Microsoft Open Sources Battery Life Benchmark That Showed Edge Browser Dominating

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
It baffles me that everybody is complaining how much ram Chrome uses and yet everybody uses it ... and they all thrash Edge without even trying it, on low powered devices EDGE is king .. Chrome can`t even come close to it on Atom or 2 core computers.

negusp

Reputable
Jan 21, 2016
Disagree. Chrome feels actually much smoother on Atom devices, at least 53. Although Edge may have better power consumption, it feels much slower (due to jerky loading) and of course lacks the large suite of extensions (although it does now have some).

Chrome is a RAM hog, but that's what makes it pretty fast.

Geoffrey_9

Commendable
Sep 15, 2016
Edge is lacking on everything else. From compatibility to security, to speed, to stability, edge is on the bottom, even below Internet explorer. So of course it wins on battery life because it's useless as a browser

G

Even if you're not using RAM, RAM is consuming the same amount of electricity. Free RAM is wasted RAM. Your applications should use as much RAM as they can. Chrome releases RAM easily when other applications need it. That's why, if you have tons of tabs on little RAM, sometimes switching tabs is slow, as the RAM space for that page was released. If you have tons of RAM, it just keeps every tabs fast.

There's nothing wrong with high RAM use, as long as it's not "locked", i.e. doesn't cause a crash when saturated. I've never had that happen with Chrome. If you have 2GB of RAM, you can have the same number of tabs open as would that use 8 GB on a 32 GB machine. It will be slower to switch tabs, but your system won't crash, even if you don't have a swap.

tl/dr: Chrome uses a lot of RAM, but does so smartly, and it's not an issue

IceMyth

Honorable
Dec 15, 2015
hmmm...I see this article published again! Let me see, can you install MS Edge on Mac or Linux? Is MS Edge implemented by 3rd party? Hold on! The answer is, MS Edge is implemented by MS and optimized to work better than other browsers on windows and only work on Windows 8 & 10!

The important question, what MS scarified to have better battery life? Security, functionality....? I personally prefer IE browser and I think it is better and lighter than Edge.

Lastly, MS did the test on Win10 assuming that everyone have it or will upgrade to it which I believe is lame and none scientific and brings shame on MS for this kind of testing.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
As someone who refused to use Edge on my Windows 10 desktop and laptop until extensions were available it blew my mind when I started using it.

I'm not sure about the battery life but it works wonders for me just being a browser. I just wish that Microsoft would implement things from IE11 like RSS, and About:tab page where I can see 9 most visited sites and add in passport with Windows Hello so I can use my fingerprint to log into all my sites.

Ive always been an IE fan since IE5, tried chrome, opera, netscape/aol, and I refused to touched firefox just because F that browser.

Hopefully this browser test will bring back some popularity to Microsoft browsers and stop the bandwagon on IE sucks that IE6 left in peoples mouth all the way to IE11

alextheblue

Distinguished

Settings -> Open new tabs with -> Top sites

If you also want top sites upon starting Edge:

Settings -> Open Edge With -> New tab page.

Few things here.

1. Edge is only available on Windows 10. It is not available on Windows 8.

2. The security in Edge is the same as in IE,, it uses Smartscreen to scan for possibly infected files along with Defender.

3. IE cannot be "lighter" than Edge. IE still has all the ActiveX features and bulk built into it. Edge is mainly an HTML based browser with support for Flash (that can be turned off), built in PDF support and a better version of Java. In most every test it has shown to be faster than IE with performance similar to Chrome.

4. Yes they did test it on Windows 10, the only OS it is currently available on.

To be honest I see nothing wrong with Microsoft optimizing the browser to utilize all built in features of WIndows 10 and then testing. That is how you breed competition. Nothing would stop Google from doing the same.

Memhorder

Distinguished
I've tried Edge for a while and it's great and all EXCEPT the constant freezes and crashing. I've got Dual Monitor setup at different Resolutions and it just doesn't like having two windows open on each or swapping. Firefox no issues. Chrome no issues.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

Thank you for the input but its not exactly what I expected. There was a bit of misinformation on my part as IE shows me the most 20 frequent visited sites such as the thumbnail below via registry hack. 4 rows across with 4 coulombs.
3t5nY9g

Microsoft Edge only shows me 8 tiles of the most frequent sites. Which is 1 row with 8 tiles :

alextheblue

Distinguished

Right previously you had said top 9, top 8 was pretty close. Anyway you should use the feedback hub and upvote topics relating to Top Sites improvements. If enough people bothered to give feedback by upvoting they would pay attention. Of course many people seem hellbent on posting duplicate feedback instead of voting on existing posts... that doesn't exactly help.

Tron_knows

Commendable
Jun 15, 2016
I run Netscape on Windows 3.1 after my modem connects to AOL on blazing fast 56K. I don't worry about RAM because my computer has 8Mb, which is plenty. Super fast setup! When you have the best, you don't worry about the little things that common users cry about! >:)

eleclerc

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
@Geoffrey_9
I don't know if you use Egde on mobile, this is the only browser to show correctly the multiline dropdown list as the w3c reccommands!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS