Microsoft Pulls Plans for Windows 7 Family Guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

falconqc

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2002
The guys on the marketing team should have done some research beforehand. Family guy is a good show, but its humor can be pretty offensive. I personally find the concept fun, I just think Family Guy was the wrong show to do it with. Maybe an American Dad or Simpson could have pulled it off better.

cybrcatter

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
cracked jokes at the expense of deaf people, the Holocaust, feminine hygiene and incest

I bet there were some funny skits in there, but Microsoft probably made the right choice. Not everyone has a rich sense of humor, and this could have been an unfortunate source of grief for MS.

landerx74

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
And what is wrong with a little off humor!? Haven't you heard the one about the deaf woman who smells down there and gets forced to go to a labor camp during the Holocaust and is forced to be with her own brother!! That one ALWAYS cracks me up! Get a sense of humor Microsoft!

stop spending all that useless money on marketing and make good products for god shakes....

I really cannot believe all those marketing scheme to sell crap to consumer...

If you make good product: people will buy it. Just look a t windows xp, yeah got problems at beginning but when fix, more and more people bought it damn!!!!

If they stop spending big buck on advertisement, you could sell win 7 cheaper an then make more money (stupid marketer, you make things cost more for nothing)

Jerky_san

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
Wonder what they expected.. edgy is what sells these days.. if you had a happy day's like show try sell windows 7 I'm fairly certain you wouldn't sell to the proper crowd..

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]landerx74[/nom]And what is wrong with a little off humor!? Haven't you heard the one about the deaf woman who smells down there and gets forced to go to a labor camp during the Holocaust and is forced to be with her own brother!! That one ALWAYS cracks me up! Get a sense of humor Microsoft![/citation]

Nothing wrong with off humor, but don't blast a company for taking the safe road. Special interest groups are a PIA and the last thing a company wants is to be boycotted based on a show sponsorship. That's not a good way to keep your job if your names on the project. My company sponsors a sporting team that made a controversial call during an event, and we had people threatening to never buy our products again because of it.
Stupid? Yes, but that is the American public at large.

dingumf

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
[citation][nom]landerx74[/nom]And what is wrong with a little off humor!? Haven't you heard the one about the deaf woman who smells down there and gets forced to go to a labor camp during the Holocaust and is forced to be with her own brother!! That one ALWAYS cracks me up! Get a sense of humor Microsoft![/citation]

Normal Family Guy is quite funny but these adverts for MS is just.. not funny at all.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Not too big of a family guy fan here.

Microsoft if you are reading this, you should have chosen Futurama. It is more in tune with the high tech audience and has less racial jokes afaik I could be wrong. Fox puts on the air what they feel people want to see, not necessarily what smarter people want.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Not too big of a family guy fan here.

Microsoft if you are reading this, you should have chosen Futurama. It is more in tune with the high tech audience and has less racial jokes afaik I could be wrong. Fox puts on the air what they feel people want to see, not necessarily what smarter people want.

As far as I remember, Futurama did good with Beck on that episode.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
cracked jokes at the expense of deaf people, the Holocaust, feminine hygiene and incest

Aw, that description of stuff in the episode makes me almost not really sad about missing a joke about Windows 7 making it easier to insert tampons for deaf people during the Holocaust. Shucks.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
[citation][nom]rooket[/nom]Not too big of a family guy fan here.Microsoft if you are reading this, you should have chosen Futurama. It is more in tune with the high tech audience and has less racial jokes afaik I could be wrong. Fox puts on the air what they feel people want to see, not necessarily what smarter people want.As far as I remember, Futurama did good with Beck on that episode.[/citation]

Exactly-- also a show thats off the air with a large fanbase would be more willing to accept funding. Futurama was good at playful jabs, unlike the hard ones Seth takes. (i can see it now--civilization collapsed because everyone stayed on their computers playing with windows 7... )

socrates047

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
A big company like Microsoft really needs to preserve their images, so it makes sense for them not taking any risks to segregate and or alienate potential customers.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
"creative humor of 'Family Guy,"

I find that line the most funny thing to ever have the words family guy in it.i mean seriously they have one modular joke they use over and over again for years. it wasnt funny when it started its mind numbingly stupid now.

its so far from funny it would take till the end of the universe to see funny.. good move MS find something with even a hint of creativity if you want to work with a tv show. family guy sure as hell isnt it.

landerx74

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
My only question is what was MS thinking when they decided to use the Family Guy? I mean if they would just have had someone watch a few episodes that would have been it! They would have known what Family Guy is famous for.

ti1706

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
... an ill-conceived concept. Microsoft's belief that Family Guy would be an appropriate cohort for a internationally marketed, business and family targeting software has met its fortunate demise.

Not that the show isn't funny (when it's not being crass, or lewd)... but it's hardly the type of association that Bill Gates should be looking for.

Apple: Relaxed intellectual. Microsoft: Peter Griffin.
... hah.

Status
Not open for further replies.