Microsoft Nukes 30-Day Grace Period with Windows 8

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Windows seems to be a more niche OS than a broad consumer OS. It has certains advantages for a select few customers, but the vast majority of comments about Windows 8 is negative or neutral. Not the most promising results for a new OS. When people use it on the desktop, they generally hate it for it's schizophrenic interface. Sure it's useable on a touch tablet, but the vast majority of PCs out there don't have a touch screen, and I wouldn't even want to use it for a touch desktop.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
lol... Office 2010 does this, and it hasn't stopped me from pirating it at all. I downloaded a trial of it, kept my trial key, and keep using activators on it. (I've never actually activated the trial key.) Just another way to screw over your legitimate customers, as the pirates will have this down in no time.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Wow, even chopping out the 30-day trial period. Like a turd - they want to make sure they get your money... because people WILL be demanding refunds for their Win8 systems.

davemaster84

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
[citation][nom]ejb222[/nom]Please explain why it will be worse than Vista. No one seems to be able to explain this yet.[/citation]

Sure. Well as everyone knows windows xp happened to be a great OS specially servicepack 2, it was fast, didn't require that much from hardware and was stable (as windows can be) . When vista was released people expected a lot from it, and yes the appearance was improved and there was also some nice features like aero and the way you can search things from every windows, but besides that vista was to damn hardware exigent and wasn't as stable was windows xp, for games for an instance the ammount of ram required by the OS made it difficult to play with certain mid, low end systems. Windwos 7 took what was good from vista and also corrected it's flaws, anyway Windows 8 will be more awful than vista due to:
1. It wont have aero anymore
2. They cut some basic features as dvd playability from windows media player in other to make you spend more money
3. They are trying to copy the apple apps store, that it's going to be called "metro" , allowing them to limit the way we use hardware
4. As many people think, I believe that windows 8 was inteded to be mostly an OS for tablets and mobile systems, even game developers are skeptic about W8. Regards

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
They should at least allow a 24 hour trial period. What happens if you need to configure your router to get internet access? You can't really do that before installing the OS.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
[citation][nom]davemaster84[/nom]Sure. Well as everyone knows windows xp happened to be a great OS specially servicepack 2, it was fast, didn't require that much from hardware and was stable (as windows can be) . When vista was released people expected a lot from it, and yes the appearance was improved and there was also some nice features like aero and the way you can search things from every windows, but besides that vista was to damn hardware exigent and wasn't as stable was windows xp, for games for an instance the ammount of ram required by the OS made it difficult to play with certain mid, low end systems. Windwos 7 took what was good from vista and also corrected it's flaws, anyway Windows 8 will be more awful than vista due to: 1. It wont have aero anymore2. They cut some basic features as dvd playability from windows media player in other to make you spend more money3. They are trying to copy the apple apps store, that it's going to be called "metro" , allowing them to limit the way we use hardware4. As many people think, I believe that windows 8 was inteded to be mostly an OS for tablets and mobile systems, even game developers are skeptic about W8. Regards[/citation]
1. it has aero and it even adds hardware acceleration to it
2. you don`t have to pay anything to play DVDs , you have VLC / BSPlayer / Media player classic etc that play DVD for free.
3. who cares about app shops ? you can still buy loads of shit outside it (like you would by too many apps for 1 pc anyway)
4. yes, the metro start button is more tablet orientated , but the desktop experience is just as to any other windows out there and even better and faster (they finally brought back the "up" button in windows explorer for instance, it was removed since vista if i`m not mistaking)

hemelskonijn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
Hmmz in windows 98(SE) you could just install and when it asked for the product key reboot in to safe mode and start regedit changing first boot product key and activation values would do the trick. Maybe we can use tricks like that again ... and if not we can always manually extract the cabs and work our way in from there.

Last but not least it is not unthinkable to reprogram the EFI section that holds a pre-activated key (if needs be by exchanging the chip for a freshly programmed one), i guess its time to play again!!

sun-devil99

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
[citation][nom]daglesj[/nom]I really don't think MS expects many current Windows 7 users to move over either.[/citation]
Even when 'bribing' them with a 'free' (after rebate) upgrade when purchasing a new computer. Bought a new laptop last weekend and had an offer for $15 upgrade to Windows 8 and then I could claim a $15 reward card after I completed the upgrade.

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
[citation][nom]ohim[/nom] (they finally brought back the "up" button in windows explorer for instance, it was removed since vista if i`m not mistaking)[/citation]

You are somewhat mistaken, they removed the button, but it's still functionally present (and improved) in the Path bar (clicking a folder in the path bar navigates you up to that folder). Personally, I prefer the new way, but having the button too never hurts.

jackbling

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
[citation][nom]davemaster84[/nom]Doens't seem to hard to hack, whatever why people should bother even trying? Windows 8 will be worst than vista for sure.[/citation]

If it gains even 1% performance, im there.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]They should at least allow a 24 hour trial period. What happens if you need to configure your router to get internet access? You can't really do that before installing the OS.[/citation] Why?
If you are a power user who built his own system, the network would already be up and running and you'd have at least 1 additional computer in your home (I have 4, my son has 2).

If you are a novice who bought your PC from a store, it is already activated. If you got your internet service at the same time, the cable guy would have already set you up.

Fokissed

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
[citation][nom]shafe88[/nom]What about someone who loses their job and haft to choose between food or internet.[/citation]
And still manages to buy Windows 8?

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]ohim[/nom]1. it has aero and it even adds hardware acceleration to it2. you don`t have to pay anything to play DVDs , you have VLC / BSPlayer / Media player classic etc that play DVD for free.3. who cares about app shops ? you can still buy loads of shit outside it (like you would by too many apps for 1 pc anyway)4. yes, the metro start button is more tablet orientated , but the desktop experience is just as to any other windows out there and even better and faster (they finally brought back the "up" button in windows explorer for instance, it was removed since vista if i`m not mistaking)[/citation]
1 - Aero is a skin style, it is GONE from Windows r8pe. Its now quite ugly. RP-version 8440 looked very nice... but that is gone now. The Desktop UI is as flat and ugly as METRO.

2 - A typical user may not know that, and its stupid to not include it. Its the least of the problems with Windows r8pe, but its another sign of stupidity from microsoft.

3 - Yes... and no. If you buy a WART tablet (Windows Arm RT) - you cannot. Windows r8pe is a migration process OFF of Windows. MS already stated at this time, there won't be another Windows. There is no "window" in the Metro interface... did you notice that?

4 - Having a hidden button is NOT tablet orientated. The Start button is still there, just a bitch to get to. Its stupid - since WinR8PE tablets have a physical "windows"/home button as required for certification. So MS should have made Windows R8PE have the options to have a normal desktop interface for such a form-factor.

5 - Yes, I noticed really quickly that they brought back the UP button. There is a lot to like about the Desktop UI in Windows R8PE... besides them killing AERO. Metro makes it all not worth it.

stige

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
[citation][nom]davemaster84[/nom]Sure. Well as everyone knows windows xp happened to be a great OS specially servicepack 2, it was fast, didn't require that much from hardware and was stable (as windows can be) . When vista was released people expected a lot from it, and yes the appearance was improved and there was also some nice features like aero and the way you can search things from every windows, but besides that vista was to damn hardware exigent and wasn't as stable was windows xp, for games for an instance the ammount of ram required by the OS made it difficult to play with certain mid, low end systems. Windwos 7 took what was good from vista and also corrected it's flaws, anyway Windows 8 will be more awful than vista due to: 1. It wont have aero anymore2. They cut some basic features as dvd playability from windows media player in other to make you spend more money3. They are trying to copy the apple apps store, that it's going to be called "metro" , allowing them to limit the way we use hardware4. As many people think, I believe that windows 8 was inteded to be mostly an OS for tablets and mobile systems, even game developers are skeptic about W8. Regards[/citation]

lol wut? selective memory there, buddy. using XP as an example is absurd. XP was universally panned when it was launched because of the debacle with win2k / ME. everyone worth their salt stuck with '98 until well after XP SP1. how does no one remember this?

1 - no aero? so what? not everyone wants it. this doesn't make it a bad OS. it makes it not YOUR preferred OS. there's a difference. speaking categorically about your opinions is silly. credibility -1
2- you have no idea what you're talking about. you're DVD drive will still R & W. think about that. you've taken the "DVD won't play without purchase" comment from the information about WMC and included it in the regular Win8 discussion. credibility -2
3 - an inarticulate and incomplete sentence hyping up some vague fear about... something. credibility -3
4 - you realize that mobile devices will eventually be outnumbering desktops, yes? you can QQ about it from a gamer / power user perspective but the reality is that average Joe Schmoe makes companies the $$$ and average Joe Schmoe wants the mobile experience on mobile devices.

it seems like MS can't win. they're constantly poked fun of, rightfully so, for being slow to the show (if they even bother to show up) and here we are with MS actually leading the charge and they're still getting the short end of the stick. lol.

why am i arguing on the internet? lost cause.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]1 - Aero is a skin style, it is GONE from Windows r8pe. Its now quite ugly. RP-version 8440 looked very nice... but that is gone now. The Desktop UI is as flat and ugly as METRO.2 - A typical user may not know that, and its stupid to not include it. Its the least of the problems with Windows r8pe, but its another sign of stupidity from microsoft.3 - Yes... and no. If you buy a WART tablet (Windows Arm RT) - you cannot. Windows r8pe is a migration process OFF of Windows. MS already stated at this time, there won't be another Windows. There is no "window" in the Metro interface... did you notice that?4 - Having a hidden button is NOT tablet orientated. The Start button is still there, just a bitch to get to. Its stupid - since WinR8PE tablets have a physical "windows"/home button as required for certification. So MS should have made Windows R8PE have the options to have a normal desktop interface for such a form-factor.5 - Yes, I noticed really quickly that they brought back the UP button. There is a lot to like about the Desktop UI in Windows R8PE... besides them killing AERO. Metro makes it all not worth it.[/citation]
1. i know loads of people who don`t give a *** about aero (many even revert windows to 2000 style), but for some this migh be a point also for looks but usualy who cares about looks use rainmeter or other styling stuff. For my personal tastes Win 8`s default style is neat and quite nice (beauty is in the eye of the beholder)
2. I don`t see anybody bitching about bluray playback around, but we cry about dvds because in 2012 we don`t have the sufficient intelligence to ask somebody for a dvd player or google.
3. we talk about desktop here not tablets, and there will always be a free market just like on apple`s jailbrake phones.
4. you have a windows button on your keyboard, and the start button is not a bitch to get it , on the contraire , till now you had to look where you click for start now you just go max to your left lower corner for it, you don`t even have to look where you click (ps, it has even new right click meny for fast access to some stuff)
5. the up is just an addition, and like someone else said it was still present trough the path bar. 5th point at which you still cry about looks and yet you have nothing to say about performance.

Last time when people complained was not the great looks of vista over XP but the "bad performance due to crap hardware" back then, now in 2012 we cry about looks and care less about the fact that 8 is better than 7 at this chapter. And using "r8pe" as a name to it just makes you sound childish about something you don`t want.

1 thing that i like also about 8 is that you can mount .iso files without the need of 3rd party program , though it seems they still need some work to do with it since it doesn`t really mouts bluray disks corectly for playback.

What i don`t get is why there is still a 32 bit version.. is not like somebody with a pentium 3 or 4 will ever install this on their pc.

G

It's like MS is done ROFL about how many people are not going to buy Windows 8 and they're just spouting more random reasons why not to buy Windows 8 as they're trying to catch their breath while laughing so hard at their failure. Just imagine a really drunk guy as Microsoft.

"ejb222"
o_O Really? You're really asking someone WHY they wont buy windows 8 and the reasons? REALLY?!? Okay... here's a fast 5 I just thought of;

1. It doesn't have a start menu
2. The "metro" interface is garbage and is meant for smart phones ONLY
3. The activation is (now) horrid and not everyone has internet access, come to America sometime.
4. No media player features, you pay EXTRA for those. Why even bother...
5. It's a new release of an OS, and only morons migrate to a new OS at release date. The rest of us wait until an OS matures. I waited to migrate to XP from 98SE until SP2 fixed most of the show stopping issues. Currently I feel Windows 7 is too immature to migrate from XP at this point, "still". So, why in the hell would I migrate to 8 when 7 still isn't mature enough for my needs? Hell, just found out today that 7 doesnt even support KVM's properly. When I use my scroll wheel on my test workstation, it goes back and forward thru directories and/or web pages instead of "scrolling", MS has no known fix. Yeah... I'm good.... I'll wait until SP2, or SP3 to "try" Windows 7 again. Stability is my #1 concern, eye candy is my very last.

my 2 cents

hemelskonijn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
What does r8pe mean?, i thought in 1337 speak numbers are used as letter which makes is rbpe which makes no sense i thought some time numbers are pronounced like usual and used to make a word shorter but raidpe or raeightpe makes no sense to me either.

I have to say that i don't use aero on my windows system simply because the little extra tax on the system and my wish to keep my OS clean and conventional (windows 2k look i know i am old). I know i am one of a niche that prefers this and i wont force any one to do this but i would like to keep the option.

G

Windows 8 Pro also has KMS and MAK authentications. My company has VL for 8 Pro and I just started playing with it. I had to change the key from the KMS key through the CMD line to the MAK key so I could activate, since we didn't want to use a KMS.

Status
Not open for further replies.