Microsoft Reportedly Urging Samsung, Huawei to Put Windows on Android Devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgingeri

Distinguished
"The sources were also unclear about whether the resulting HTC phone would run Windows and Android at the same time, or let users choose a platform by default."

It would be nice to choose a phone on the hardware merits and then choose the OS for it. I'd love to run my HTC OneS with Windows Phone 8. It's a great phone, and I'd hate to give it up, but I want a Windows phone.

jwcalla

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
In my case I would see this as nothing more than a waste of disk space. If I'm paying for a phone I'd rather just have the 64 GB or whatever. Then you have to worry about the carriers not willing to update the OS because it's too difficult, etc.

Why would anybody even want this?

A dual boot S4 would be nice. Hell I wouldn't mind a S4 with WP8 as my boss has a WP8 phone and loved how simplistic it was and I wouldn't mind jumping from Android for a bit as they keep poking more and more into what I am doing and where I am etc.

deftonian

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
I wouldn't mind a dual boot tablet or PC, but not particularly interested in a dual boot phone. I'm sure some people out there could benefit from this though. Heck, I'm never against having options so even if I don't need it, I guess it wouldn't be a bad thing. Just make sure you put enough memory in the phone since it will require space for 2 OS.

schultzter

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013
Like weierstrass asked, how much space is the Windows OS going to eat up? And if I don't want it can I delete it?

Besides, once I've started using one of the two what's going to happen to my data if I boot into the other?

I don't think it's going to be like a computer where you can boot from one to the other as you please. I think it's going to be the kind of thing where you choose it once and then stick with it.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
I'm not sure how the OEM would benefit from this. Offering top line phones with a choice of OS is fine and a good idea. Sell the consumer whichever they prefer from the store then put the images of the alternates up so they can be flashed at any time as desired.

However, I'm not so sure about a dual boot configuration. I'm not sure how that would ever really be useful unless you're just someone who likes to have Windows phone one day and Android the next. I highly doubt someone is just going to run Windows all the time then boot into Android when they needed some specific app. I think that would confuse the consumer. It would take up a lot of space on the device's storage as well with apps from both operating systems.

Anyone who is itching to use Windows Phone should just try Launcher 8. Makes your android phone behave just like a Windows phone (actually better with more customization options) live tiles and all, with all of the apps of Android.

digiex

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
"Intel Core i5 processor, 4 GB of RAM, 128 GB of internal storage, and a 13.3 inch screen with a 3200 x 1800 resolution."

A tablet with this specs will be heavy as a brick. Will make owners healthy.

3ogdy

Distinguished
No, Micro[removed]. No, thank you. Keep Windows on other phones and let Android rule the mobile OS world. In the meanwhile:
Learn to design an Operating System
Hire some DESIGN engineers (did I mention D E S I G N?)
We are living in 2013...which is part of the 21st century - not the '90s, mind you.
You've been upgrading your operating systems all the way up to Windows 7...now you're going with a plain dumb interface reasoning you're all about "ease of use" when in fact your people lack TONS of creativity and inspiration.
P.S. I used to love Microsoft. (I hate I gotta say "used to"...)

Watch the language - G

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
In fairness, Windows Phone 8 is a relatively well designed operating system with unique elements. My Fiance has one of the new Nokia phones and it's actually quite nice. Microsoft did well there. On the desktop? No but that's not the subject here.

The biggest thing that turned me away from Windows phone back when I was cross shopping my S3 with a Lumina 900 was the fact that they screwed over all of the Windows Phone 7 customers by not allowing them to upgrade to Windows Phone 8 and trapping them with virtually no apps. Maybe there were technical reasons or whatever, but this left a bad taste in my mouth.

hannibal

Distinguished
WP7 was for single core phones. WP8 is/will be for dual and quadro core phones... Big differense in the hardware. It is like puttin Vista to WinME machine. You are looking for trouble...

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
WP8 works really well, stick it on good hardware and it rocks. The Samsung Ativ S is basically the SGS3 with WP8 instead of Android and having used both I stuck with the Ativ S and it is still the best phone I ever had, the only upgrade worth having would be the Nokia 1020.

g-unit1111

Titan

I'm really interested in adding a line to my account and getting the ATIV S. It looks like a pretty sweet phone both hardware and software wise.

alextheblue

Distinguished

I was interested in Samsung's Ativ S until Verizon decided they were going to offer an inferior Samsung device instead. They went with the crappy Ativ Odyssey. For anyone on Verizon, if you want a WP8 device, you're much better off with a Lumia 928.

16bit

Honorable
Oct 6, 2013
If this goes through I can only see the exposure it brings for microsoft being positive . They may be begging but to have their os on the most popular android phones could only be a good thing for microsoft.

16bit

Honorable
Oct 6, 2013
If this goes through I can only see the exposure it brings for microsoft being positive . They may be begging but to have their os on the most popular android phones could only be a good thing for microsoft.

Status
Not open for further replies.