Microsoft Offering $20K, Office Space to Kinect Developers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
I hope Microsoft has moved fast enough in integrating its Kinect into Win 8. Nothing helps popularizing a technology better than having a tons of content to support it and nourish it.

I like to see Kinect in phone, tablet, desktop and HTPC. However, they have to make it work with the phones/tablets/laptops built in front camera(s).?!??

G

Kinect is already dying big time. It was a gimmick with a limited lifespan. I already see a discounting going on in software. No developer is going to want to get involved in that.

sixdegree

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
The best thing ever came out from this program would probably be an Angry Birds Kinect game. For $49.99. Kinect accessories sold separately.

G

Parsian is right,. one reason why Apple got so successful on their products (iTunes/iPad/iPhone).

Microsoft is doing the same, don't just look at what Kinect offers right now but also what it could bring in the future, one thing MS so far realized. For one, it prevents gamers from sitting all day like mindless zombies; provides almost full body exercise and provides way that the whole family could engage.

For professionals (or anything that requires accurate 2D/3D navigation and control),. mouse and keyboard will do- but it also means that you're probably stuck up in your desk all the time.

Integration is key,. just like modern phones do..

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]jescott418[/nom]Kinect is already dying big time. It was a gimmick with a limited lifespan. I already see a discounting going on in software. No developer is going to want to get involved in that.[/citation]

in gameing, i hope it dies, as tech, i hope it lives.

[citation][nom]Friskiest[/nom]Parsian is right,. one reason why Apple got so successful on their products (iTunes/iPad/iPhone).Microsoft is doing the same, don't just look at what Kinect offers right now but also what it could bring in the future, one thing MS so far realized. For one, it prevents gamers from sitting all day like mindless zombies; provides almost full body exercise and provides way that the whole family could engage.For professionals (or anything that requires accurate 2D/3D navigation and control),. mouse and keyboard will do- but it also means that you're probably stuck up in your desk all the time.Integration is key,. just like modern phones do..[/citation]

well with 3d, get 4 higher resolutions on kinect, and have it scan the object, its now 3d and its moddled, and its textured, now go in and clean it up and add details.

That desperate, eh?

Well, that's what happens when you have a flash-in-the-pan gimmick. They should've seen this coming when everyone got tired of their Wii after 6 months. There's a good reason for this: It doesn't take very long before the novelty of motion-based controls is outweighed by the fact that it's not very much fun to stand around in your living room for 3 hours flapping your arms like an idiot.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]capt_taco[/nom]That desperate, eh?Well, that's what happens when you have a flash-in-the-pan gimmick. They should've seen this coming when everyone got tired of their Wii after 6 months. There's a good reason for this: It doesn't take very long before the novelty of motion-based controls is outweighed by the fact that it's not very much fun to stand around in your living room for 3 hours flapping your arms like an idiot.[/citation]

the games that we wanted just never came. we wanted 1 to 1 fighting, online sword fights, but it never came, and what most games come to is a waggle fest.

granted, wii and move are great when done right, and not just thrown in because they can, look at re4 on the wii as a prime example.

the kinect, however, is a whole body motion controller, that doesn't work right all the time, even when it is working, and the games that can be fun on it, are really just party games, see they took a controller away from the player for much of it.

now thats not saying a little kid cant get enjoyment from it, but its not going to be a good hard core experience. that said, augmenting aspects of the game to the thing, like that one skateboard demo, where they scanned art and it was in game, great idea.

the main use of the kinect will be outside of games geared for kids, a short sight on microsofts part.

another great area is if they open kinect up for the indi developers.

[citation][nom]capt_taco[/nom]That desperate, eh?[/citation]

More like they are simply investing in their product. Microsoft understands better than anyone else that developers and a users base is critical to success of any product.

Of course, haters will always hate.

theconsolegamer

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
Good ol' M$ never changes. Developing a product that was not theirs as if it were it's own. Lying to their own consumers to their faces knowing they will still eat all the crap they can bite directly from their asses. Similarly like Apple. Oh the irony.

G

@theconsolegamer. Now days it is required the use of already know technology in order to develop new use for them. Just like you said, even Apple is doing it. They are not creating the wheel, they are just finding more ways to use it. I just wish they stopped patenting nonsense. Is like patenting that the wheel, not the physics part of it, but the fact that the it can go down or up a hill. /facepalm

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
This sounds kinda funky. I would want to read the fine print.

First, you must prove yourself by writing some game/app that uses Kinect. If chosen, you will get a "$20K investment", which includes office space, SDKs, and training and support.

It doesn't say that they are going to give you $20K. They are saying they will spend money to make you a better Kinect developer. Sounds fishy to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.