Microsoft Patent Lets Hollywood Watch You with Camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

aftcomet

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
While this won't seem like a big deal to most, it won't be long before they're recording what we wear, how we live, what we eat, etc.

People are gradually having their privacy tolerances desensitized. They need to wake up and know where to draw the line. Look at Facebook and the web. So many people pour their entire lives into a digital profile.

I'll never in a million years let Kinect monitor how many people are in my house.

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
I think I already talked about this idea on the forums here ages ago so it pisses me off that someone else can just patent it. I'm going to go see if I can find that old post. I think I remember it got majorly thumbed down.

frombehind

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
simple solution... If i am being told by companies that I may not view content that I am WILLING to pay for, then I will simply waltz on over to my favorite Bit Torrent site, and download it for free.

ltdementhial

Aug 20, 2011
Well i truly don't think to much people would buy a product with an "spectators limitation feature", tought the first thing in to my mind when reading this was that someone is pushing microsoft with this i doing this, i mean well microsoft have his "evil" history and darkside yeah but this is soooo apple that i truly don't think someone at microsoft actually said "hey guys i have a great idea...lets block content if X number is infront of the tv" im very very intrigued with this.

But Microsoft and content owners will likely anticipate that kind of behavior and implement a content block until the camera can see the viewers again.

what if i took a picture of me sitting in front of the sensor from the sensor POV and then put that picture in front of the sensor and 30 people in my couch watch the tv with me?

[citation][nom]epicdan[/nom]it's called positioning the camera so that only one person is seen.[/citation]
[citation][nom]ddpruitt[/nom]Simple solution: Put a picture in front of the camera![/citation]

lol... the camera isn't looking at your face. It's looking at the reflections on your eyeballs, making sure you are watching and not wasting bandwidth... :)

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
"But Microsoft and content owners will likely anticipate that kind of behavior and implement a content block until the camera can see the viewers again."

Hello Redbox, Netflix, and Bit-Torrent! F*** off Microsoft and the content owners.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
While they did file the patent, it's highly unlikely anything will come of it. It is probably better that MS did it rather than say the MPAA who would not hesitate to implement it.

G

Thing like this should not even be patentable. Patent system is still as screwed up as always.

Hmm, in fact, since thing like this is patentable, all pirates need to do now is to patent all form of monitoring mechanism and NEVER implement any. Any company which would implement similar concept in the future will be sued. How about that for a complete turnaround?

G

K-zon

Sounds like invason of privacy by means of regards to rights holding within use of products, goods, and services based on licensed interest within a means of "ownership" to say.

Which you might be able to say is fine but is probably left to just where say a place of such without for use on is had to make the difference.

Otherwise of such to basically is within means to say of such to on without of for on place with within regards on to a point of that has none about. Probably cost and all along within such of such forth.

As of means to on about in regards to is to say then by of should not be short to any or that of regard/s with to the interest of also without say interest of conflict along or about almost within again to say means of with or without to or of.

Probably still not the say best interest of debate but maybe not still short interest to of to say at a time.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]ltdementhial[/nom]... and 30 people in my couch watch the tv with me?[/citation]

Man, that's one seriously big couch. How big must be the living room ? :)

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Simple solution: Get a Desktop instead of a Laptop or Tablet. Make sure your monitor doesn't have a camera. Always have your camera unplugged until you intend on using it.

deshimaru

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2010
This is funny, i read the comments and people actually think that it's ok to be monitorized in your own home and try to find solution to bypass this system instead of revolting to such an absurd idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.