Microsoft Overhauling Three Core Windows 8 Apps

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SinisterSalad

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
Congrats to Tom's writing crew on keeping up with tradition. Only three days late, again. It's already out. So the title should have "Overhauled", not "Overhauling". smh

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]Call me back when your OS natively supports more than one applications on the screen. I don't want to be switching back and forth between a webpage and a Word document, on a 1080p screen.[/citation]

http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/27/modernmix-lets-you-run-metro-style-apps-on-the-desktop/

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]Call me back when your OS natively supports more than one applications on the screen. I don't want to be switching back and forth between a webpage and a Word document, on a 1080p screen.[/citation]
You don't need a program to fix that, click the button that says "desktop" then open as many windows on screen as you want
The problem with most Windows 8 haters is they are too lazy and/or ignorant to look for solutions that already exist, they would rather expend huge amounts of energy bitching about things
How the hell did you ever use a vanilla install of XP without all the add-ons before now? One thing that I always have to change is the control panel in the Start Menu, instead of a link I want it as a menu and I think it is something that MS should have done for me as a default option, but what I don't do is piss and moan about it
Get a life

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]anxiousinfusion[/nom]Where PC is getting massive amounts of cheap plastic surgery to try and look like Mac.[/citation]How does Metro look anything at all like a Mac?

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
@ back_by_demand: You are consistently the voice of reason on here. It's so simple to tweak W8 into whatever you want it to be. It is NOT another Vista. It is stable and functions perfectly. There's just a learning curve that people don't want to take a few minutes to submit to. Get a Logitech T-650 and enjoy effortlessly flipping through apps with a three finger flick. That or install Start8 and make W8 function like an improved version of W7.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I do like Windows 8, except for Metro. So yeah I installed certain software to nuke Metro and Win8 is a great OS. Very stable and fast. But all the newbs out there buying new PCs who don't know they can do anything about it.
The only thing missing from windows 8 is full support for file paths longer than 255 characters.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]opmopadop[/nom]Any word on POP3 support?[/citation]POP3 is suck. I feel sorry for anyone forced to use POP3, unless they download ALL their email on one device. If you access your email from multiple devices using various mail clients, IMAP is vastly superior. It's also better for accessing emails over over cell networks.

I wish some of these holdouts would switch to IMAP already - I'm looking at you, Verizon.

stelellico

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013
The social feature in the new Windows update is really interesting. Did they forget that they also own skype?

Status
Not open for further replies.