Microsoft Releases Rentable Windows, Office

Status
Not open for further replies.

eduardosmx

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
Ha ha ha! XD another way that Microsoft found to take our money! Interesting :p! What's next? are we going to be able to use our Windows copy for a period of hours per day?

G

Now that they have Rental Rights out of the way, what about when companies such as Rent-A-Center turn around and sell used computers to customers?

How is the license Agreement going to apply then?

I can just see The Heads spinning at Microsoft as I say this seeing as the License for the Rental Agreement does not extend to selling said equipment as it has only one option and that is to expire.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
So... in addition to buying a legally licensed OS and in addition to buying a legally licensed application suite... I need to buy 2 additional rental licenses just to rent my computer (and its OH SO VALUABLE software) out to someone?!? Really?!?

Like at work... what if a janitor sits down at my desk and uses my computer? Do I need another user license? It would just be easier if they asked us for all of our money because they're clearly not happy making nearly $15 billion (net) per year.

codeman03xx

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
Ok your all retards who posted above. First of the writer of this article needs sacked, because they are a horn tooting Apple fanboy. Secondly ITS FOR RENTAL COMPANIES TO BUY. If any user buys this then they are dumb, frankly i think this could be useful for laptop rentals and reduce the price for office.

seatrotter

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
Can't we have a printed warning on a box that says whether a software is licensed for single-machine or single-user-single-machine? If it's for single machine then as long as it's installed only on one machine then anyone can use it (one at a time, of course). But if it's for single-user-single-machine then not only can it be installed only on one machine, but that only a single user can use it throughout the license.

If they want to do a single-user-single-machine, fine, as long as it is clearly specified (print on half the box in bold/red). If the companies doesn't want to coz it's bad for business, they better suck it up (and suffer) or just stick to single-machine scheme.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]cappster[/nom]They really want to push people to open source options. Open office and Linux anyone?[/citation]

You can use Open Office with Windows NT derivatives as well.

I'm not one to ever consider a Unix derivative, as I've worked with Unix enough to hate it, but I would definitely use Open Office, as I've worked with Microsoft Office enough to hate it.

I think they did a good enough job with Windows 7 they're probably not going to have problems there.

But Office? Does anyone really need Office, or even like it? Open Office does everything most people want, and the interface is quite familiar and easy to work with. It's a real vulnerability for Microsoft if they aren't careful. You'd think they'd be lowering their prices. I'd pay $75 or so for something I've always used, but I'm not going to pay the prices they ask. I think their greed is going to cost them as people move from their Office, and find it's not so bad after all.

dmwright

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
Doctor : Would you like your son to be MS compliant for life?

Parent : What programs will he be allowed to use?

Doctor : Please, just sign here and pay $$$$$.

Gin Fushicho

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
This is actually kind of nice, I could check out a piece of they're software before I decide to buy it. That , and if some places religiously rent , it would cause the prices of permanent software to go down a little.

rembo666

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
You people don't get the point. This is just a different SKU to make Internet Cafe-type situation legal. It's just a simple formality, rather than some huge product release. It's like the Blockbuster version of a movie versus a version you would buy at the store. Read the article before you start hating people.

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
[citation][nom]Gin Fushicho[/nom]This is actually kind of nice, I could check out a piece of they're software before I decide to buy it. That , and if some places religiously rent , it would cause the prices of permanent software to go down a little.[/citation]
In the very near future Microsoft won't sell you software, they will charge a monthly or yearly rental, if you don't keep up your subscription, you can't run your OS or any other Microsoft software you've got installed, whatever software it is, will be monthly or yearly subscription based, if you haven't kept up that subscription it stops working... Well they'll probably at first just not give you updates, but at some point once they have us by the dangly bits, it'll stop working all together.

leo2kp

Distinguished
And I suppose keyboards and mice will have little fingerprint readers in the individual keys so that if you are not the owner of the machine, you will have to "rent" the computer from a friend or family member? What a crock of s**t, MS. Why can't they just alter their own licensing terms to accommodate for kiosks and the like? Because it's all about the moolah. Can't be sensible; gotta be pricks about it.

gnesterenko

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
[citation][nom]loomis86[/nom]Keep it up, M$. Keep pushing and people are gonna kick ya to the curb one of these days.[/citation]

correction: kick ya to the curb one of these [YEARS].

There, fixed it for ya.

Seriously, if you think THIS, after all other things, will make the enterprise switch off MS, then I have a bridge to no-where to sell to you.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

pooflinger1

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
WOW. Did everyone just misread the article, or did we wake up on the wrong side of the bed? As someone else said, the licenses they are talking about are NOT sold to individuals, or companies that use permanent PC's in their office. The license above is merely for people that "RENT" the PC such as a rent-a-center or Cyber Cafe where you pay to use the computer for a period of time. The above situation would NOT apply to someone or a company who is selling their old equipment. The license does NOT apply to those who go and buy a PC. It has nothing to do with how many people use bought PC's at home or at the office. Not only that, but they also made it cheaper than what companies were buying via VL. Microsoft addresses an issue and not only fixes it, but saves people money, and people bitch.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]climber[/nom]In the very near future Microsoft won't sell you software, they will charge a monthly or yearly rental, if you don't keep up your subscription, you can't run your OS or any other Microsoft software you've got installed, whatever software it is, will be monthly or yearly subscription based, if you haven't kept up that subscription it stops working... Well they'll probably at first just not give you updates, but at some point once they have us by the dangly bits, it'll stop working all together.[/citation]
You mean like World Of Warcraft?
How's that working out for Blizzard?

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
I thought this was already resolved in California? You own the software and can do whatever the hell you want with it as long as only 1 copy is in use? EULA be damned.

juanc

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
This comment is way down the list, so it may pass unnoticed.

But MS license is linked to the HARDWARE. It says you can run it inside the computer with the sticker on it, and that's it. OEM also is linked to the motherboard (every other piece of hardware can be changed, and also the motherboard for warranty purposes).

So since the hardware is the one that is linked to, and it's supposed to run there, then, it doesn't matter WHO uses it. Or if I rent the hardware, then the software inside shouldn't count since the software that runs on that hardware is licensed and I'm not running more copies in other hardware.

That should be it, unless there are some legal caveats that I don't realize since I'm not a lawyer.

HVDynamo

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2008
Seriously Microsoft, each computer has to have its own version of Windows already, cut the crap, either let it alone and have each computer continue to be required to have the OS and not care when people use it to earn money, or let each windows license be tied to a person rather than a computer, which is a model where rental makes more sense.

ram1009

Distinguished
This is just the beginning, folks. It's the first (visible) step toward leasing all software. It's inevitable. Software companies need steady streams of revenue not (relatively) large lump sums whenever a new version is released. It's only a matter of time until software is treated as a utility. You'll make payments every month just like your electric bill. I hope all you skeptics out there are taking note of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.