Microsoft Phasing Out Starter Edition of Office

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdwii

Splendid
Office needs to come with windows Professional/Enterprise/Ultimate free of cost, I'm sick of seeing people pay more for this software then they do for their OS upgrade.

srap

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
"Microsoft was hoping that users would grow tired of the limitations and purchase a key for the full suite"

case 1: people do not use Office at all.
case 2: others use so few of the features, the do not run into the limits.
case 3: some uninstall it completely, and switch to a free suite, LO for example.
case 4: some uninstall it, to use a former Office, like 2007 or 2003.
etc.
Running through all the cases, few will will remain in the end, who actually buy it.

aqualipt

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
[citation][nom]jdwii[/nom]Office needs to come with windows Professional/Enterprise/Ultimate free of cost, I'm sick of seeing people pay more for this software then they do for their OS upgrade.[/citation]

i totally agree with you, and they should reduce the cost of this software for non Professional/Enterprise/Ultimate users

math1337

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
Hopefully office web apps will actually be useable for creating documents now. With the lack of custom Powerpoint textboxes and WYSIWYG word editing, the current office web apps are only good for viewing documents.

Zingam_Duo

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
Wow, dude! You've got it all wrong. The word processor is not an essential program. Yeah, it costs alot but you could use an alternative.
What is really overpriced is Windows... c'mon! $200-300-500 for crappy Windows! Now that's superoverpriced. And OS shouldn't cost more than $50 for a full version. And even if MS sells every copy of Windows for just $50 they are still going to make billions.
And maybe it will be much better OS if it costs less because they'll stop wasting money to fill it up with bloat.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
I still use Office 207. Got it for about $5 from my university few years back. Prefer my program to be available offline, and don't save stuff in the cloud, so not terribly interested in any web-based option. I might upgrade to Office 2010 in the future, but Office isn't necessarily something you'll get a lot of benefit from upgrading as regularly as your OS.

notlim981

Distinguished
^^101% what DRosencraft said. I won a free online upgrade to 2010 by the time I bought the 2007 but I didn't even bother, 2007 does pretty much everything I need and I use Office more at work.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
If they want to sell more they could try lowering prices. $150 for the Home and Student version is a bit excessive. Try cutting the price in half ($75)

dameon51

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
I use Open Office now since I just do simple typing and spread sheets, but when I was a system admin, Open Office simply didn't cut it, needed the full blown MS Office for myself and our users.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Stupid... I'd like it if they offered Office Home and Student free with the home versions of Windows, and Home and Business with the pro versions (with an anytime upgrade sort of program for it). Of course, that'll never happen...

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]zeratul600[/nom]come on you guys know that no free solution is up to MS offices, i admit it! now you do it![/citation]

They are all a solution to the Starter edition of Office though.

Status
Not open for further replies.