Microsoft, Nokia Schedule Windows Phone Event for Sept. 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious to see to what hardware will this be paired... Sounds like a massive improvement over the previous 7.5.
Also, why are they holding back in terms of resolution support? Saving that for a future 8.5 iteration?

syrious1

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
my guess is the new devices will be released with 7.8 and then later upgraded. There will be no true WP8 OS on devices until after October.

just a guess..

If AT&T has anything to do with that roll-out, you might as well just wait till December to buy a phone .

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Funny, i'm 1 year into a 2 year WP7 contract so was a bit bummed till this afternoon, spoke to them and they will allow me to upgrade up to 12 months early
EPIC WIN, I think I will see what Samsung and Nokia have to show by end of September then have a chat with my carrier

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
[citation][nom]syrious1[/nom]my guess is the new devices will be released with 7.8 and then later upgraded. There will be no true WP8 OS on devices until after October. just a guess...[/citation]

WP7.8 is specifically designed for previous devices that can not support WP8. AS in WP7.8 will not include support for multicore processors or external storage cards among other things. It will however update some of the background systems and bring some of the new UI options to previous devices.

It be nice to finally see what they are launching as WP8 devices although the reported Nokia Phi is just a slight upgrade of the Lumia 900.
I too will be waiting for Samsung and maybe even HTC to enter the market before deciding. I just hope Samsung will push WP8 with a high end device like the GSIII.

Status
Not open for further replies.