Microsoft Posts Record Q1 Revenue of $16.20 Bn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shez

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004
Hey, remember this headline from JUST yesterday "Is Microsoft Really a Dying Consumer Brand?". I think the question has been answered.

randomizer

Champion
It's sad to see Office 2010 doing well. I thought it was an ok, if unnecessary incremental update to 2007, until I discovered that Microsoft had the nerve to include in this office suite the ability to alter Windows service configurations. I have no intention of purchasing simple productivity software that decides that it knows how best to configure my system.

victorintelr

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
[citation][nom]Shez[/nom]Hey, remember this headline from JUST yesterday "Is Microsoft Really a Dying Consumer Brand?". I think the question has been answered.[/citation]

There it goes CNN's statement...

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]It's sad to see Office 2010 doing well. I thought it was an ok, if unnecessary incremental update to 2007, until I discovered that Microsoft had the nerve to include in this office suite the ability to alter Windows service configurations. I have no intention of purchasing simple productivity software that decides that it knows how best to configure my system.[/citation]

Heaven forbid that a MS product should configure another MS product for optimal performance together....

I think though, that 2010 is doing so well simply because 2007 didn't really catch on in offices, with a lot of them sticking to 2003 because of the changes in the layout and operation of the program's UI. Now office 2003 is so dated as a product the switch t oa new interface seems somehow less of a reason to put off updating.

victorintelr

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
[citation][nom]Shez[/nom]Hey, remember this headline from JUST yesterday "Is Microsoft Really a Dying Consumer Brand?". I think the question has been answered.[/citation]

There is goes CNN's statement...down the toilet.

geoffs

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
[citation][nom]jdamon113[/nom]Now Microsoft, let do something awesome with the money.Buy Nvidia = or a small country!!!![/citation]That would be a terrible combination. Intel needs to pull their heads out of whatever orifice they've stuck them in and but Nvidia. At least then, Intel could make a decent integrated GPU. And Intel's manufacturing and low power technology could make Nvidia GPUs faster and/or lower power.

jfby

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010
I think this answers the question 'is Microsoft a dead question' for the short term. I'm looking forward to the next five years to see how Microsoft navigates the near term consumer tech market.

r3t4rd

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]Pyroflea[/nom]Wait, they're first quarter took place during the... second quarter? What's up with your info guys.[/citation]
Business fiscal quarters are different from your average Joe's yearly fiscal quarters. the first Business quarter starts in May or June - something to that extent.

r3t4rd

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
If that is the first quarter....with the holidays in the next two months here, kinect, and WinMob 7, MS mind as well just kick the buckett. Save us some debate. Ofcourse, people have been telling me that MS is dead for the past 20yrs. Meh!

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
[citation][nom]r3t4rd[/nom]Business fiscal quarters are different from your average Joe's yearly fiscal quarters. the first Business quarter starts in May or June - something to that extent.[/citation]

Yep, MS Fiscal year begins in July. It's rotated exactly 6 months.

znegval

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
[citation][nom]jfby[/nom]I think this answers the question 'is Microsoft a dead question' for the short term. I'm looking forward to the next five years to see how Microsoft navigates the near term consumer tech market.[/citation]

They never asked if Microsoft was dead. The question was "is Microsoft a dying brand?" and no matter how much hate I will certainly get, I think it's a perfectly valid question. Microsoft is not a dying corporation and won't be for a very long time but you can argue that it's a dying BRAND. Like it or not, when you hear "Microsoft" you don't think "innovation". Think of the oh-so-hated Apple for example. You might not like the iPod, iPad, iPhone or whatever but they all sell like crazy worldwide and people instantly think of these relatively innovative things they put out when they hear "Apple". Microsoft is more powerful than Apple as a CORPORATION, but Apple is certainly a more recognizable brand. Unfortunately Microsoft does a terrible job trying to keep it's name significant (not it's products: Office, Windows, which are old but still crazy popular and will likely be for decades).

Usersname

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
But…what's this…?

Apple reported a new record of $20.34 billion in revenues compared to Microsoft's $16.20 billion for the fall quarter…

Oh, and…

A new IDC report shows strong iPhone sales have pushed Apple past Research in Motion, making the iPhone-maker the world's fourth-largest mobile phone seller in the third quarter of 2010.

Bip…Bop…Bash…and the comment is hidden.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
Why the heck is everyone comparing Apple to MS revenue like it's some sort of race? Apple is rocking, Microsoft is rocking... what's wrong with that.

Both netted about 5 Billion... but they're doing it in almost completely different ways. MS is primarily a PC software company (with the Gaming thing going on the side), Apple is more and more a consumer electronics company... more accurately compared to the Sony's out there not the Microsoft's.

Apple grossed more, Microsoft made a lot more in software sales, Apple has better brand recognition, Microsoft has higher margins. They're both strong companies who've got solid products.

pacapaca

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2010
[citation][nom]usersname[/nom]But…what's this…?Apple reported a new record of $20.34 billion in revenues compared to Microsoft's $16.20 billion for the fall quarter[/citation]

Oh, and Microsoft's net profit was $7.12bn vs. Apple's $4.3bn. Not that it's a competition or anything :).

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]usersname[/nom]But…what's this…?Apple reported a new record of $20.34 billion in revenues compared to Microsoft's $16.20 billion for the fall quarter…Oh, and…A new IDC report shows strong iPhone sales have pushed Apple past Research in Motion, making the iPhone-maker the world's fourth-largest mobile phone seller in the third quarter of 2010.Bip…Bop…Bash…and the comment is hidden.[/citation]
What matters most is profit. And Microsoft is still a lot more profitable than Apple.

Perhaps you should go here:
http://www.forbes.com/lists/2010/18/global-2000-10_The-Global-2000_Rank.html

NightLight

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2004
[citation][nom]pacapaca[/nom]Oh, and Microsoft's net profit was $7.12bn vs. Apple's $4.3bn. Not that it's a competition or anything .[/citation]

+10 pacapaca :p

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]SneakySnake[/nom]and people are worried about Apple tax??MS makes 43% profit on products sold. Apple makes 21%. Interesting.[/citation]
Just because one company has a profit margin than the other doesn't equate that their products are more expensive. Also Microsoft and Apple are very different companies. Microsoft is basically just a software company with the exception of the xbox, zune and some mouse and keyboards. Apple is a technology company, selling computers, laptops,...

Status
Not open for further replies.