Microsoft Releases IE11 Dev Preview for Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
Students and teachers in schools which use Windows 7 will surely love IE11. IE9 was a great improvement in IE's records, but IE10 and 11 really pull it off.

I'm really happy for the kids.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
This is great news!!

The only problem with IE are those companies that built internal web applications dependent on IE6 and refuse to purchase the updated versions of the programs so they can use the updated IE versions.

These companies are stuck on Windows XP and IE7 at most IE8 which is why they still have such a huge market share.

Fierce Guppy

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
Vanilla Windows 8.0 users will remain vanilla Windows 8.0 users only until service pack 1 is finalized and, let's face it, that's all Windows 8.1 is -- a service pack. Once it's done, IE fanciers can download IE11. I'm a Firefox fancier. It keeps me happy.

Fierce Guppy

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
Vanilla Windows 8.0 users will remain vanilla Windows 8.0 users only until service pack 1 is finalized and, let's face it, that's all Windows 8.1 is -- a service pack. Once it's done, IE fanciers can download IE11. I'm a Firefox fancier. It keeps me happy.

alextheblue

Distinguished
What's in a name, Guppy? MS is allowed to change their nomemclature if they so choose. The incremental update naming scheme is fine by me. I'd rather tell someone they need to update to 8.X than to explain to them that they need to install Service Pack X. Same thing, but simpler for the smartphone-using masses to grasp.

Now if only I can stop wannabe tech heads from telling all their friends and family to disable automatic updates. :-/ If system updates are causing problems... chances are there's another problem that needs fixing on your machine first!

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
this just goes to shows you how popular windows 7 is when Microsoft puts windows 8 users in the backseat in favor of allowing windows 7 users to test out the ie preview first. With that said Windows 7 truly needs a service pack 2 to bundle all the updates on from the time service pack 1 came out till now. it's getting to the point where people are doing their own bundle updates and slipstreaming them onto a windows 7 cd, that's how many updates have passed since service pack 1 came out.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
businesses are trying to save as much money as possible with the slow growth economy we are in, which is prob the main reason why they continue to stick with xp but i suspect once Microsoft cuts support for xp next year that's when you will start to see a massive shift to windows 7 for many businesses and once that happens Windows 7's market share will get even larger then it is now.

grumpigeek

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
Great! The font rendering in IE11 on Win 7 is as bad as it is on Win 8.1.

World's biggest software company can't even provide users with readable text on their PC screens. What a spectacular failure!

alextheblue

Distinguished
I'll admit that the article wasn't as clear as it could have been, but you could also be more aware of the facts regarding subject you're discussing. Not meant as a slap in the face, it's just that you're making assumptions like they're fact, when they are not.

The 8.1 Preview has the IE11 Preview installed. Win7 isn't too far behind though, which is nice. The only ones "left out" (heavy emphasis on the quotation marks) are 8.0 users. But really, anyone who wants to test drive IE11 on 8 will just install the 8.1 preview. You can just update to final 8.1 when it is released. It's shaping up nicely, for the most part.

Otherwise, if you're not the test driving type, it doesn't matter if you're on Win7 or Win8. You'll just wait until final versions (of 8.1 and/or IE11) are released. They're not too far off now... 8.1 has a boatload of improvements. If you're a diehard drilll-down menu guy, I'm sure the various Classicwares will see updates by then. :p

John Usa

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013
I totally agree with other here, and have been requesting the Windows SP2 from Microsoft for a long time, but it is falling on deaf ears.
Microsoft, stop being stupid and stubborn, do release this SP2 ASAP as it will help your Windows 7 users very much. We hate Windows 8 and we'll never use it.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
alex I assume you are a windows 8 fan congrats you are an endangered users. lol

not everyone wants to download an entire preview version just to preview IE11 I mean they should be able to download IE11 without having to download an entire preview of 8.1 to try it out.

a butt load of improvements to nothing that the avg consumer has been asking for which is an actual start menu and disabling metro along with an option to enable aero glass.

booyaah

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Good to see:
- New developer tools (IE9/10 kinda sucked)
- WebGL support (finally they realized they could never push 3D WebDX on mac/linux)

Bad:
- WebCrypto (here it comes, each browser vendor with it's own proprietary DRM that will require developers to write code against all of them)

acyuta

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Have been using this on win 7 professional office PC and it is really a substantial improvement. Have been using Firefox as a primary browser (virtually have given up on chrome now). With this improvement in IE11, could be a primary browser. FF on win 7 x86 (beyond v18) has problems for me with adobe flash player (beyond 11.2).

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Microsoft operates like a second rate company. I expect ie11 to look like id10 for win7. in which the skin is that of crappy win8 flat 80s look. wtf. Its like MS forgot how to stick to standards. Its unprofessional.

PhoneyVirus

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
Microsoft has no other choice but Releases IE11 Dev Preview for Windows 7 because Windows 8 only has 5% of the market share here Windows 7 has like I think 44 or 46% I could be wrong but check it out at net market share's website for your self.

Am I going to download it NO, because I have better thing's to do like fining something else to do but keep playing and raise bar in Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.