Microsoft Receives Quantum Computing Patent

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QEFX

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
I could have sworn that IBM had a few patents for this back in the mid/late 90s when quantum computing was getting to be a bit more than just theoretical. I smell a fight in 10-20 years, maybe the US patent office will be fixed by then.

So how do you ctrl-alt-delete a quantum computer? I bet MS knows.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]What do you mean it doesn't support Sandy Bridge IGP properly? It's your own fault you're using such modern fancy hardware![/citation]
Does Microsoft supports the Sandy Bridge IGP? No, Intel does. So don't blame linux.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]And I don't give about supercomputers (most of what they do on them is big scale nuclear war result simulations) and servers can run on Windows just fine, not my problem.[/citation]
Yep servers can run on windows just more unreliable and slower. There's a reason why most web servers, dns servers,... are unix/linux based.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom] Don't wanna pay - why should they develop a driver for your OS?[/citation]
Since when does a OS developers pay to the hardware manufacturers to have drivers developed for their system?

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Apply an encrytion key to a plain text to get an encrypted text. Sounds like common knowledge. Now apply a key braid to a plain braid to get an encrypted braid. WTF.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]Since when does a OS developers pay to the hardware manufacturers to have drivers developed for their system?[/citation]
Actually you are right, hardware manufacturers pay lots of money to develop drivers for Windows, so let's examine the reason why:-
A) Windows in on approx 90% of all the worlds PCs
They are going to play to their market because that is where the customers are

But conversely:-
B) Linux is on about 0.85% of the worlds PCs
Why spend money developing drivers for such a minority market, face it, Linux isn't worth getting out of bed for a companies who write drivers

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Actually you are right, hardware manufacturers pay lots of money to develop drivers for Windows, so let's examine the reason why:-A) Windows in on approx 90% of all the worlds PCsThey are going to play to their market because that is where the customers areBut conversely:-B) Linux is on about 0.85% of the worlds PCsWhy spend money developing drivers for such a minority market, face it, Linux isn't worth getting out of bed for a companies who write drivers[/citation]
I'm not negating that fact. I know that developing driver costs quite a large amount of money, and since linux has a small user base it will be harder to find drivers for it and sometimes if they do exist they are sub-par to their windows counterparts. But the OS isn't the one at fault.

mrsphex

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]They're not, because that MS patent will keep them away from it for good.Wow, lots of Linux fanboys on Tom's recently! What are you doing here? Core 2 Duo is enough for toying with your OS, you don't need Tom's content But they will make an OS to work with them. And of course they don't want some open source BS to steal their profits! Besides, research WILL be done, whether they want it or not; Asia, or example, doesn't care about patents and copyrights at all, 90% of all software here is pirated. And it gets work done[/citation]

amk, people really don't like you on this website, do they? Trollololololololololol

stevo777

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
This is exactly the problem with "First to Patent", rather then first to produce and sell something functional. This is akin to the Uranium rush with people just throwing stakes out of planes to try and cover as much land as possible out in the Utah-ish area.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]I'm not negating that fact. I know that developing driver costs quite a large amount of money, and since linux has a small user base it will be harder to find drivers for it and sometimes if they do exist they are sub-par to their windows counterparts. But the OS isn't the one at fault.[/citation]
So how do you turn Linuix into a more attractive option for end users so that they will use it more, thus increasing the support from hardware vendors, making it more attractive still?

1) Reduce the number of distros from 400 to about 4, maybe rename them as Linux Starter, Linux Home, Linux Professional and Linux Ultimate.
2) Increase the user friendliness.
3) Form a real business to get organised.

There are probably another 50 steps but, imitation is the best form of flattery and despite the flaws of Windows, Microsoft's business model is pretty watertight.

gwilkiejr

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
What a bunch whiners who are clearly detached from reality. The technologly that our government has had and will have (including quantum computers) has always been in partnership with flagship US companies..... Get real guys microsoft is patenting so that when the gov't says it's ok they can then make a profit on us. The gov't has had a trend of staying 50 + years ahead of the rest of us.....

gwilkiejr

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
What a bunch whiners who are clearly detached from reality. The technologly that our government has had and will have (including quantum computers) has always been in partnership with flagship US companies..... Get real guys microsoft is patenting so that when the gov't says it's ok they can then make a profit on us. The gov't has had a trend of staying 50 + years ahead of the rest of us.....

funguseater

Distinguished
So does this mean the Canadian company building the Dwave quantum computing devices NOW is about to be sued? I haven't seen any Microsoft quantum computers ... Oh boy, The Canadian Innovator of the Year for 2011 Just got his ass handed to him by the US patent system.

Status
Not open for further replies.