Microsoft Letting Select Xiaomi Mi 4 (Android) Users Install Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulBags

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2015
Can't wait for the day I can install any os I want on my phone, just like a desktop. Good smartphone hardware isn't cheap, I can't afford to buy several phones just to try the competition.

aldaia

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
Playing old 90's games on my Nexus? Yes please. Even indie games should run well once DX12 becomes the standard.

Most phones, including Xiaomi Mi 4, run on ARM processors, and therefore despite that the GUI is windows 10, they are not backward compatible with old legacy windows software.
Even if the core was x86 i bet it wouldn't be possible to run old legacy windows software from 90's due to significant hardware differences (where is the 5-1/4 floppy disk ? :))

dgingeri

Distinguished

Actually, it certainly could be done through either virtualizing the app or through another wrapper. I've seen old DOS games playable through a Java wrapper on an ARM based tablet running Windows RT 8.1. (I ran WC2 on My Dell XPS10 through a web site.) I bet it could be done on a phone fairly easily.

Here: http://www.classicdosgames.com/online.html

aldaia

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010

Actually, it certainly could be done through either virtualizing the app or through another wrapper. I've seen old DOS games playable through a Java wrapper on an ARM based tablet running Windows RT 8.1. (I ran WC2 on My Dell XPS10 through a web site.) I bet it could be done on a phone fairly easily.

Here: http://www.classicdosgames.com/online.html

As I understood, the original poster meant to run applications natively.

Of course, it is perfectly possible to run any legacy software if you emulate the legacy hardware. But then you don't really require windows 10 for that, you can have an emulator/virtual machine on top of any OS. There are already DOS / windows emulators for android (e.g. DosBox Turbo, aDosBox, ...) and for IOs (e.g. iDos)

dgingeri

Distinguished

Ah, but his original post was about running them on his Nexus, which would pertain to running Windows 10 Phone on a different platform, with all the benefits to go with it. So, in theory, running Windows 10 Phone on a Nexus would allow him t run the Java versions of the DOS games.

avensis

Reputable
Apr 25, 2015
A partnership with Xiaomi, which is currently one of the most promising manufacturers could be a great opportunity for Microsoft, which still has a bit of trouble getting completely off its mobile OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.