Microsoft Not Cool With Hybrid Storage Netbooks

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

One can always upgrade by installing a HD. Anything said about hybrid drives (eg:4/8GB Flash and 80-160GB HD)?

derek2006

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
[citation][nom]mindless728[/nom]you know, this doesn't even bother me, i already have like 5 windows xp keys laying around (all legit) from being a computer science major[/citation]

Why don't you brag some more?

kewl munky

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
I am seriously fed up with microsoft being arrogant jackasses about everything. Recently I heard that they wouldn't put the netbook version of windows 7 on netbooks larger than 10" because they don't consider it a netbook. If they don't make the hardware they shouldn't be making decisions for it. There is absolutely no reason for them to not want this. Oh no! Windows might load up at a decent speed for once! Quickly, alert Mr. Ballmer so that our customers have to wait to use our product once again!

I hope onlive turns out to be awesome and there is a linux version allowing me to finally drop windows and stick solely to linux.

kyboc7th

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2009
OMG if this was MAC doing this we would all be loving them but since it's MS we cry bloody murder. MAC does everything it can to preven you even loading their os on non MAC pc.

waffle911

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
[citation][nom]squatchman[/nom]Drives of the same speed, how about when one drive is a SSD and the other a low power 5400 rpm notebook drive?All of a sudden memory management gets more complicated.[/citation]
Not really... I know a lot of people who had a Western Digital Raptor 10000RPM hard drive for the OS and programs and used a 1TB 7200RPM drive for storage. And I'm pretty sure the poster you were responding to implied using a new 7200RPM drive for the OS and programs but keeping an old 5400RPM drive solely for data storage. How is this different than using an SSD only for the OS and maybe the programs, then storing media and data on a regular HDD? All of the big, heavy programs can launch and function almost instantly while the smaller, lighter media files and data which take little time to load as it is can benefit from greater storage capacity. Trust me, this is a setup that's already been done successfully and without hassle. I use it on my computer. It does not matter how fast one drive is compared to another. The computer doesn't care. Servers do this on a regular basis, with high-speed system drives and slower storage drives. None of the problems you are imagining exist. Stop drinking the Microsoft Kool-Aid. Apple has a fresh-squeezed lemonade stand over there. which brings me to my next point...
[citation][nom]Kewl Munky[/nom]I am seriously fed up with microsoft being arrogant jackasses about everything. Recently I heard that they wouldn't put the netbook version of windows 7 on netbooks larger than 10" because they don't consider it a netbook. If they don't make the hardware they shouldn't be making decisions for it. There is absolutely no reason for them to not want this.[/citation]
While I disagree in that Microsoft has every reason to not want to this (it involves them making lots more money), you are right in that they are being hypocrites. Apple at least makes a passable excuse for having closed-system hardware requirements. Microsoft touts that the broad range of computers at affordable prices available with Windows is due to leaving the hardware platform open. If they don't want their software running on particular hardware setups, then they should build their own damn systems and find out for themselves what the customer really wants. No-one wants to pay regular laptop prices for a netbook that is still less powerful and less capable than a regular laptop, regardless of its storage capacity or screen size. If it has a severely handicapped ultra-low-voltage processor, then it is not a full-blown laptop, and shouldn't be priced like one. Especially if it's going to have difficulty running a modern OS like Vista.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS