News Microsoft kills Win + C shortcut to promote dedicated Copilot key, drive PC sales

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

thisisaname

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
But, this isn't the first time that the Win + C shortcut has been nuked and evicted though.

It was previously the quickest way to invoke "Cortana", before MS decided to pull the plug on this so-called AI assistant.

It was then given the job of opening 'Teams', which was part of Microsoft's bid to capitalize on the work-from-home boom. And now, we had it as Copilot's hotkey.
Who knows where it'll end up next?

So no, a direct correlation to promote a dedicated copilot key seems a bit off in this case, at least in my opinion. Although, we know the hype being generated by the latest AI and Copilot+ PCs can't be overlooked.
Invoke Clipper, who can start with "Looks like your are trying to open Co-pilot left me help you instead"

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
Pure. Greed. What a waste of development resources and definitely a slap in the face to this supposed marriage to the idea of "climate change is the existential threat of our time" when retiring not that old PC's isn't an issue at all in the name of this crazy AI rat race. Love how big tech fakes morality when green is and always will be the main motivating factor for any major business decisions -- I mean, how not when you're a publically-traded company!?!?

These complaints ring a little hollow if you've not done any work to get off of big tech platforms like Windows. It's easy to point the finger at "them". Switch to Linux yet? Most have not, and just complain a little harder. Yeah that'll show 'em.

Findecanor

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2015
Copilot hasn't been around long enough for people to get that used to the key combination.
Windows+C was previously mapped to Cortana.
That has been around long enough to teach people not to press the key combo by mistake, though. ;)

Cortana was never available in my territory/language, but I still got a Taskbar icon that I couldn't remove. Thanks, Microsoft!

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
I see stuff like this and think "how can people want a computer infested with Copilot, or any AI?"

Dont get me wrong AI has its place but, IMO, it should be something you reach out to use, not something baked into the operating system at a core level.

I often forget there are hundreds of millions, or more, of people who not only dont want to think for themselves; they are incapable of doing so.
And "AI" is just going to cause that scenario to spread like wildfire.

Sure its "convenient" but it also creates a society of morons who dont truly have any knowledge or wisdom.
"If they AI says so, it must be true!".
Dont question the narrative, do what your are told!
Easy to control I guess. 🤷‍♂️

Colif

Win 11 Master
I never used that key combo so I won't really miss it.

Not in a rush to buy a new keyboard just to get a button I wouldn't use.
Soon they just swap the Win key to be the AI button. No avoiding it.

if people listen to the current AI they might not be around long enough to be a problem.

win 11 not working without the key wouldn't fly well with laptop users who have had PC for last 4 years before key was added. Everyone else wouldn't be amused either.

KnightShadey

Reputable
Sep 16, 2020
Sure its "convenient" but it also creates a society of morons who dont truly have any knowledge or wisdom.

You can't blame Ai for that, we were already there long before "Ai" was even added to DSLRs & microwaves...

7a80ca9d3d7c38c3e4495961bde5e4d1.gif

😜

CmdrShepard

Prominent
Dec 18, 2023
Dont get me wrong AI has its place but, IMO, it should be something you reach out to use, not something baked into the operating system at a core level.
Road to hell is paved with good intentions.

They think they are doing people a favor when they "empower" them with tech and when they make it "more accessible to wider audience".

What that kind of helpfulness has been doing this far is lowering the bar on education and reducing both the curiosity and agency of people to do stuff or understand things for themselves.

I just asked llama3 (run locally on my PC) the following:

Q: If we enable everyone to use AI assistants on their PC, can you come up with downsides of that?

Here's the answer I got:
While AI assistants can be incredibly helpful and convenient, there are some potential downsides to consider if they become ubiquitous:
  1. Dependence on technology: Over-reliance on AI assistants could lead to a decline in human critical thinking, problem-solving, and decision-making skills.
  2. Loss of personal interaction: With AI taking over many tasks, people may miss out on opportunities for social interaction, human connection, and emotional intelligence.
  3. Biased information: AI assistants can perpetuate existing biases and stereotypes if not designed with diversity, equity, and inclusion in mind.
  4. Vulnerability to cyber attacks: As more devices are connected to the internet, there's a higher risk of cyber attacks, data breaches, and identity theft.
  5. Over-reliance on single points of failure: If AI assistants become the primary way people interact with technology, they may be vulnerable to system-wide failures or outages.
  6. Potential for addiction: The instant gratification and constant availability of AI assistants could lead to addiction and decreased productivity.
  7. Job market disruption: Widespread adoption of AI assistants could accelerate job displacement in industries that are heavily reliant on automation.
  8. Data privacy concerns: As AI assistants collect more data, there's a greater risk of unauthorized access, data misuse, or exploitation.
  9. Lack of transparency and accountability: AI decision-making processes can be opaque, making it difficult to understand why certain decisions were made or how to hold them accountable.
  10. Dependence on electricity and connectivity: Without reliable power and internet connections, AI assistants become useless, highlighting the importance of infrastructure resilience.
  11. Social isolation: Over-reliance on AI assistants could exacerbate social isolation, especially for vulnerable populations like seniors, those with disabilities, or people living in remote areas.
  12. Inadequate regulation: The rapid development and deployment of AI assistants may outpace regulatory frameworks, leaving users without adequate protection or recourse.
These concerns are not meant to be exhaustive, but they do highlight some potential downsides to consider as we move forward with the widespread adoption of AI assistants.
TL;DR -- even AI "thinks" it's a bad idea.

Reactions: cknobman