News Microsoft Now Sells Windows 11 Licenses Directly to PC DIYers

thisisaname

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
Quite an increase in price from what I paid for Windows 7 from Microsoft. I think I paid £49.99 (early launch offer) shame they are not doing an offer for this version.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Please don't post a link to off-channel cheap license key sites. Those will be summarily deleted.
Will posting a link to an article from this very site that has links to off-channel cheap license key sites be summarily deleted?

I won't post the link, but the article is called: "How to Get Windows 11 or Windows 10 for Free (or Under $20)"

USAFRet

Titan
Will posting a link to an article from this very site that has links to off-channel cheap license key sites be summarily deleted?

I won't post the link, but the article is called: "How to Get Windows 11 or Windows 10 for Free (or Under $20)"
Yes, we obviously know about that link/article.
And have had multiple 'discussions' about it.

BillyBuerger

Reputable
Jan 12, 2021
Am I missing something? Windows 11 ISO images have been available to install windows 11 on any PC. Install without a license, then go to the store and buy a license. PC is licensed for Windows 11 without having to upgrade form Windows 10. Is this something different from that?

USAFRet

Titan
Am I missing something? Windows 11 ISO images have been available to install windows 11 on any PC. Install without a license, then go to the store and buy a license. PC is licensed for Windows 11 without having to upgrade form Windows 10. Is this something different from that?
Up until now, there was no Windows 11 license available.
You could use a Win 10/8/7 license, on a fresh Win 11 install, no problem.

But there was not a direct purchase of Win 11 available.

The install was free to download, as it is/was with Win 10.

svan71

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The last time I gave $ to Bill Gates was for 98SE an upgrade needed to fix all the problems with 98. I don't pay for windows anymore. Perhaps if they removed all their data mining code I would consider it.

Asakha

Commendable
May 20, 2021
WHAT ? We still have to pay a license to give away our informations and to have ads push up on W11 ?! If at least we were getting a W11 without all that crap when we were paying a license !

wr3zzz

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Retail license keys is basically just a date stamp so Microsoft can stop the free OS upgrades any time they want since Windows 10 keys sold previously work just fine for virgin Windows 11 installations same as Windows7/8 keys.

Retail license keys is basically just a date stamp so Microsoft can stop the free OS upgrades any time they want since Windows 10 keys sold previously work just fine for virgin Windows 11 installations same as Windows7/8 keys.
As long as the hardware is supported, you can STILL upgrade Windows 7, 8, and 10 keys to Windows 11. However, Windows 7 and 8 need to be upgraded to Windows 10 first. Microsoft wants everyone on the latest Windows so I don't think they'll be getting rid of the free upgrade path any time soon.

Pollopesca

Reputable
Mar 19, 2021
As long as the hardware is supported, you can STILL upgrade Windows 7, 8, and 10 keys to Windows 11. However, Windows 7 and 8 need to be upgraded to Windows 10 first.

This is incorrect. I have used dozens of Win 7 keys that have not been used for 10 to activate Win11 with no issue.

Colif

Win 11 Master
For a short time, relatively, there was a free upgrade offered by Microsoft that allowed you to upgrade Vista to 7.
if you had bought your PC in last 6 months prior to win 7 release, yes
According to Microsoft's marketing systems sold ~6 months before the release of Windows Vista were eligible for a Free Upgrade to Windows 7. While this Free Upgrade Path long expired the activation mechanism for this Free Upgrade Path is still in place, the presence of a System Locked Preinstallation Certificate (version 2.1).

So OEM PC might have that option but if your PC not made by a big OEM, chances are you didn't get that offer.

it wasn't until 10 that you could just upgrade and not have to clean install.

Mar 16, 2019
The last time I gave $ to Bill Gates was for 98SE an upgrade needed to fix all the problems with 98. I don't pay for windows anymore. Perhaps if they removed all their data mining code I would consider it.

When I read the above "I don't pay for Windows anymore" the first thing I thought of was that he was getting Windows through other than (Normal) channels. Until I read USAFRet's answer about Linux etc. nothing else crossed my mind. Guess I should clean up my stikin thinkin.