Microsoft Is Readying Two Next-Gen Consoles, XCloud Streaming (Reports)

Status
Not open for further replies.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
I tested Steam Link on Android at home, and 90% of the time it's flawless, but that 10% means visual lag, input lag, lost connections, and lower streaming quality. I think playing over a network is a nice concept, but it has to be very robust and used on a very good internet connection to replace a console.

Which makes the decision of making both a good one. Now we have to see how portable this cloud controller is, and if games bought in one can be played in the other.

techy1966

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015
I am good with the full console version but the scaled back version no thanks I like my games to be installed locally besides that I am not into repaying monthly to play the games I like. The other issue is lag because of it being cloud based over the internet. I really hope no one buys into this cloud gaming crap since it will pretty much wreck the gaming industry if it ever really catches on.

Next MS will try to make Windows a full cloud based OS as well and have you pay a monthly sub just to go on and do things like check email surf the internet etc. I see this happening probably by 2022 with the Windows OS. So enjoy you computers while you can because it looks like we might be in for a crappy ride in the near future. It also made me remember something Bill Gates said way back in the mid 90's where he said he envisioned both Windows and MS Office to be totally driven off of the internet and he said that back before we even had high speed internet so the idea has been with MS for a very long time for sure.

John Nemesh

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013
I don't know. I use PS Now, and it works JUST FINE. Lag is imperceptible, and it has plenty of advantages, including NOT having to install each game you want to play. The service has a LOT of haters...mainly people who never have even TRIED the service! I prefer most of my games to be installed locally, but streaming WORKS...and a "Netflix for games" is exactly what a lot of people are asking for.

stdragon

Admirable
Thin-client based consoles (where all GPU frames are rendered offsite in the cloud server farm) will introduce latency. This market is ***NOT*** for twitch based games such as the FPS genre.

kenjitamura

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012

Steam link can only really be enjoyed with a fully wired connection; I had one set up that way at the last place I lived and the difference was completely imperceptible. Wireless connections aren't good enough for low latency in home pass through streaming; though it's looking like that might change with the 802.11ax wireless standard.

It really does feel like such a waste that all new homes since the mid 2000's haven't had ethernet wiring installed by default. For anyone that uses in-home internet they're extremely precious and the cost to have it installed during construction only amounts to a drop in the sea.

David_693

Prominent
Apr 17, 2017
I could have sworn that when the XB One was coming out that they were touting some sort of cloud assist for that console. What ever happened to that???

SockPuppet

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
As mentioned above, 90% of the time streaming works great. You'd never know the console was streaming the game from a server. The crux of the biscuit here is that pesky 10% where everything goes to hell and completely ruins your immersion.

Status
Not open for further replies.