amount of extra money. Homework, REAL work, of course games, best web experience, media player, burner etc etc. It's a toy/workhorse for the whole family not just the kids. Toss the 770GTX on there ($399?) and you have a card that's faster than GTX680 in a $950 PC that is upgradable for ages (only $850 if you need no monitor/key/mouse). Heck the die shrink coming will make consoles even worse. By Q1 you'll get nearly twice the power for the same price (assuming AMD is really doubling resources, and NV will likely do the same with maxwell). At that point you can spend $150-200 on a card and probably match the current GTX 680. Heck if you go AMD on the gpu now, you even get a bunch of FREE games (4-8?). Is MS or Sony going to give away FOUR AAA games with each console? Rumor is they'll be charging $70 now for games! OUCH. So to get those 4 AAA titles another $280 or so right? Nuff said.

It can also play some games well above 1080p and they will ALL (yes I said ALL) look better on the PC. Soon you should be able to get it to your TV via many devices (this only makes sense for both NV, and force-ably AMD if NV does it via anything on top of shield already). Make no mistake shield is just the first run at consoles, and getting your PC to TV ends them along with all the other options attacking consoles this time around. They are dead, just look at the devs at GDC 2013 survey. MS has to make their own games because nobody else is going to fund them...LOL. Or all devs were just lying?

Price leaks for PS4 show $500, but I'm guessing that will be the neutered model not full blown with a larger drive etc. Same for MS I'd guess. They won't be cheap and as noted GAMES are expensive on them. You can head to gog.com or steam and get tons of games weekly for the PC that are under $10 (heck they both have sales under $5 every week). WIIU sales are off 50%, I expect the same from the xbox1/ps4 in Q1/Q2 next year. First adopters and console lovers will jump then sales tank. Handhelds days are over also. Vita/3DS sales show this. Lets face the music...Phones, tablets, ouya, shield, steambox, wikipad, razer edge, gamepop, and more I'm just forgetting now will kill sales from consoles. A good 1/2 of these already said they'll rev yearly or are upgradable. Next year Ouya will have T4. A year later a T5 (which runs battlefield 3 fine as they demoed), a year later T6 for unreal 4 (if T5 can't do it, T6 will). See the point? Consoles will have problems selling enough before there are too many options at or near the same power. Hence devs won't go there (not enough to sell to vs. a Billion unit mobile market etc yearly). The prices above were from a few weeks ago, you add in specials and take a week or two to build your box and you'll crush my quote. It goes without saying you should wait for haswell/richland first then make a move (for anyone considering a PC...WAIT!). Run on their onboard until xmas then buy 20nm gpu :)

You seem to forget that PC's rev yearly. Consoles will be the SAME for 8 years from now. I'll be on 4K in my TV and pushing my PC's gpu to it before 2016 or after Volta if required. A console is worthless to me. Most reading this probably have a Monitor, windows, keyboard, mouse, burner (or dvd drive etc), HD from old PC (maybe a case/psu they can use too). So they can build one for very cheap (at most the price of a console) :) Newegg has vids showing the entire build from start to finish. Check youtube for the newegg channel...LOL. Everyone can do it now. I'm a PC tech so it goes without saying I build my own, but I'm saying most could accomplish it today with all the youtube vids and neweggs are great (I sent links to them to friends they have no problems, a few fear questions at most).

eiskrystal

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
You're spending 1 billion dollars to monopolize a market and act as a gate keeper preventing people from playing new games unless they give money to you. It's also encouraging developers to avoid multiple system releases.
Well it benefits you, and it benefits the developer... I'm just not seeing how this is anything to boast about to everyone else.

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
I just want to see the new Alan Wake game. That's all.
And no, the game wasn't scary - I'll agree. Still, I loved the style of the writing.

May 2, 2013
"The same PC gamer that spends thousands on high end rigs, controllers, and gaming libraries that consume half the household budget…?"
It consumes half your household budget? Time for a different hobby then.
IB

B-Law

Honorable
May 28, 2013
with the visual drm junk i hope they lose all their invested money. making you pay for everyone in the room just to watch a movie. gtfo microsoft.

flyrasin

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013
Quote: "Like, 'they were focused, they made this a core goal, core activity'. There are great hits, there's innovation, and there are world class creators plugged in."
Don't count your chicken before they hatch Don..

JoeyVee123

Honorable
May 23, 2013
I'm not sure if I'm missing something here or not, but why do people care whether games are "exclusive" to a system or not? The only reason I can think of is so Xbox fanboys can go, "HA U CANT PLAY HALO ON A PS3, XBOX IS SOOOOO MUCH BETTER." or vice-versa. Again, sorry for my ignorance.

Fulgurant

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2012

Yeah, the value proposition on PCs versus consoles is really pretty even in the long run these days, I think. That's not to say that consoles don't have advantages vis-a-vis convenience and so on -- but once you toss everything into the mix -- the fact that the PC is useful for more than just gaming, and that therefore whatever you're paying just for the gaming portion of the PC might only be half or less of the cost of the whole system (and possibly less than the total cost of a console), and the fact that you can pick up like a year's worth of games for about $100 on Steam if you wait for a sale -- once you consider all of that, the idea that PC gaming is vastly more expensive than console gaming just doesn't ring true anymore.

It may have been true at one time, but not so much right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.