Microsoft Posts, Then Pulls, Video Making Fun of New iPhones

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Meh, a bit blunt and not really that clever, AND it doesn't even say anything about MS's competing products. I thought the tablet comparisons were much better as they actually showed some features and product comparisons. I know a lot of us are thinking things along these lines, but it's really not that clever a commercial/video.

Benthon

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
This wasn't really that bad and was fairly lighthearted. Would've loved to see Apple's counter video. Of course the media blows everything out of proportion and thus we never will.

LOL. The only thing weird is, after all the grief MS got from Apple, it's still MS that felt they had to pull this ad. I mean, cmon, a poke is a poke, and in this case was a good one.

maddad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Steve Balmer must have thought this up. It was really terrible. I personally don't care for the new iphone 5c colors, but I would bet good money they will be kicking some Windows phone butt in the near future. I do like the price and everbody else already makes there phones out of plastic. I will be keeping my old Motorola Atrix 4g for now. Just took a paycut at work so AT&T us losing my business, and I am not buying anything new right now.

Meryl89

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013
Admittedly, I just traded my HTC 8x Windows Phone for an HTC One (love it btw). Even though the Windows Phone had some software issues, the hardware was great. Dispite it's flaws, at least Windows phones are trying to innovate. And on Android's side, Samsung is trying so hard to push new technology they are fixing problems that don't exist (I can scroll down on my own thanks). But it's still cool to use and innovative!
Apple though, they had this coming. It's like iPad 4 all over again. Tween the chip, change one visual trait, and sell it to people again.
In short, I love this video. Makes me laugh.

claptrap22

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2012
I don't think they should have pulled it because it is in some way denigrating. They shouldn't have posted it because it just makes them seem petty. It's not especially funny, it doesn't say anything about their own products, and they're not in a position to say that they're not doing similar things with their own products. Actually, they're not doing anything with their own products. Apple has fallen from favor with me, personally, but this ad isn't clever enough to get the point they wanted to get across in a tasteful, sophisticated manner.

I am fine with a plastic phone (my S4 is but feels nice) but I can see their point. Apple always stated they had a more up scale phone but now they will have the same as everyone else.

And while aluminum is nice it also costs and weighs more and as well kills some nice features (removable battery and SD card for example).

While I like my S4 I will probably go Windows Phone next as I have heard its pretty nice. Just waiting for a decent x86 chips so I can just run 8.1 on it instead of the Phone version of 8.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Microsoft making fun of Apple over the iPhone?
Microsoft is nothing but jealous about what Apple has done with the iPhone and for over 15 years has been a total failure in the mobile (phone and tablet) space. In fact their failure has total at least $2 billion in losses over that time.

Make a product that people want to pay the price for and then come and try to diss the iPhone until then maybe they should be focusing on producing a product the public actually gives a damn about.

lunix

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
MS doesn't have the best track record with funny, lighthearted or subtle, sure. But even with that in mind I just wasted 2 minutes watching this. A couple of 'he' moments, among many 'meh' moments for me.

Anthony Brooks

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013
What's the best way to make your video go viral now a days? Post it and then pull it down "after negative reception from social networks." Thus a mediocre video becomes a marketing win for Microsoft.

I thought the video was good but would have never have seen it without this new controversy.

Status
Not open for further replies.