Microsoft Patents Self-Sterilizing Touch Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reassuring for germaphobes. I is also nice to be clean for normal people. Although I ma not really concern about it.

Now you can steal password even easier. Just need fluorescence powder on the fingers because UV light is already there.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
[citation][nom]droking[/nom]That is definitely a awesome idea but shoot don't anybody use soap bar anymore? Maybe that is just the old school in me.[/citation]

no, unfortunately, there are people who f**king get out of the wash room without washing their hands.

this tech will take care of some of the most-used, dirtiest surfaces. nice idea.
however, after ms patents it,
it will get hacked and used to infect people with viruses.
it will be used to steal atm passwords.
criminal will use it to steal fingerprint/palmprint data.
will cause microsoft to release an sp1.
will cause microsoft to build a cross platform compatible touch friendly sterilizing system named microsoft touch gr8.0
will be sued by apple's isterlizetouchscreen patent.

DroKing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
[citation][nom]Parsian[/nom]no, unfortunately, there are people who f**king get out of the wash room without washing their hands.[/citation]

True I do that sometime if its real dirty in there -_-

the associate

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
[citation][nom]Parsian[/nom]no, unfortunately, there are people who f**king get out of the wash room without washing their hands.[/citation]

Well it's not like I piss on my hands, I wash my hands BEFORE I take a leak then re-rinse after. Why would you aim your ding dong without clean hands?

I'm glad they mentioned turning the UV off when a person is present. The levels of UV needed to properly sanitize the surface would not be good for a human over long periods.

My other concern would be the life of the UV emitter. UV based systems are used in swimming pools and hot tubs in some cases, however the UV bulb itself degrades in efficiency almost immediately. And they only last so long. Would be interesting to see what they use to emit the UV.

lockhrt999

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
[citation][nom]droking[/nom]That is definitely a awesome idea but shoot don't anybody use soap bar anymore? Maybe that is just the old school in me.[/citation]

I read somewhere that mobile surfaces have more bacteria than any loo surface. So a good initiative from MS.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009

No. Not in the medical hospital environment, where you would think it would be used the most. You do NOT see soap. You see hand sanitizers. (They still do it in the OR areas).

You will see (examples):
* Calphalon
* Avagard D
* Purell

Also note: Sterilizing and sanitizing a surface does NOT mean clean. It means the dirt and microbes are likely still present, but rendered neutral (dead).

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
i survived this long using those filthy keyboards and dirty mice. i'm more worried about the PC's health - software bugs, virus, trojan worms.

stevo777

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
[citation][nom]g00ey[/nom]How the f* can this get patented?! UV-light is used to sterilize surfaces (and other things such as water) already![/citation]
It's probably a patent on the way the technology is implemented. That's my guess anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.