Microsoft Releases Install Notes Win 7 XP Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaymz1977

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
I have installed this and used this. Seems pretty basic and was a lot easier than the last time I tried a virtual machine when it came to setup. Also with changeable configurations for drive size and memory usage, I am sure a lot of businesses will get some good use out of this. My reason for using it was to try to solve my major lag issue with using WIN7 RDC to log into Server 03. So I was thinking the XP mode might fix this.. but no dice. So alas, I am stuck with keeping an XP partition so I can use RDC.

uh_no

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
wow

you are perhaps one of the most unbiased reporters i've ever had the displeasure of reading

while everything about apple is high praise, even something as cool as XP, you repeatedly refer to as a 'stench' and you take a not so subtle jab 'if you manage to get it running'

Chipi

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
I have been waiting for this!
XP Mode installs with absolutely no updates released after SP3 and Internet Explorer 6. Maybe someone should send those IE8 adverts to the development team...

ssalim

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2007
[citation][nom]uh_no[/nom]wowyou are perhaps one of the most unbiased reporters i've ever had the displeasure of readingwhile everything about apple is high praise, even something as cool as XP, you repeatedly refer to as a 'stench' and you take a not so subtle jab 'if you manage to get it running'[/citation]

Did you mean biased?

Chipi

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
I don't think it's about the drivers captain, as far as I know the GPU is very limited on Virtual PC (and VMWare also)

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
[citation][nom]uh_no[/nom]wowyou are perhaps one of the most unbiased reporters i've ever had the displeasure of readingwhile everything about apple is high praise, even something as cool as XP, you repeatedly refer to as a 'stench' and you take a not so subtle jab 'if you manage to get it running'[/citation]

wow

You are perhaps one of the most irritating commenters I've ever had the displeasure of reading.

You can make anything sound like a jab against Windows with enough paranoia.

madhumper69

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
All my programs are compatible with windows 7 if not i figure out how to install them on the OS with some tweaks, no need for xp mode and i do install tons of stuff!

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
Some may find this difficult to believe but many of us have actually been running windows vista for a few years now, which means many of us have already replaced the incompatible XP only software. XP mode is too little too late it should have shipped with vista.

Dyseman

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
Missing the Stench of XP? Man... Stick with your Apple hype and let others review Microsoft.

(Yes, I read the letter posted a few days ago because this person was basically berated for Apple hype. But letting Marcus go and talk about something he apparently is not used to is a little lame and deffinately not a way to win us back)

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
[citation][nom]Dyseman[/nom]Missing the Stench of XP? Man... Stick with your Apple hype and let others review Microsoft.(Yes, I read the letter posted a few days ago because this person was basically berated for Apple hype. But letting Marcus go and talk about something he apparently is not used to is a little lame and deffinately not a way to win us back)[/citation]

Marcus Yam has been writing most of the Windows 7 articles too. I've read articles by Marcus with both positive and negative spin regarding news about both Microsoft and Apple.

G

the virtual version does not at all compare to the real version!

G

They better put a real Windows user to write these articles!
Windows is too complex for apple users!

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
I'm gonna mention that for awhile Mac OSX had an option to run OS9 in a form of "virtualization" for classic OS9 apps. You even had the option to boot fully into OS9 if needed. XP mode in Windows 7 is like Mac OSX OS9 boot. It's a blessing, not bias.

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
[citation][nom]excalibur1814[/nom]But then apple dropped it like they've dropped something in the last four releases of osx. Bit tight for paying customers but thats how they do it I suppose.[/citation]
Very true. course these days adding support for OS9 would be like windows 7 giving support for "windows 98 mode" at least making XP compatible is a smart move since XP has dominated for the past 8 years and still is a great OS (other than windows 2000 or NT according to hardcore enthusiast)

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Not very useful if the app you need xp for needs to perform well or needs to use hardware accelerated 3d or opengl or direct 3d

also suppose you only need XP for 1 app that your company uses
so you install the windows xp VM and it takes 1GB of your system memory and lots of CPU cycles and memory bandwidth because it is running a full OS, just to run a single application that would otherwise use a few KB of memory

so you loose overall system performance, and in a business world, time is money, lower performance means mote time wasted.

moejoe4420

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
Do any of you Windows fanchildren remember how much crap we had getting some games to run under Vista? They took all the trouble to add this actual running version of XP and made it useless by not supporting 3D graphics. The only reason I tolerate MS at all is to run games that won't run any other way. XP Pro is good, but still a pain in different ways. There must be a few MS employees around here.

mrmez

Splendid
Honest question guys.
With Vista getting such a bad rep before its release, i remain very sceptical about W7 and know little about it.

Question is: Why does W7 (being the amazing OS its claimed) need an XP compatibility mode?

After all. XP is nearly 10 years old and MS just cant seem to put it behind them.

G

XP turns 8 this year, and Windows XP Mode is required because of the users. If users and businesses threw out all their software and got all new stuff every time they updated the OS, there wouldn't be a need for XP mode. However, since money doesn't grow on trees and people/businesses can't afford to buy all new software, XP mode is a great way to keep all that stuff running, essentially, regardless of the host OS. With XP mode, you could theoretically be running Windows 12 and still not have to worry about old apps (games excluded), because they work inside the virtual machine, which is totally independent of the main OS.

elasticman

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
there is only one program i need to use with winxp mode and it doesnt work for me:(
im using the windows 7 ultimate 64 bit and cannot use this program.
but when i try using it within the virtual xp it doenst work either...
godamn

coolronz

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2008
instructions for installing XP mode...? not automatic? what a joke... MS is bragging around about it and its not automatically installed. LOL!!! what about a 32 bit compatability in a 64 bit operating system, because i honestly had more problems with that than going from XP to Vista... every game i own already runs in vista, so no biggie for me anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.