Microsoft Office 2010 Starter to Display Ads

Status
Not open for further replies.

r3t4rd

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
You realize it is free but stripped down version with ads. Most people will use it and won't care as long as they can type up thier mid term papers etc. I think MS, by doing this and as evil as they can be sometimes, wins.

And Open Office...may be on the extinction list.

geoffs

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
If it's free (i.e. it doesn't cost the manufacturer or user any money), then I don't have an issue with it. However, if they're charging for it AND making you watch ads, that's unacceptable.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
For the love of god, if you buy the starter edition, DO NOT CLICK THE ADS!!!

People don't realize that annoying ads can be stopped by simply not clicking them. If no one clicked those stupid ads, they wouldn't make any money and they'd stop using them.

I understand advertising is currently the economic model employed by the internet, and some ads are beneficial. A Google Ad on a search can lead you to the product you wanted instead of someone's blog about the product. However, when its just a company trying to pad its budget for a product it admits isn't worth the asking price, just say no.

That said, lets see how many inline ads Kontera inserts into my little post here. PC iPod Widows Browser iPhone email IM blah blah blah.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Hmmmm....'copy' but no 'paste'? 'Save', but no 'save as'? Can't resize fonts? I wonder what will be cut out of the starter edition. It would have to be something super important or else fewer people will upgrade than Microsoft anticipates.

fooldog01

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2009
[citation][nom]geoffs[/nom]If it's free (i.e. it doesn't cost the manufacturer or user any money), then I don't have an issue with it. However, if they're charging for it AND making you watch ads, that's unacceptable.[/citation]

I feel the same way. I dont give a crap if software is ad supported as long as I dont have to pay anything for it.

E7130

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]t33lo[/nom]I am just starting to get used to Office 2007, I hope the transitions isn't as drastic.[/citation]

I've been using 2010 for a few months, I like it better the 07. It responds better and the navigation is even more simpler, they have updated it with a new ribbon and a lot of new features.

jimmy1989

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
wonderful. more microsoft bs. basic word processing should be a no-nonsense included feature with any major operating system. having them provide it in a reduced functionality mode AND with advertising is rediculous

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
I have an foolproof fix to not see the advertisements in MS Office lite.
It goes something like this:
"Welcome to Ubuntu, would you like to use the entire drive?"
I will click on yes, permanent fix is done.

G

Oh Great, Just what we Don't Need!

MS Office will become just one more piece of AdWare and worse....

It may even provide a new venue for Malware Purveyors to infect systems on which the Starter Edition is installed.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]dextermat[/nom]Damn screw ups: put adds and full functionality; pay for it for no adds.... simple enough... damn idiots[citation][nom]jimmy1989[/nom]wonderful. more microsoft bs. basic word processing should be a no-nonsense included feature with any major operating system. having them provide it in a reduced functionality mode AND with advertising is rediculous[/citation][/citation]

You have certain demands for your free software? I'd hate to meet you at the soup kitchen.

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
This is an interesting move. I kinda like the idea and am curious what major functions are removed from the Starter editions. It can see lots of starving students trying to make this work for them; and Microsoft could keep making some money from them by placing gaming ads.

For those of you that hate the idea of free ad supported software but want demand a free word processor and spreadsheet, download Open Office.

[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom][/citation]You have certain demands for your free software? I'd hate to meet you at the soup kitchen.[/citation]

Lol just little pissed of at people doing half the work. Then leave costumer with crappy frustrating software (and they say they did a good job)Just recalling the 60 day office 2007 trial.... witch once disable, costumers complains because they can't do anything with their work.

Just like minister of Health in canada, letting the health system in decay..... costing more and more tax payers money.....

Just think about that.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]ssalim[/nom]That's lame.[/citation]

Microsoft is lame. Even MSN Messenger displays adds, and there is no way to shut them down!

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
My company uses office 2003 for the most. Even when some use 2007 and it's ribon toolbar thing, and can't seem to find 'save as .doc instead of .docx' so that the rest of us can read the thing, there's a fix in MS website so 2003 can read those files. I don't care about the product being old, bugs, patches and the rest. None of these can save you when you click on whatever comes to your inbox, or when you visit whatever you think it's safe or when you don't have any script block or updatet antivirus.

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
It gives them revenue, and it keeps things free. I don't see a problem. I agree with lamorpa.

And @ the comment about don't click - Yes, that's Google Ads. High profile companies like Microsoft, or high profile websites, usually make people pay for adspace. They make money regardless of whether you click on it or not.

cruiseoveride

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
Dont these people realise that the more they try and use Ads as an irritation, the more the recipients will filter it?

If IE and Firefox had AdBlock built it, does that mean Google would be broke ass?

jawshoeaw

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
Office needs to die the dinosaur's death it deserves. I swear Word 5.0 was a better piece of software and ran off of a floppy. The need for new is getting old, no pun intended - come on, why can't we just pick a standard and leave it alone. 99.99% of all MSWord use is stupid school papers and emails - make openoffice the standard and move on. If people actually need "desktop publishing" then they can pay for it. Excel is no better- when I use it, even in a work setting, I'm probably using 1% of the capabilities, all of which can be had for free from numerous venues. Powerpoint is a joke - it's turned presentations into something even more boring and unhelpful, if that is possible. I'd say msoffice has a real value of about $20 tops.

How much time and money is wasted in the US paying for and learning new Microsoft software?

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
[citation][nom]jawshoeaw[/nom]How much time and money is wasted in the US paying for and learning new Microsoft software?[/citation]
Well said. That statement holds true even if the software was distributed free to everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.