Microsoft Previews Quantum Development Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
I went to sign up for MS' quantum newsletter, and counldn't complete the registration because I was using Firefox instead of Edge, and that reminded me. "Oh yeah, F those guys". Best stick to open to source for certain things (as seen with machine learning).

Besides? A Windows based quantum computer? The computer is both blue screen and not blue screen at the same time. ;)

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Funny. But they are now embracing Linux, to some extent.

IMO, they're mostly using this as a way of pushing their Azure cloud services. For the foreseeable future, quantum computing will only be accessible to mere mortals via the cloud.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Not sure, but only certain types of problems get a good speedup from quantum computers. The further you get from one of those types of problems, the less you really stand to gain.

Quantum computers have the potential to accelerate cracking of crypto, due to their ability to simultaneously evaluate a large number of solutions. That said, not all types of crypto are equally susceptible to quantum attacks, and I'm not sure conventional encryption stands anything to gain from it.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
Instead of putting effort into a Quantum Development Kit, how about Microsoft put some effort into providing diagnostic data for all the errors Windows can produce?

There seems to be potential to accelerate the displaying of the BSoD.....

Status
Not open for further replies.