Microsoft Office for iPhone? Please, No!

Status
Not open for further replies.

E7130

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Well, hm, I see it as a good idea if Apple wants to better corner the business sector. My last company always viewed spreadsheets, pdfs, etc on their phones.

G

I can edit office documents on my phone (att tilt), I have never used that feature however and I've had the phone a year+. I do use the built in camera quite a lot though. It's not the best, but when you need to take a random picture (which I do a LOT) it comes in handy. I wish the camera was better though, considering I wouldn't take a dedicated camera with me all the time like my phone.

MEGACAMPER

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
I'd love it! Why are you so against it Jane? Just as you said

"If you want a phone, buy a phone, if you want a camera with over 5 megapixels, bite the bullet and buy a camera."

If you don't want Office on the Iphone, DON'T INSTALL IT! But stop your whining about it being added.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]MEGACAMPER[/nom]I'd love it! Why are you so against it Jane? Just as you said "If you want a phone, buy a phone, if you want a camera with over 5 megapixels, bite the bullet and buy a camera."If you don't want Office on the Iphone, DON'T INSTALL IT! But stop your whining about it being added.[/citation]

I'm against it because you can already view documents on the iPhone and now you can edit 'em too. I guess it's irrational (because it's not like I'm being forced to buy it and install it) but I hate the idea of using the iPhone to do any amount of substantial writing. I just think the touchscreen keyboard is way too small.

That aside, it would also hugely depend on how much MS is planning on charging for the application.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
If I wanted to compose an entire document or spreadsheet, I'd go to my laptop/netbook. Trying to do the same on a tiny smart phone is entirely counter-productive and time-consuming. I can only imagine the price they would charge for this piece of software..........

Grims

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
Why would having the option to edit documents on an iphone offend you? If you don't like it don't use it, someone else might not feel the same way...how does it hurt anything?

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]Grims[/nom]Why would having the option to edit documents on an iphone offend you? If you don't like it don't use it, someone else might not feel the same way...how does it hurt anything?[/citation]

It's the composing that I have the issue with. Like I say, there's already the ability to read and edit and I'm all for that as I think it's a necessity.

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
AGREED, BUT ... the iPhone needs better business tools and an Organizer would be a good start (ToDo, Contacts, Calendar etc. integrated). Microsoft office may be a bit much, but I will get Documents2Go when it's released for the iPhone. Loved it on my Palm device and really miss it.

thedipper

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
"Please, No!" is a little... opinionated to be news.

Microsoft Office is a widely used software suite, for a good reason, and therefor I and most of the market would have no problems with using it on the iPhone.

squatchman

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
We aren't just talking documents and spreadsheets.

Office on the iPhone means powerpoint on the iPhone. You certainly wouldn't design a whole presentation on that tiny screen, but you could easily review talking points without having to kill a tree or lug around a laptop. Just one less thing to keep track of before a big presentation.

Above all, the idea of making Mac users pay for office mobile amuses me.

JubalHarshaw

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008
Can´t see what is the problem. You don't want it, don't install it. It's not like you are forced to use it. To be honest, I think it's a good idea.

G

having ability to edit doesn't mean you HAVE to do "substantial writing".

how often do you fire up MS Word to start writing a whole document vs making minor changes on existing ones?

have you ever received calls and emails from other people telling you that the document you just sent needed some minor corrections? do you want to be able to correct them on the fly on the iphone or go back to office, boot your PC and make the changes?

also, excel is very usable on a mobile platform. you can create a lot of mini spreadsheets to help you perform a lot of tasks. you can use it to keep track and plan your expenses, calculate your investment portfolio, or simply do calculations that are not easy to be done using the simple calculator app. when i went shopping for a house i created a little spreadsheet to calculate the monthly payment I would have to pay in different scenarios (price of the house, amount of down payment, interest rate, etc) i plugged in the numbers and i got the answers right away.

i don't consider any of these "substantial writing".

ADM-86

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006
why wouldn't we like Microsoft Office in the iphone? it would work great for University papers or presentations that need last min fixes or even composing small documents(I am sure they would make it so its easy to use and with options that no other simple edit applications have), the same with a good quality camera, why wouldn't you like a good camera in your phone? I want a good phone that works as a good camera,I don't want a crappy camera on my phone or to carry two devices knowing that only one can do it perfectly at a smaller price.

I honestly don't share your opinion on the subject.

zible

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2003
"If you want a phone, buy a phone, if you want a camera with over 5 megapixels, bite the bullet and buy a camera"

So says the person that is ok with the craptastic camera on their phone. You wouldn't feel that way if you compaired the pics of a 5 mp camera phone printed to the pics on a DSLR and say they looked damn good. Having the ability to not only make phone calls, but having a very decent camera with you at all times lets you capture stuff in picture form you just can't do with most sucky phone cameras, which if you ask me, unless it's of decent quality, you just shouldn't even bother with.

ADM-86

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006
and is this an article? or a blog?...it sounds more like an emotional opinion on the subject instead of actually informing us about it and letting us judge it without being affected by the PLEASE,NO! on the tittle.

thejerk

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]It's the composing that I have the issue with. Like I say, there's already the ability to read and edit and I'm all for that as I think it's a necessity.[/citation]

Just because composition is one of the selling points doesn't mean that it's the main selling point of the app. Like others have said here, I'd use it more often to quickly edit and return a document/spreadsheet/pps than to compose it.

thejerk

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
[citation][nom]ADM-86[/nom]and is this an article? or a blog?...it sounds more like an emotional opinion on the subject instead of actually informing us about it and letting us judge it without being affected by the PLEASE,NO! on the tittle.[/citation]

agreed.

OrderChaos

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
I don't think it would be great for composing whole documents, however it would be nice to edit them.

Just looking at them is ok, but being able to open them and edit them would be awesome...Not to write new docs, but to do last minute touch ups and such...not a bad idea.

G

Very easy DO NOT BUY IT. If you do not like MSFT just do not buy. There are people that work for a living and Office in the iPhone might be helpful

Status
Not open for further replies.