Microsoft Posts Another Hiring for Windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
[citation][nom]GreatWalrus[/nom]It kind of makes me not want to upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 if Windows 8 is right around the corner.[/citation]

hiring someone does not mean that windows 8 is around the corner, it will most likely be years. that person will most likely be brought up to speed, the ad says windows server 2008, windows 8 is not windows server 2008.

tester3000

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
There is always something "around the corner". Win7 will be good for atleast 3 years. And plus,, it's MS's best OS yet.

The Schnoz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
[citation][nom]GreatWalrus[/nom]It kind of makes me not want to upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 if Windows 8 is right around the corner.[/citation]
This is not uncommon, just not usually announced so soon. It's also common to begin the planning of a next generation videogame console before launching a current one. Think of it this way. With the movies that studios predict will be a hit they start the pre-production phase of a sequel before the first film is even released. This doesn't mean you should skip the first movie just because the sequel will be out in a few years.

scryer_360

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Just noticed that in this job posting and in the first posting, both talk heavily about storage requirements. Also, development based on Windows Server 2008 R2 is heavily mentioned.

Is Microsoft trying to use the architecture of Server 08 as the underpinning of Windows 8? Why would they put new people through the Server 08 development process then try and put them into Windows 8? Or could it be (and maybe this is the most likely) the Microsoft is trying to bring down the number of SKU's they have for Windows 8, so they are integrating many of their components and part of that is to have a SKU for Windows 8 that functions w/Servers? That makes sense to me actually: a SKU for Servers, home users, business users, and then a user who might do any of the previous three. Not this 7-8 SKUs we have for Windows 7 (as apparently it will be), not including the Server version. By building components of their next Server product into Business and Ultimate, they can continue to streamline and reduce the vast amount of hassle for end users.

OR even better: the finishing work on Server 08 will lead to an entirely new architecture. Notice how both job posting deal with "storage?" Maybe a more efficient file system is in the works.

scryer_360

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
About how long windows 8 could take: I wouldn't put it out in three years. Really, Windows 7 will probably launch early next year, and considering its more of an upgrade to Vista (with, you know, the kinks out of it), I wouldn't say Microsoft is going to start launching redundant OS's. No, Windows 8 will probably have a long development cycle.

Greatwalrus

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation][nom]The Schnoz[/nom]This is not uncommon, just not usually announced so soon. It's also common to begin the planning of a next generation videogame console before launching a current one. Think of it this way. With the movies that studios predict will be a hit they start the pre-production phase of a sequel before the first film is even released. This doesn't mean you should skip the first movie just because the sequel will be out in a few years.[/citation]

Yeah that makes sense. Another example is AMD/ATI who develop the next driver release before the previous one is even released yet.

bunnyblaster

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
Did anyone not simply realize that you found this posting because more and more postings are being made public online instead of through alternative hidden job networks.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Are they really going to call it Windows 8? I mean, if it's going to be a rewrite (a new NT number) I think it would make more sense to stay away from numbers, just to keep away from how stupidly named Windows 7 is (it's NT 6.1!). Windows 8 is most likely going to be a rewrite (NT 7). Not to mention 8 isn't as cool of a number as 7.

G

I finally found out the major reason why vista's so damn slow!!!
After about 1 full year my XP also started getting slow, so I started investigating, and it seems windows Defrag's fault!
Upon installation of windows or other large file programs, all folders will be (normally) extracted on an empty space on the harddisk in alphabetical order; and within those folders,files will be extracted in alphabetical order.
Which means that all files belonging to a program are located fairly close to eachother on the HD.

This week I installed O&O Defrag,which allows reorganizing of the files on alphabetical order. Windows XP took me about 4 hours of defragging (35GB of 110GB available,and 97.000 files to defrag), Windows Vista took me about 12 hours of defragging 147.000 files, with 80GB of 200GB available diskspace).

After this defrag,windows works as fast as after the installation of a new service pack. Windows Vista suddenly becomes runable on a 2Ghz core2duo, and XP on a 1,6Ghz core2duo!
I noticed both OSes becoming very slow, Vista very very slow, but seemingly it's all defrag's fault.

Especially automated defrag can do a system harm. What Windows defrag seemingly does, is connect empty spaces between files with other files found on the harddrive,to get one continuous cluster of data. However that does not mean this cluster of data is sorted. Win Defrag does not seem to treat files of the same directory as a whole but rather looks at separate files, and tries to fit them into empty spaces on the HD. This leads to the spreading out of data all across the disk!
And that's why programs can't seem to load as fast (NCQ does not seem to work well when files are spread too far away from eachother on the disk).

I thought of sharing this with you guys, for this could help you keep your Vista perhaps a bit longer (so there won't be a need for going 7).

I'd also suggest to do this thorough defragging about once every 4-6months,as opposed to Windows weekly defrag which makes the HD run slow as a snail.

Now,over to the Win8 article,I probably think it's better to go with 7.
Windows 8 will not hold many benefits for users; as windows 7 probably will run for another 3-5 years. Only a pitty nearly every company and person is forced to go over to a newer operating system, and need to pay a premium sum of a couple of hundred dollars every 3 years to MS,just because they cut support for the older OS/cut sales.

the_one111

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
[citation][nom]Silluete[/nom]@ProDigit80 Interesting, maybe that's why my vista ultimate 32bit crash once a month.can you get more detail?[/citation]
Maybe you fail and get viruses?

Mine doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.