Microsoft Promises to Expand Surface Lineup

Status
Not open for further replies.

faer

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013
I guess we can expect a surface phone to be released in Q4 to compete with the iPhone 5S this year. I'm actually excited to see with that come up with.

G

[citation][nom]faer[/nom]I guess we can expect a surface phone to be released in Q4 to compete with the iPhone 5S this year. I'm actually excited to see with that come up with.[/citation]

I don't think they should release a phone, Nokia have just got back on track and will be devastated, unless the phone was built by nokia but released under microsoft

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I'd love a surface pro but the price and the fact that I am content with my current tablet it just doesn't make sense to move to it. I may as well just go and buy a new laptop.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Surface Pro as a tablet - too thick and heavy, battery life too short (half of Surface RT), has active cooling (dust+noise), i5 unnecessary for tablet apps, too expensive

Surface Pro as a laptop - 10" Ultrabook. Touchscreen isn't much useful in this mode since desktop applications are not touch optimized, especially for a 10" 1080p screen. Can't use it comfortably on lap due to kickstand. Still too expensive for most people.

So you got a crap tablet and a mediocre laptop rolled into one. Maybe it'll work, but I seriously doubt it.

G

Just get TIFKAM off of desktops and laptops, don't need or want it, want resizeable windows, and lots of them, not just Two, task bar, start MENU!, and AREO interface! Just take windows 7 and add the "Under the Hood improvments", get rid of Ballmer, and see how things will improve!

G

God bless Metro, the finest interface out there! Metro will be the future and anyone who disagrees is not only wrong, but has no business using computers. God bless you Julie Larson-Green, you make us all proud! God bless Surface, YAY METRO! YAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

linkgx1

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012
I think the biggest problem is price. It honestly needs to be CHEAPER than the iPad to compete. I know you all are gonna say "but it can do so much more"....well the PRO version anyways. It's pricing forces it to compete with great products like the Lenovo Yoga. The RT Surfaces makes it compete with iPads many, many apps. The Nexus 7 competes because it gives you a great tablet for less than half the cost of an iPad. I say the RT needs to be $299 AND the Pro @ $599. They'd be taking a loss, yes. But think of the software they can force people to buy. I'd pay $5 just for flash on the tablet. There are so many services they could "overcharge" for and people would buy. The Xbox approach.

But maybe I'm wrong and the RT will do well. I'm wondering how the Gaming Surface will be...

linkgx1

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012
[citation][nom]AFewThingsCouldFixIT[/nom]Just get TIFKAM off of desktops and laptops, don't need or want it, want resizeable windows, and lots of them, not just Two, task bar, start MENU!, and AREO interface! Just take windows 7 and add the "Under the Hood improvments", get rid of Ballmer, and see how things will improve![/citation]
I think the problem is that Microsoft hasn't figured out who it's for. I honestly think students are the best target. My university doesn't have a Surface in it, but it has plenty of iPads, Lenovos, and Kindle Fires.

I think it could be a great product if it were targeted well. It's...kind of aimless right nwo.

G

Why does everyone hate Metro so much? Metro saved my life! Never forget this! My pastor has been a staunch advocate of Metro, ever since it was released, and has on many occasions pointed out the evils of alternative systems which are clearly communist in nature! God bless Metro! The truth will prevail and the Metro haters will be consigned to history!

G

Windows RT is still more useful and more popular than Linux, despite what anyone says.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
What i think they need to do is make basically make a windows RT version of the samsung chromebook (arm based model). Something CHEAP and effecient and just gets work done. They have proven an arm based processor with a small SSD is viable for normal web browsing, word documents, etc. I now want to see MS make a proper netbook as I see Windows RT as something that be a cut higher than Chrome OS (still love my chromebook) if they pull it off right. And with them selling it they can make sure it doesn't get bogged down with bloatware when you purchase it.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Good for Microsoft. I think they have a winner on their hands when it comes to Surface devices, particularly Surface Pro. I have always been a fan of the capabilities and versatility of Windows tablet PCs. Now if only they could get their touch interface act together and find a better solution than Metro. Metro is no answer to Android or IOS. Metro is a great design language, but its versatility is limited especially on non-touch devices. I don't want full screen apps or one app at a time on a Windows device!

walter87

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
The Surface Pro is a good starting point.

But I would personally have to wait until atleast 2nd generation and see how Haswell performs.

The next two years should be interesting for mobile computing when Haswell and Broadwell get to the power efficiencies to compete with ARM.

[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]Maybe they should just release a fix already for Windows 8. We could use a Start button, ya know.[/citation]

but it has one on the bottom left, and on the right, and on the keyboard

cant you find one of those? no?

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]faer[/nom]I guess we can expect a surface phone to be released in Q4 to compete with the iPhone 5S this year. I'm actually excited to see with that come up with.[/citation]

I'd love a Surface phone!

What I would like to see is Microsoft work with Nokia to make it, but if Nokia is being a proverbial stick-in-the-mud about it just bypass Nokia and make their own phone.

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
While they're at it, when are we getting a Surface with an AMD APU? Or at least Nvidia graphics? No Intel graphics please. Yes the Intel HD graphics controllers will work well for most applications, but I'd like something better.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]linkgx1[/nom]I think the biggest problem is price. It honestly needs to be CHEAPER than the iPad to compete. I know you all are gonna say "but it can do so much more"....well the PRO version anyways. It's pricing forces it to compete with great products like the Lenovo Yoga. The RT Surfaces makes it compete with iPads many, many apps. The Nexus 7 competes because it gives you a great tablet for less than half the cost of an iPad. I say the RT needs to be $299 AND the Pro @ $599. They'd be taking a loss, yes. But think of the software they can force people to buy. I'd pay $5 just for flash on the tablet. There are so many services they could "overcharge" for and people would buy. The Xbox approach. But maybe I'm wrong and the RT will do well. I'm wondering how the Gaming Surface will be...[/citation]
Dude, this is the Pro, it's a full PC, it CAN'T be cheaper than an iPad. the iPad needs to be much cheaper than this. It's an ultrabook for all purposes, just without a proper keyboard (which sucks). And if you look at it that way, it's priced very competitiveness.

[citation][nom]GreaseMonkey_62[/nom]While they're at it, when are we getting a Surface with an AMD APU? Or at least Nvidia graphics? No Intel graphics please. Yes the Intel HD graphics controllers will work well for most applications, but I'd like something better.[/citation]

Its a tablet not a gaming pc

Status
Not open for further replies.