Microsoft Launches 'Buy PC, Get Xbox Free' for Students Program

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Yeah, LAN parties do get a bit messy- and your friends have to have a job to keep up their systems and play all the games you have, and then all of the people playing have to bring their own systems. Assuming everyone has a $700 gaming PC (which is a bit low really) you would be bringing $2800 worth of equipment to play a game vs only $400 for a console and a few extra controllers. In the real world consoles just make sense for gaming since anyone can hop in and play and you don't have to set anything up, most of the time you don't have to teach people how to play either. Having said all that, I wouldn't give my PC up for a million consoles.

dimamu15

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
[citation][nom]dalauder[/nom]Clearly she CAN play Crysis since she has an Xbox 360. And no, it won't look good because it's on an Xbox.[/citation]
lol!
rly?
lol!!!!!!
hey... hey.... listen......... you know what? do u? nooo? okay! well..... YOU CAN! Oh yes, you can play with your friend in the same room. Well, if not, it is because ur hands grow from your ass.
Xbox is like a dvd player... why own it when you (also have/can buy) a blu ray player.

with love, trololo!

PS - more like: "Spend $700 on a Windows 7 PC, get a shiny new Xbox 360 (4 GB) console for free. Absolutely b.s deal for intelligent tom's reader."

dimamu15

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
^ Ehh... tom's
dislike ur comment layout.

responded to this:
|
|
V
[citation][nom]dalauder[/nom]Because PC's suck for gaming with people in the same room. Game systems are great if your friends are real people down the hall (College Dorm) versus imaginary people online. Okay, online people aren't "imaginary", but there's something to taunting a person physically sitting next to you.[/citation]

kkiddu

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
[citation][nom]dimamu15[/nom]^ Ehh... tom'sdislike ur comment layout.responded to this:||V[/citation]

I agree. In most places, the buttons to reply etc. are below the comment, and not above it. It'd be infinitely easier if you changed the layout. And while you're at it, fix the thumbs up/down system as well. (Yeah, I know that some French employee did it, but it's time you got it working)

cybr

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
[citation][nom]obiown77[/nom]did you see the size of her feet?[/citation]
When they're in the air, no one cares!

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]festerovic[/nom]This is just a lame attempt to subsidize slipping 360 sales with Win7 sales.[/citation]
Really? Thanks to Sony, 360 sales are going realllly well right now.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Shot was taken with wide-angle lens, which doesn't mean anything to you unless you know a bit about photography/lens... BUT, that is why her feet look like that

Nexus52085

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
That's an optical illusion. Her feet are closer to the camera than the rest of her body, so they're obviously going to look disproportionate.

methal

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
I'd get it if she was part of the package. Even with those monster feet...heck she could give a wicked good hand job with those feet.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
[citation][nom]methal[/nom]I'd get it if she was part of the package. Even with those monster feet...heck she could give a wicked good hand job with those feet.[/citation]
foot job, it exists as word... :D
And glad someone takes the the "did you see the size of her feet?" with the serious it deserves. Seems as if people can't make a joke anymore without needing to put /sarcasm at the end of it.

G

What is up with people, its a nice offer, simple, if you are a student looking for a PC for your use, now you get a x-box thrown in, dammit even if you have a x-box, sell the new one!

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
[citation][nom]legacy7955[/nom]Stunning how marketing in the US has simply run of of control , that blurb mentioned in the story above is OUTRAGEOUS, the ultimate in productivity??!! Really..Up is down and down is up......The most disturbing aspect of it is that most folks won't even stop to think how utterly idiotic that statement is. Depressing![/citation]

Obviously someone needs to go back to logic 101 because they didn't get past their impression of a sentence to what Microsoft meant.

What they are saying is that with a Windows 7 PC you have the tools to be productive (unless you are graphic design major in which case your SOL) and with an Xbox with Xbox Live you have the tools to be entertained and to socially (heh) interact with others.

Seriously people, get over yourselves and stop being fanboys/girls. It really isn't that hard to figure it out.

macewrox

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
The more the PS3 has issues, and the more opportunities Microsoft gives for PS3 users to easily and cheaply get an Xbox 360, the more people will get one. The more people that have Xbox 360's, the more people will buy Xbox 360 only titles, giving Microsoft more long term profit.

Smooth move Microsoft, smooth move.

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
I cant believe how many people are bashing this deal... Last month if you buy a new PC you got.... NOTHING....

the 360 is great for a lot of stuff / netflix is one / plus some games are better on a 360 especially if you have friends over... mortal kombat comes to mind...

pc is great if you are by yourself, but college is about socializing

greliu

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
It's really not a bad deal for someone just going to college and needs a new pc. I mean, if i spend 700 bucks and get a free xbox, i wouldn't complain, if you don't play it, sell it.

G

"...Microsoft is giving students everything they need for a *successful* new school year."

Well I wouldn't call a year with those devices - successful .

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]dread_cthulhu[/nom]Really? They're not that big, it's the angle the picture was taken at. LOL.[/citation]
More likely it's the bad the photoshopping that was done to make her legs appear longer and sexier.

G

what about the people who dont go to school but buy a pc ....what a rip deal for them...i just spent 1700.00 ona pc and i dont get anything! what a rip! If you can aford to go to college you can aford to buy your own freaking xbox

Status
Not open for further replies.