News Microsoft now forces automatic OneDrive backups — feature enabled during clean Windows installs, users surprised with desktop icons and files

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
Pushing more users to Linux.
Gaming is getting better that's the only thing that's held me back.
My Steam Deck showed me just how far gaming on Linux has come.
IMO its nearly a non issue.

I dont even have a personal computer with Microsoft Windows on it anymore, only my work issued laptops.
IMO Windows is just spyware and adware.

Reactions: Grobe

FoxTread3

Prominent
Oct 17, 2023
For my home lab installs, I use NTlite to cut out all crap, including OneDrive from M$ ISOs.

For my corporate laptop, there is nothing I can do.

And color me surprised when after deleting a lot of supposedly local stuff (somebody had changed default locations) which I had never intended to go into M$ AI harvesters I received a notification that even after I had deleted all those files, the cloud copies would remain for (a very long time) and not just sync the deletions.

It helpfully gave me a URL where I could then delete those immediately.

Then it came back and told me that in fact there was a secondary copy, which again would remain available for a very long time and provided me with another URL where I could immediately delete those files.

I'm pretty sure that there is a third level cache beyond that, because if you're spending so much time to delete three copies, that means you consider that data extremely important, a helpful hint to steer those AI bots towards the truffles...

Yeah, I can't wait for the EU to sink some teeth into that, but I'm afraid that with the potential right shift on both sides of the Atlantic, that might just turn into extra copies for the new political management teams...
Hi, your comments regarding the number of copies that were created, made me smile. I'm sorry that you had to deal with that. The :smilingimp:in me makes me wonder if there isn't a fourth copy of your files somewhere in the MS ether:unsure::eek: Not to get too political, but I have wonder why a political shift to the Right is seen as the end of the world in every facet of Western Society? I totally agree with you in hoping that the EU continues to rein in big business. It's time to prevent companies from turning customers who purchase their products and services, into their property. "In Western society, you don't own devices or services.. They own you!":rage: Stay well.:giggle:

FoxTread3

Prominent
Oct 17, 2023
I buzzed through the article really quick... I'd like to assume that Windows 'Pro' licenses aren't included in this debacle? I've found over the years that it's worth the extra cost if nothing else than to have proper (or at least better) control over my OS.
Hi. Agreed. I have always used the Pro versions of Windows. I would like to think that your assumption that 'Pro' licenses aren't included "in this debacle" is correct, but I have my doubts. Fingers crossed🫰Stay well.:giggle:

FoxTread3

Prominent
Oct 17, 2023
Hi. I really appreciate the articles presented in the Tom's newsletters. Aside from the articles themselves. I find the forum comments informative, interesting, and sometimes amusing. My thanks to all that contribute information and advice here. 👍👍 Stay well all:blush:.

Reactions: Hotrod2go

Hotrod2go

Prominent
Jun 12, 2023
Wow, amazing but interesting in a way the comments on here about Windows being spyware...etc... yet end users have governments spying on them with every device that uses the internet. Don't matter what OS you use & doesn't matter what part of the world your in.
If one is really concerned about privacy, then don't use the internet.

OneMoreUser

Prominent
Jan 2, 2023
Why should people not use OneDrive? I don't want it, but it is useful. I have used DropBox in the past for some documents. It's a pain in the nether regions imo but what i don't get here is why you're suggesting that storing files in a cloud service is an act of self harm or lunacy?

Also, it isn't free if he's got a 365 sub.
Everyone just needs to remember "the cloud" isn't some magical place where nothing bad can happen, it is literally just someone else computer. When you store something in the cloud it means no longer having complete control of the data, apart form of course any legal agreements/contracts where you better make sure to read the fine print.

Likely everything will be fine, but the thing is having your data somewhere on the internet connectable 24-7 and it sitting in a place with lots of other people data, that that makes for a much more interesting target for hackers than if you just store the data locally. And if your local backup is some external drive not even connected most of the time, the no hackers are ever gonna get at it.

A local backup is a good thing. And even better if you also keep an extra copy in another location, like say at a friends place or in a bank together with those special family heirlooms.

Reactions: FoxTread3

OneMoreUser

Prominent
Jan 2, 2023
Wow, amazing but interesting in a way the comments on here about Windows being spyware...etc... yet end users have governments spying on them with every device that uses the internet. Don't matter what OS you use & doesn't matter what part of the world your in.
If one is really concerned about privacy, then don't use the internet.
So is your logic, that if you're not able to control some things there is no reason to control those you can?
Do you really think people should just keep quiet and take it, surely not!

Reactions: Fulgurant

FoxTread3

Prominent
Oct 17, 2023
Why should people not use OneDrive? I don't want it, but it is useful. I have used DropBox in the past for some documents. It's a pain in the nether regions imo but what i don't get here is why you're suggesting that storing files in a cloud service is an act of self harm or lunacy?

Also, it isn't free if he's got a 365 sub.
June 28, 2024 - I believe commenter "OneeMoreUser" made some valid points in their response to your comments. I will use this opportunity to reiterate one of my favorite rants on trusting big companies to "do the right thing by their "customers" (read that as slaves), and "convenience". 1) There seems to be an almost religious belief among the Tech minded in putting all of their faith in Tech companies and devices. Banking is a good example, a long with things like using swipe cards to go in and out of apartment and office buildings. Some years ago, there was a big storm that knocked out power in certain areas of New York City. The end result was that people couldn't use ATMs, and people were either locked out of, or locked into buildings whose security requires the use of swipe cards. The point is that everything that relies on electricity and connection to the "cloud" is extremely vulnerable to acts of nature and hackers. If you are confident that you will always be able to connect with the "cloud", that's fine. I can tell you that my ISP supplied me with a new router about three months ago, and shortly there after raised my monthly fee by about fifteen percent. Since then, my service has gotten worse with the service being out numerous times some weeks, and ranging in time from a few minutes, to hours. I use Google voice for my communications which means that when the internet goes down. I can't make calls or receive texts. I do have a cell phone for emergencies, but everything I do is via the internet for the most part. 2) Convenience - All of these companies what us to "Snyc" everything for our "convenience", but it's not actually for the customers. It's a way for them to know as much as possible about their customers, and at times controlling them. Often, if the less than savvy Tech users connect all of their services and devices. They have made themselves vulnerable not only to the companies they are trusting, but to the hackers that frequently attack those same companies. My ISP charges me extra to pay my monthly service charge by check. They constantly pressure me to go to "Paperless payment". I refuse for several reasons. One, is that I don't want them to have anymore of my banking information than what they can glean from my checks. Two, is because I'm helping the people at the check clearing centers stay employed. To end this rant I will say that I learned in past days that my ISP was hacked, and a lot of customers' financial information was stolen. So much for "convenience". Hackers are successful on a daily basis breaking into all kinds of systems. Financial institutions, Governments (think about the U.K.'s NHS hack a while back), Tech firms, and Utilities. Often the hacks are never publicly reported, for fear of losing customer and public confidence. Unless people have physical backups to everything that is important to them. They are going to be SOL when Nature and/or the hackers strike. I'm referring to having cash on hand, important files on physical media that can be accessed immediately, etc. Some Sociologists point out that humans are very bad at planning for the future, and preparing for "worse case scenarios". The over reliance on Tech, and blind trust in big business are perfect examples of that. Stay well. 😊

FoxTread3

Prominent
Oct 17, 2023
Everyone just needs to remember "the cloud" isn't some magical place where nothing bad can happen, it is literally just someone else computer. When you store something in the cloud it means no longer having complete control of the data, apart form of course any legal agreements/contracts where you better make sure to read the fine print.

Likely everything will be fine, but the thing is having your data somewhere on the internet connectable 24-7 and it sitting in a place with lots of other people data, that that makes for a much more interesting target for hackers than if you just store the data locally. And if your local backup is some external drive not even connected most of the time, the no hackers are ever gonna get at it.

A local backup is a good thing. And even better if you also keep an extra copy in another location, like say at a friends place or in a bank together with those special family heirlooms.
June 28, 2024 - I totally agree with you. There are a good number Tech channels and pundits that I have followed for decades, that hold the same views that you do. The back up solutions that you mention here, are the same as theirs. Unfortunately, some of them have "drunk the Kool-Aid", when comes to having an over reliance on Tech generally speaking. I sent a long commentary to 35below0 to add to the comments you sent to them. You can read in my reply posted to their original comments, if you have the time and inclination to do so. Stay well :giggle:

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
Hi. Agreed. I have always used the Pro versions of Windows. I would like to think that your assumption that 'Pro' licenses aren't included "in this debacle" is correct, but I have my doubts. Fingers crossed🫰Stay well.:giggle:
No, that's not how it works anymore. Since 10, Pro offers little more than remote desktop and maybe a few other things that make sense in a business enviroment. For a home, gaming PC, you have no reason to spend extra. You get nothing for it, certainly not immunity from unwanted features.

In older days of multiple editions of Windows, Home editions were cut down. Professional was the enthusiast's edition.
Microsoft got rid of a lot of that complexity and reduced everything to just Home or Pro, with Home having basically everything.

That's old kind of thinking. It doesn't apply anymore. Not to 10/11/12 though it does to Win 7 or XP.

Reactions: FoxTread3

FoxTread3

Prominent
Oct 17, 2023
No, that's not how it works anymore. Since 10, Pro offers little more than remote desktop and maybe a few other things that make sense in a business enviroment. For a home, gaming PC, you have no reason to spend extra. You get nothing for it, certainly not immunity from unwanted features.

In older days of multiple editions of Windows, Home editions were cut down. Professional was the enthusiast's edition.
Microsoft got rid of a lot of that complexity and reduced everything to just Home or Pro, with Home having basically everything.

That's old kind of thinking. It doesn't apply anymore. Not to 10/11/12 though it does to Win 7 or XP.
June 29, 2024 - Thank you for the info. You are most kind to provide it. Stay well. :giggle:

Reactions: 35below0

Hotrod2go

Prominent
Jun 12, 2023
So is your logic, that if you're not able to control some things there is no reason to control those you can?
Do you really think people should just keep quiet and take it, surely not!
If only it was that simple, you think an individual like yourself or me for that matter is going to change things over the whole internet & the way its setup?
Imo, I'm being practical about the whole matter.

NatalieEGH

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2012
When Microsoft is giving each account an Exobyte, I might be interested. I currently have about 120TB in use on my system with a total of 347TB, most backups. I add most days between 10 and 50GB to my storage which maybe once a quarter I will go through (or when drives start getting over 95% full) and clean up removing duplication.

this was also on windows 8/10 not sure whats new, but before if you had onedrive sync enabled and you installed fresh windows and logged in with online account, sync would be enabled
if you keep it disabled and install windows, it should stay disabled....or did this changed?