News Microsoft Now Sells Windows 11 Licenses Directly to PC DIYers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 9, 2023
Just built a new PC and installed Win 11 Pro. Now to "activate it" I need an activation key. I decided to try Kinguin for the first time and my key won't work. I've tried contacting them for over a week and they haven't helped fix my issue (key says it's in use already). I was forced to contact my credit card company to dispute the charge. I will never use Kinguin again.

Reactions: runner2050

BillyBuerger

Reputable
Jan 12, 2021
Just built a new PC and installed Win 11 Pro. Now to "activate it" I need an activation key. I decided to try Kinguin for the first time and my key won't work. I've tried contacting them for over a week and they haven't helped fix my issue (key says it's in use already). I was forced to contact my credit card company to dispute the charge. I will never use Kinguin again.

I've used some of these "key" sellers in the past and ran into similar issues. I never buy Microsoft licenses by anyone other than Microsoft. These companies resell the same key multiple times which is how they have low prices. You might get lucky and it'll work once. But if you install again at a later time, it's pretty sure that the key has been over activated and you'll be stuck without a working key. Stay away from them. MS prices suck but it's not worth it to deal with these shady companies.

Jan 9, 2023
I've used some of these "key" sellers in the past and ran into similar issues. I never buy Microsoft licenses by anyone other than Microsoft. These companies resell the same key multiple times which is how they have low prices. You might get lucky and it'll work once. But if you install again at a later time, it's pretty sure that the key has been over activated and you'll be stuck without a working key. Stay away from them. MS prices suck but it's not worth it to deal with these shady companies.

Yeah. I've built PC's for a VERY long time and this is the first time I tried this - and the last.

D

Deleted member 14196

Thank God they’re pulling the plug on Windows 7. That was one long in the tooth POS.