Microsoft Offers Same-Day Windows 10 Upgrade For Your Windows Device Or You Get A Free Dell Inspiron 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

HyperMatrix

Distinguished
May 23, 2015
Yes...most successful Windows OS ever. Most used OS on steam survey. Given to existing users for free. Must be desperation. They really need you to not pay them and have that free OS or they'll go out of business.

Kiril_Petkov

Commendable
Feb 15, 2016
There is no free update you have to own Windows(X) already if you want to upgrade it to Windows 10. This promotion is orientated to users who don't have the skills to upgrade/install OS them self. It is good feature, but I doubt is for all country's. It is good for some people that want Windows 10, for me personally I will stuck to Windows 7 until 2020(end of support).

falcompsx

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
"They really need you to not pay them and have that free OS or they'll go out of business."

Um, no. Microsoft could give consumers windows for free for the rest of time and they'd still rake in cash. They make a huge percentage of their money from enterprise software and services. One SQL server can be worth more that 1000 consumer installs (or more) of windows 10 if core count is high enough.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
They might look desperate but in reality they try to battle all the hard skulls that recommend not to upgrade to Win 10 and stay on 7. While this thing is logical to a degree since some software requires a certain version of Windows or older PCs with some strange hardware not having the required Win 10 drivers, this does not apply to the majority of people. And they are trying to push this because Win 10 changes how Windows as an OS works, with added Store and One Core for PC / Mobile / console.

Kiril_Petkov

Commendable
Feb 15, 2016
@ohim then make it "real" free like the other OS not some "free" period if you already have Windows OS X. Windows 10 drivers still cause more issue then provide stability/performance specially if you have some high end peripherals devices (sound cards, PCI com ports, PCI Wi-Fi, Printers, Scaners ofc if you ask MS that is because manufacturers don't have proper drives).

I always find funny that people argue about MS from the side of "they are good, its free, MS is great" or the "MS spys on you, stay away from Win10, etc" with arguments that MS probably never even though about :D.

I just dont buy that MS is being generous here because in the past it was always fake.
Games for windows live, Xbox exclusives, DX10 locked to Windows Vista...
Its a profit oriented company and they have been caught (both morally and legally) to do bad moves for the consumer for profits.

People seem to have very short memory, but the north remembers, and I am not going to trust a company with such poor track record when they are telling me that their last OS is "free".

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
To me, this seems pretty desperate as well as extremely hollow. As I understand it, one has to go to a M$ store which, as I also understand it, are pretty rare. Hollow offer from an increasingly hollow company, IMO.

surphninja

Honorable
May 14, 2013

Yeah, it is desperation. Read any email about Windows 10 for the past year. They've been desperate to get to the target number of Windows 10 devices by such and such date, and they just recently had to say that they're not going to be able to pull it off (since Windows phones have flopped). Not to mention they've been kinda cheating by counting every xbox one in that count, and then there's all of the people they tricked into upgrading.

I'm not surprised Steam has seen it become popular among users. There's a number of features for gaming that are only available on Windows 10, along with MS pulling support for new processors on older Windows.

My laptop is compatible with Windows 10 but the HDMI port will not work in Windows 10. Being a computer hardware tech I did tons of troubleshooting on this but nothing works. Windows 7 will remain on that laptop. Considering it's a Core i5 with 4 GB of ram it won't need to be decommissioned for a very long time. I credit HP for their laziness and overlooking this issue. HP just says, use the drivers windows installs. No additional help... Dumb.. Fail..

Bill Dyszel

Reputable
Mar 28, 2014
My experience: MS techs will fail to do anything you couldn't do yourself, then generate excuses for not giving the credit. The campaign if fraud, bait and switch at best.

crauld64

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
Seems to be they really need to inflate the amount of Windows 10 upgrades. My non compatiple windows 10 tablets were last night upgraded despite of declining the download. finally I declined with the terms of agreement and it was reverted to Win 8.1. Dont get me wrong I like windows 10 but my atom tablets are not capable. What I really don't like is to be forced in this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.