Microsoft Posts Records on Over 60M Win 7 Sold

Status
Not open for further replies.

rigaudio

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
I'm really surprised at the positive reception to the OS. Never thought it'd be the fastest selling one in history.

I wonder if they count the licenses that are given to MSDN subscribers in that number. I know we never use all the licenses we get... though, I suppose we are still charged for them either way even if it isn't retail value.

jrharbort

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
Windows 7? That's old.

I use Windows 2000! [/joke]

Anyway, the sales numbers are pretty impressive, and I would say it deserves it.

arlandi

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
only one word: "wow"!
i have to say, Windows 7 is a great comeback for MS. and 7, compared to other Microsoft's Operating Systems, is The Best yet.

[citation][nom]skit75[/nom]I wonder if they count the licenses that are given to MSDN subscribers in that number. I know we never use all the licenses we get... though, I suppose we are still charged for them either way even if it isn't retail value.[/citation]
Yeah. I wonder if they also include the sales of each OEM computer sold?

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
I wonder if they count the licenses that are given to MSDN subscribers in that number. I know we never use all the licenses we get... though, I suppose we are still charged for them either way even if it isn't retail value.

The OS licenses you get via MSDN subscriptions are not retail - they are for testing purposes only. (E.g. you are not allowed to install them on your main work machine for example, except in virtual machines within a retail host OS.) Therefore they don't count in Microsoft's sales numbers. And note you are not charged for MSDN OS testing licenses as retail - you are charged for being enabled to test your software on wide selection of OSes without the need to pay retail prices for them.

AsAnAtheist

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
OEM sales do count (HP/Acer/Asus/Toshiba/Dell/Sony/etc). MSDN do not as mentioned earlier.

60 Million sales in around 3 months is NOTHING to laugh at. Holy shit that is epic. See Microsoft does something no one else can do.
$19 billion dollars revenue in 2 quarters, from what? Selling software licenses. I would actually be frightened if Microsoft started selling hardware as large as an operation as the top computer manufacturers (HP-Acer-Dell in that order). Of course you could hear the anti-trust lawsuit threats that would come around if you heard that happen.

Thor

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2004
This is not surprising that Microsoft makes so much money.
It robs people selling products to 100 times (or more) their real value.
Since she has the absolute monopoly, not tomorrow it's going to change.

And some Microsoft employees must be billions of dollars in tax havens.

We are truly living in hell.
While the rich get richer, the poor are more numerous.

Human stupidity really is infinite ...

G

Thor 01/30/2010 4:37 AM

This is not surprising that Microsoft makes so much money.
It robs people selling products to 100 times (or more) their real value.
Since she has the absolute monopoly, not tomorrow it's going to change.

And some Microsoft employees must be billions of dollars in tax havens.

We are truly living in hell.
While the rich get richer, the poor are more numerous.

Human stupidity really is infinite ...

Are you a intentionally moronic or just a moron?

azz156

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
you guys should work in retail (i work in the tech bay), i did a win7 training thing before it came out last year & today just got my free copy of 7 ultimate 64bit ^.^

[citation][nom]Creature[/nom]Thor 01/30/2010 4:37 AM This is not surprising that Microsoft makes so much money.It robs people selling products to 100 times (or more) their real value.Since she has the absolute monopoly, not tomorrow it's going to change.And some Microsoft employees must be billions of dollars in tax havens.We are truly living in hell.While the rich get richer, the poor are more numerous.Human stupidity really is infinite ...Are you a intentionally moronic or just a moron?[/citation]

Let me guess, you use linux?

60m since release? Not bad but I think XP sales 17m first 2 months wins. Windows 7 has been on sale for over 7 months counting the pre-launch. Over an over of 2 months windows 7 would only equal the 17m sale of xp. In 2002 the 17m xp sales would be a higher percent of the market.

Not to take anything away from windows 7 as XP was a super success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS