Microsoft Removes Legacy Baggage From Internet Explorer 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamie_1318

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2010
still doesn't stop web developers from being forced to support IE6/7 in short they would still be forced to support it for another 4-5 years.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
I like what Microsoft has been doing lately, they have realized that they won't survive on their Windows/Office monopoly forever and support for their products has been declining. In fact MSFT has been doing a lot of good. IE9 was a huge step, everyone loves Windows 7, the Zune brand has been dropped, and Windows 8 may become a serious contender in the tablet sector. Steps like these show that Microsoft employees haven't been snoozing on the job.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]jamie_1318[/nom]still doesn't stop web developers from being forced to support IE6/7 in short they would still be forced to support it for another 4-5 years.[/citation]

"Why are the websites broken when I use the little blue E?"

-Your typical ignorant web user

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]jamie_1318[/nom]still doesn't stop web developers from being forced to support IE6/7 in short they would still be forced to support it for another 4-5 years.[/citation]This isn't the fault of Microsoft, they have moved on and are actively pushing for companies to stop using ancient versions of IE.

firekraker

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
The Zune player has been dropped but the "Zune" software/service is still going strong. FYI. Windows Phone 7 has excellent Zune integration for example.

Zinngam, plugins already exist for WebGL. MS ins't holding back the web anymore because if/when they try people just go download Firefox or Chrome. Never count MS, Intel or IBM out as they simply have so much R&D funding that if they do slip they can play catchup faster than any other company.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]11796pcs[/nom]I like what Microsoft has been doing lately, they have realized that they won't survive on their Windows/Office monopoly forever and support for their products has been declining. In fact MSFT has been doing a lot of good. IE9 was a huge step, everyone loves Windows 7, the Zune brand has been dropped, and Windows 8 may become a serious contender in the tablet sector. Steps like these show that Microsoft employees haven't been snoozing on the job.[/citation]
I agree. If only they could penetrate the market with WP7. I'd really like to have a WP7 phone, I think it's a great OS, but I don't want to be alone with one. It could aslo help them fill the void in the music segment created by the drop of the Zune brand.

lysinger

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
I find it interesting that the rate of improvement of Microsoft Product has sped up dramatically since Bill Gates retired. MS used to improve their product slowly but surely. For example, it took them 20 years to get Windows from sucking to pretty darn good (XP) and now 10 years later they've made way more progress in half the time. Perhaps from the reaction of the public to Vista being a step back (64bit Vista doesn't suck IMHO, and the security and maintenance in Vista is way better than XP) and the huge Windows 7 Beta we got more improvement quickly, but it seems to me that they may be more customer focused and serious about product, especially with all these weird little gadgets (smartphones) that people are using nowadays that don't run Windows and the users will not be running Office either.

[citation][nom]Zingam[/nom]WebGL and WebCL? Microsoft will still hold back the Web. Hopefully the users will become more aware of the alternatives and Microsoft will fall down into obscurity where they deserve to be.[/citation]

[citation][nom]Zingam[/nom]WebGL and WebCL? Microsoft will still hold back the Web. Hopefully the users will become more aware of the alternatives and Microsoft will fall down into obscurity where they deserve to be.[/citation]
Yeah Buddy! I agree, but I also prefer HTML 5 over Flash.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Funny just a few months ago wall street morons were clamoring for Balmer to resign. Wal-Street hires the dumbest analyst in the world and then they get to go on tv on CNBC (a tv channel specifically designed for morons who want to get conned).

zachusaman

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
[citation][nom]mayankleoboy1[/nom]where i work, ie6 and above are still the targeted browsers for all development.[/citation]
This is because lazy companies wont update their stupid webtools. kmart for example is still using windows 2000 because of this.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
i keep an updated IE just for those annoying urls that won't load properly with my regular browsers FF, Opera and Chrome. otherwise i don't use IE at all.

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
[citation][nom]SteelCity1981[/nom]Sad MS has only moved IE 5 generations in 15 years and they wonder why they are far behind other browsers.[/citation]

Yeah, they should do like Chrome and Firefox and just ramp up the number to n+1 every couple weeks whether it is needed or not.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Yay! Now just get rid of ActiveX and fix your JS/CSS quirks and I'll stop complaining about IE compatibility issues. At the rate IE has been improving since IE6, I can see 10 being almost as good as Chrome/FF for meeting web standards.

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]cookoy[/nom]i keep an updated IE just for those annoying urls that won't load properly with my regular browsers FF, Opera and Chrome. otherwise i don't use IE at all.[/citation]

I don't keep an install of any other browser because IE9 loads every webpage I visit just fine.

[citation][nom]jaquith[/nom]Yeah Buddy! I agree, but I also prefer HTML 5 over Flash.[/citation]

That's because Flash is a huge piece of shit and needs ot be eradicated from the web, immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.