Microsoft Nukes Recent Office for iPad Rumor

Status
Not open for further replies.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
It's sad when you build a program and have to send it to the "master" for approval.....

I will never build apps for apple and will never buy one again.....

That goes double for all their slave labor and patent troll shenanigans.....

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
If Microsoft is releasing an Office app for iPad, it's likely similar to the version slated for WOA, as both will be ARM-based.
This shows complete lack of understanding of software development. The CPU instruction set has little to no impact on development since it's completely isolated from the source code via the compiler (about the only matter left to care about would be byte ordering). And this has been the case for the last 50 years. The rest of the platform differences are abstracted via drivers and those are immaterial for an application. It's the OS environment that dictates how close two platforms are (including the driver model to some extent).
Both Windows and iOS are highly unique software environment, so it's not easy to share code between them. It's true that cross-platform frameworks exist, but these strip many of the cool features of the environment so you shouldn't expect a company like Microsoft to resort to using them (we certainly don't do that in our company). That means at the very least the UI is written independently for each OS. And don't even get me started on that blasted language Objective-C that Apple mandates developers use...

G

I reckon the iOS version doesn't exist. Windows 8 is Microsoft's answer to the tablet. They want to get buy in from consumers and corporates alike. By offering Office on the iOS platform, they are only hindering themselves when they dorelease Windows 8 as most consumers wont want to jump as they can do all the same work related stuff on the iPad using the same program. Releasing Office on iOS could also lead to a situation where businesses now start rolling out iPads to their executives and start providing real support for them. This is due to the fact that the main set of tools the company uses are now available on a tablet and with no alternative platform to for the tablet the iPad would become the tablet of choice. When W8 is released these corporates will not suddenly switch over.

The tablet war is one of Apps. It would be silly for Microsoft to release Office for iOS before W8 is out. But again I could just be super tired and not thinking straight

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Sharing MS Office with the iPad certainly doesn't come under any kind of FRAND agreement, MS should play hardball and anyone who wants to use Office with a tablet will have to buy a Windows tablet.
That's most of the business/corporate world, bye bye iToy

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]DjEaZy[/nom]Microsoft Nukes Recent Office for iPad Rumor And Shoots It Self In The Foot.[/citation]
Unless they want to attract the business crowd, since businesses already use Office and are familiar with it. If MS makes mobile Office a Windows 8 Tablet only app I see businesses moving away from iPads and to Windows 8. Having a well known and already accustomed to UI for the workers is a big plus for businesses, specially if you consider the cross-syncing between WP7, Windows 8 tablet and Windows 7 or Windows 8 PC. Why give Apple Office and make businesses less likely to look at Windows 8 when they can keep it as an ace for themselves to draw them in, seems like a smart move to me.

classzero

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]It's sad when you build a program and have to send it to the "master" for approval.....I will never build apps for apple and will never buy one again.....That goes double for all their slave labor and patent troll shenanigans.....[/citation]

Funny you would say that since Microsoft has stated their app store will be similar. o_O

G

Do the Apple bashing trolls ever get tired of looking like filthy, ignorant geeks? I used to work with your type every day. No company could ever offer me a high enough salary to do it again. Absolutely the worst creatures walking the Earth today.

Geeks, no one gives a gnat's fart about you or your opinions on what constitutes a useful device. I know Hollywood has gone through a phase of trying to make geeks seem sexy and generally smart, but the spotlight has revealed the reality: you know some computing stuff, and that's effing *it*. No, gaming and anime and Doctor Who minutiae do not count as being smart.

You do not know everything. You not liking a device does not make it a toy and people buying something you don't like does not make them stupid. Some day that fact will finally seep through your thick, dense skulls and you will realize what horrible individuals you have been and how decrepit your personalities have become- I estimate somewhere in your late 40s from what I saw.

Get over your tiny, insignificant, repulsive selves.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]It's sad when you build a program and have to send it to the "master" for approval.....I will never build apps for apple and will never buy one again.....That goes double for all their slave labor and patent troll shenanigans.....[/citation]

Because Apple wants garbage Apps on their platform...lol. Not that your bad but high standards must exist for a great product. Apple bashers never cease to amaze bashing with any and every Apple related product...lol.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Sharing MS Office with the iPad certainly doesn't come under any kind of FRAND agreement, MS should play hardball and anyone who wants to use Office with a tablet will have to buy a Windows tablet.

As much as I hate to agree. I think you are right. Give the church of iCrap and its Zombies the same medicine that the Apple jail dishes out.

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
Smart move to keep the Office suite away from the iPads. One of the biggest complaints about the iPad I hear is from people who would like to use it as a desktop/notebook replacement, but cannot justify it without a decent word processor. And just, just as they are about to give up trying to word process on an iPad, along comes the Windows 8 tablet! Could be interesting to see.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
" SiLinski 02/22/2012 11:56 PM"

Your rant is exactly what I would expect from a Church of iCrap zombie. Go get a brain ! You even
have the odasity to make ageist comments. The reason smart people hate Apple is because Apple promotes locked down standards and undermines the freedom of the user and the march of technology. Add to that defrauding them by overcharging for their mediocre hardware. I forgot to mention the poor treatment of their workers. If Apple made open user friendly products no one would be complaining.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]robochump[/nom]Because Apple wants garbage Apps on their platform...lol. Not that your bad but high standards must exist for a great product. Apple bashers never cease to amaze bashing with any and every Apple related product...lol.[/citation]
I know right, only the best for the Apple AppStore, like this fart apps, o yea or the beer app, or maybe all those stupid voice cloning and morphing apps... please think over your replies before you post. Apple AppStore quality is no better then any other app store, they just like making sure that no one adds something they don't like or anything they can clone and add as their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.