Microsoft Releases Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10547

Status
Not open for further replies.

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
Now they just need a way to turn the tiles off and they are golden heh.

I know you love your crappy tiles MS but really, they need to go.

floppyedonkey

Honorable
Nov 18, 2014
Personal opinions are like a$$holes everyone's got one. Yours just isn't important as the vast majority has won the debate live tiles work. This isn't lazy iOS style world with flat no informational icons.

Quixit

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
up to 2,048 tiles. really? lol how could you even read what those tiles are with that many tiles in the start menu. a little bit overdoing it there ms?

Generally, in software design, you want to have more than you expect the biggest user of your software will ever have to that no one really hits that limit. But not so high that no one ever comes close. 2,048 is reasonable enough.

I'm honestly curious about that too. I'm wondering if you try to place that many if it will basically explode off screen, or maybe some kind of scrolling experience? I think they just decided to toss the limit on it out the door and run with it.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
I wish the can just put back the damn details bar at the bottom of the explorer window. It was so useful for video info and picture info and took up so little space. I don't want to use the details pane!!!

I forget, are you actually on Windows 10 or still on 8.1/7?

With the Windows 10 Start Menu if you have more tiles than fit on the displayed area they go below it. I made the area the smallest possible and all the apps are there still. I just scroll through them to find what I want much like when you scroll through the start menu on 7 if you have a ton of installed programs.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Install Classic Shell. Problem solved. No more tiles, and it'll almost look like Windows 7, minus the orb. and My computer labeled "This PC"...and plus all the ridiculous looking Windows 10 Windows Explorer options.

FearfulSPARTAN

Reputable
Jun 29, 2015
I think the tiles are fine, at least its not like win 8 anymore and if you dont like them then just get classic shell or whatever its called. I also think the live tiles are at least semi useful.

You haven't seen some of the systems I have worked on. They have a desktop littered with icons. Hundreds and hundreds or tiny little icons blocking the background image.... staring into the very depths of your soul......

jaber2

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
up to 2,048 tiles. really? lol how could you even read what those tiles are with that many tiles in the start menu. a little bit overdoing it there ms?

Generally, in software design, you want to have more than you expect the biggest user of your software will ever have to that no one really hits that limit. But not so high that no one ever comes close. 2,048 is reasonable enough.
I think the tiles are fine, at least its not like win 8 anymore and if you dont like them then just get classic shell or whatever its called. I also think the live tiles are at least semi useful.
They said the same about no one will need more than 640k of memory

Would be interesting if they did for the Start Menu what they did with Windows Phone 8.1. Give the option to make the tiles transparent and the ability to make the menu background a picture of our choosing.

2048 I think is an iconic number, correct? Isn't 1GB RAM actually 1024Mb of memory addresses? 2048 is 2* that. I just feel like the number 2048 is just one of, you know, those numbers.

Anyway, I still run the Windows Tech preview. I guess I'll be getting this update. Phew, I thought it was going to shut down on me soon :p

Computer Science follows a sort of doubling numbering system, in groups of 8. They go like this:

• 0 = 1
    0 = 2
    0 = 4
    0 = 8
    0 = 16
    0 = 32
    0 = 64
    0 = 128

As a whole, they add up to 256. Essentially everything in computers follows this. Similar to CPU evolution, starting with 4-bit CPUs, then 8, 16, 32, and 64. Using this numbering system, you can essentially reach any number, but companies tend to stick to 16-256 for things. This is also why a Gigabyte of storage isn't 1000 MB, it is 1024 MB.

MaCk0y

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2013
Did they fix the VPN adapter bug in which you cannot access the IP properties from the GUI? Have to resort to opening the rasphone config file. It's really weird they shipped Windows retail with this bug.

ookii237

Reputable
Sep 25, 2014
It took three tries to install it on my Dell XPS 1330 laptop. Once installed it works fine. Edge still has problems with IGN.com and the laptop is too old to game on so I cant comment on that factor. Its the first time a big update failed so many times. The only thing I did between failed updates and the time it working was time. I didn't try to fix any thing. After a few days it just installed and worked.

RickTacular

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
Call me when you can put tiles on the desktop. Why haven't they allowed that yet? Is there still some kind of security thing, or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.