Microsoft: Pirated Win 7 Causes Malware Outbreak

Status
Not open for further replies.

stridervm

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2008
Generally I'd agree. But there's also pirated Windows downloads out there that also has keyloggers, trojans and viruses, both intentional and unintentionally done by its source.

But I think user stupidity is still the primary culprit

acecombat

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
"After all, if 41-percent of the world is running pirated Windows, maybe Microsoft should reconsider WGA?"

They should...I purchased Vista and when I changed some hardware after a HDD crash and reinstalled, my old activation code no longer worked, I then had to call them and waste ~20 mins explaining what I changed to get it activated. I then vowed to never purchase an OS that requires such an activation system again.

SAL-e

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
Propaganda/distraction from MS. Outbreak of malware means that malware is spreading quickly. The problem is that all legal copies are getting infected also. Just this month MS has released 2 set of patches for IE out bound. Why? Because they thought they fix the problem, but they found out that they missed the target. They rushed new patch that caused some problems. Just today they released fix for that. If their OS had better design (not making windows dependent on IE) may be we was going not to worry about malware so much.

dtm4trix

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
[citation][nom]acecombat[/nom]"After all, if 41-percent of the world is running pirated Windows, maybe Microsoft should reconsider WGA?"They should...I purchased Vista and when I changed some hardware after a HDD crash and reinstalled, my old activation code no longer worked, I then had to call them and waste ~20 mins explaining what I changed to get it activated. I then vowed to never purchase an OS that requires such an activation system again.[/citation]

Microsoft should be a little more generous with us who pony over the money to buy legit copies of their software. I build or upgrade my computer every 6 months plus I like to do a fresh install of my OS every year or so as to keep it fresh and snappy. Its a pain in the A$$ to call MS everytime I do a fresh install.

G

If everyone could get updates, why would anyone buy Windows?

dirtykid

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
"Has Microsoft kicked itself in the rear with Windows Genuine Advantage?"

Pirate, Shareware, Freeware... I have come to realize that free software often has some price attached to it. Be it nag screens, un-advertized features (spyware, ad delivery), or even the occasional unintended completely not working....

dirtykid

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
[citation][nom]dirtykid[/nom]"Has Microsoft kicked itself in the rear with Windows Genuine Advantage?"Pirate, Shareware, Freeware... I have come to realize that free software often has some price attached to it. Be it nag screens, un-advertized features (spyware, ad delivery), or even the occasional unintended completely not working....[/citation]

hahaha "free software" DOES seem attached to advertisement delivery

ominous prime

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
[citation][nom]stridervm[/nom]Generally I'd agree. But there's also pirated Windows downloads out there that also has keyloggers, trojans and viruses, both intentional and unintentionally done by its source.But I think user stupidity is still the primary culprit[/citation]

I agree with you that a vast majority of malware infections are caused by user stupidity. Just because one is open to infection, doesn't mean that they will become infected, depends on their general intelligence. If you are a moron who clicks links that say, "DO NOT CLICK, WILL INFECT YOUR PC WITH TROJANZ!!!" (in a study I read, a bunch of idiots clicked it on a google ad, of course it didn't infect the users) but you're probably going to get malware, etc. If you're stupid.

G

The thing that Pissed me off the most with Windows Vista (legally purchased) and WGA was when I would boot my system, half the time, if my system was not connected, when you would right click on My Computer, near the bottom where it says Windows Activation it would say Status Unavailable.

This would irritate the hell out of me as the system would act as if it had never been activated. Just to get the above dialog window, you'd have to click on Start > Run and you would have to enter explorer.exe then when the window opens, you would have to access it that way. Same thing goes for the control panel and Network neighborhood.

WGA just creates more problems than it's worth.

Once Windows has been activated, it should remain activated instead of constantly checking to see if you pirated your own legally purchased copy.

This makes you think of the World Wars, where in some European countries when you had to have your papers on hand, ready to present at a moments notice just to prove who you were.

sanchz

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
I know that if you do not own a legit copy of Windows you can't complain for updates, yet MS does very little to combat piracy.
First of all, if there are 3 PCs on a house each running pirated Vista, then the "special" Windows 7 Family Pack won't work (since they're upgrade editions), and it is very unlikely that the owner of the 3 PCs pays for 3 Full Editions of Win 7 ($330), which just worsens the piracy problem.
Then, MS MUST understand that people in developing countries (I live in one) are able to pay for a $110 OS which can just be downloaded for free. Also, exchange rates (such as in my country) make US Dollars too expensive for local people, further making the OS more expensive (example, Win 7 would cost me about $400, local cureency, but the relative cost for a person in the US would be like $250 dollars). I've seen some companies counter this by charging lower prices for software in my country (example: Resident Evil 5 PC costs $25 US dollars here, yet it is not considered entirely "affordable") which can really be a solution to piracy (I mean, analyze the economic situation and act accordingly).

sanchz

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
^EDIT
[citation][nom]sanchz[/nom]Then, MS MUST understand that people in developing countries (I live in one) are NOT able to pay for a $110 OS which can just be downloaded for free. [/citation]

seatrotter

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
On a different angle, I think MS should start forcing 3rd party softwares to work properly under a limited account (as opposed to requiring an administrator account). Heck, MS should start making it a pain to use software that requires administrator account. Along with it, MS should, by default, make the default account a limited one (not an admin, w/ or w/o UAC).

Yeah, I know. Legacy software. But then again, when will MS start? Or they don't ever plan to?

Do I even have to mention why?

Let's start with a benign software. What? It wants to install a service just to check for updates? Go ahead. A flaw or bug in that service and you're as good as compromised.

Then there's the compromised software. One can never be too paranoid, especially with legitimate sites (offering software/drivers) regularly being compromised and infecting/replacing files and programs.

sleepflower

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
[citation][nom]acecombat[/nom]"After all, if 41-percent of the world is running pirated Windows, maybe Microsoft should reconsider WGA?"They should...I purchased Vista and when I changed some hardware after a HDD crash and reinstalled, my old activation code no longer worked, I then had to call them and waste ~20 mins explaining what I changed to get it activated. I then vowed to never purchase an OS that requires such an activation system again.[/citation]

Stop whining, 20 minutes is not that much time. At most 20 mins every 6 months? The internet made it far easier to pirate and I know people who still use illegal copies of the OS, then ask me to fix their PC as it is not running properly, only to find it has a virus or along those lines and 50% of those times it is part of the disc image they installed the OS with!

ossie

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
$even pu$hers just bragged with 3% lu$er base (what's the actual "pirated" portion?) and already "Microsoft blames pirated copies of Windows 7 for the high rate of malware infections"?
Poor micro$uxx, already in whining mode. Of course, anyone else is to blame for their failures.
Windblow$ is the greatest!

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Kevin Parrish[/nom]After all, if 41-percent of the world is running pirated Windows, maybe Microsoft should reconsider WGA?[/citation]
Wow...
[citation][nom]sleepflower[/nom]Better family pack options would be good, like the 3 user limit with office.[/citation]
Yeah... I own a lot of computers... I only bought one license...

Thogh running an unregistered copy is real easy... 30 days, reset, 30 days, reset... 120 days activation free no worry. =D

sorin7486

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
I'd say the fact that disabling security and updates are among the first things people do on a new install also helps. Maybe MS should design it better so that it doesn't get on everybody's nerves so much and then they'll keep it enabled.

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007

Would this be because you purchased an OEM version.... which isn't meant for consumer use? I've changed parts a number of times with retail versions and never run in to this problem.

I'd be fine with MS's policy of activasion, if only it worked. They have to do something, to protect themselves.

I have only ever had a malware issue twice that had any affect on my pc (other than a notification in my monthly virus scan and a prompt removal) in my lifetime. TBH, most malware comes from searching dodgy sites and installing dodgy software and hokey copies of windows, for these people (of which I have been one at times) they should live with the consequences of their actions. If they want a free OS, use Linux, after all hardly anyone bothers writing malware for that.

prakalejas

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2005
Pirated versions are still versions, which are used in daily basis. So it would be logical to allow such PC's to get updates, because it's the reputation of an OS ("pirates" also makes statements and form reviews of an OS).
Piracy was, is and probably always will be near and it shouldn't be ignored and cut off totally, because (my personal opinion) the piracy makes the product available to major part of population and dominating the market, thus in case of being forced to buy something, the "pirate" would most likely buy the same product, he used before.

in the end there's a choise : have many pirated version insecure and deal with the consequences at global scale OR "fight" with piracy in not that brutal way, at the same time makeing your product dominate and rapidly form potential new legimate users.

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
[citation][nom]seatrotter[/nom]On a different angle, I think MS should start forcing 3rd party softwares to work properly under a limited account (as opposed to requiring an administrator account). Heck, MS should start making it a pain to use software that requires administrator account. Along with it, MS should, by default, make the default account a limited one (not an admin, w/ or w/o UAC).Yeah, I know. Legacy software. But then again, when will MS start? Or they don't ever plan to?Do I even have to mention why?Let's start with a benign software. What? It wants to install a service just to check for updates? Go ahead. A flaw or bug in that service and you're as good as compromised.Then there's the compromised software. One can never be too paranoid, especially with legitimate sites (offering software/drivers) regularly being compromised and infecting/replacing files and programs.[/citation]

They DO make it a pain to use software requiring admin account... UAC. Problem is everyone screams like a bitch when they try and make their OS more secure (just look at the outcry over vista's mor eharsh use of UAC).. they cannot 'force' 3rd parties to write their programs in a certain way.

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
[citation][nom]ominous prime[/nom]I agree with you that a vast majority of malware infections are caused by user stupidity. Just because one is open to infection, doesn't mean that they will become infected, depends on their general intelligence. If you are a moron who clicks links that say, "DO NOT CLICK, WILL INFECT YOUR PC WITH TROJANZ!!!" (in a study I read, a bunch of idiots clicked it on a google ad, of course it didn't infect the users) but you're probably going to get malware, etc. If you're stupid.[/citation]

Agreed, more and more in this world we are refusing to take responsibility for our own actions, always seeking to pin the blame on whoever sold, gave, loaned, acted for, us the products/services we use. It's one of the worst traits of modern society. It won't be long until we see ads like these:

"have you been involved in a malicious software attack that wasn't your fault?"

Probably on spyware loaded, clickable, ad banners.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Many people who have these versions will have experience in getting safe/ clean versions

the problem is with any OS, if a user is not secure then their OS wont be secure.

at my college, most of the macs, all of the windows, and many of the computers running a linux based OS are infected by malware

you cant make a fully secure OS as if you create a OS that protects the user from them self, the user will not want to use it.

also windows 7 has many new security problems which leaves it open to exploits, (new code = security holes) and microsoft feels a need to blame their poor security pirated versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.