Microsoft Reveals Windows 10 Details: Universal Apps, Cortana On All Platforms, Xbox Integration, More

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
If you don't like the always-online -stuff, just don't use it. There's still plenty new coming with W10 for PC, like multiple desktops (about time).

Herrington

Reputable
Dec 1, 2014
Using windows 10 preview for a few months. Seem fine so far, i don't know why everyone complain about this. Currently using windows 8.1 (laptop), 10, and 7. 10 is definitely the best, meanwhile 8.1 is the worst

s997863

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
Universalization. Integration. Cringeworthy buzzwords to the endangered species that is the productive desktop user. On Win7, "screen resolution" is a white page with few resolution / oriantation options smack in the middle, and 80% blank white space. Color-depth, refresh-rate ... etc. are buried in "advanced settings". Color settings are on yet another page. All settings used to be on 1 fixed-size page back in Win98, with a floating-context-help question-mark button in the corner almost all the butons & settings.
Don't know if this is just a matter of dumbing down, universalization with teensy mobile screens, incompetent half-baked design, lazy testing & QA, or all of the above.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Microsoft should have known better that to attempt to release this news to Tom's Hardware, it's a pit of Windows hating troll-tards - and by the tone of the articles so are the staff - whilst I am enjoying a free upgrade you can all stamp your feet and threaten to use Linux like you have consistently for the last 10 years. Get a wash, hippy!

Spelli

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
I'm sorry, but I value my privacy more than internet-assisted convenience. In a time where social media rules and security breaches are announced almost every day, I do not trust any third party with sensitive data. Add to that all undisclosed breaches, monetizing of personal data and approved backdoors for government agencies.. at least I do not want to be connected to this world-wide honeypot 24/7.

Spelli

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
Oh but I do use Linux where possible. It's a lot more work, but that is the price of free as in freedom. Nothing that is described as free ($0.00) ever truly is. I do still have Windows on the side.. it's nigh impossible to get all games I want to play running in Wine; and some business-oriented programs (screw the 'app' moniker) are simply not available for any other platform. It's a catch-22 of market share and development focus, really.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
People are getting ridiculous in their demands, you guys cry that it has lots of new stuff that you`re afraid of using and you`ll stick with your windows 7, then why do you even look at a new product if you`re afraid of change? IF they left it the way it was then you would say it doesn`t bring anything over 7 and no point in getting.

About Cortana... nor do Siri or Google speak (or w/e is called) work without internet connection, or do you think your PC is an offline encyclopedia of the internet ?

I`m getting sick of this "let`s hate windows for all the reasons bandwagon" YOu`ll go to linux, fine, don`t let the door hit you on your way out.

ern88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
Windows 10 will be free to Windows 7/8 user for the first year. If you don't upgrade within a year (You be stupid not to TBH) Then you have to go out and buy it!!!

vanenkie

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015
Where is the game changer. Windows 10 is doing what windows 8.x was supposed to do. Sounds like they are just catching up. I see nothing special or innovative.

ah

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014
Wait a minute, people have been complaining about Windows 8, particularly those journalists who knew nothing about technology, kept telling their readers readers that Windows 8 did not sell, and now Windows 10 will be more of a Windows 8 than Windows 8 itself. How come?

Also, I smell a rat here. If Microsoft is going to give Windows 7/8 free upgrade in the year, it's sure going to be a subscription base platform like Adobe's Creative Suite at the moment.

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
I want my PC to be always connected to the internet. but I don't want to be always signed into Microsoft, handing them my user patterns to be mined and sold. I want a local user profile with no integration to online services. When I use an online service, I want full control of what data I'm sending.
It's pretty clear why Microsoft is setting this up as a free upgrade. They are setting up there business model to make more money off of social media and cloud integration than sales. They are jealous of the business model of Android and Iphone (which I hate). The PC used to be the last bastion of the power user.
Thank goodness for Linux.

dovah-chan

Honorable
Funny how all the people that call 8 bad have probably never used classic shell. If you take the 2 minutes it requires to download and install you'll have 7 back but with a cleaner interface and faster boot times as well as improved integrated system applications such as task manager.

Anyone that says otherwise can go eat one and keep using their almost 5 year old OS. B-but I shouldn't have to use a third party application to change my interface! Big deal you already use a ton of third party software (aka almost every program on your PC) and classic shell eats up literally no more resources than win 7 power shell does. Grow up and stop calling things bad at a glance.

dovah-chan

Honorable
Oh and as for Windows 10 it's pretty obvious it's botnet the OS. Unless cortana integration can be completely disabled and removed I'm not moving to it.

I'd rather not have another corporation spying on me. I already have Google, the NSA, as well as my ISP gangbanging me for my information and there isn't room for a fourth one. M$ can just go cry and touch themselves in the corner and watch.

game junky

Distinguished
I use Win7 on my desktops and Win8 on my touchscreen laptops - privacy concerns about AI "personal assistants" are legit, but this is no where near as scary as Google Now. It's amazing if you could avoid thinking about how creepy and intrusive it is. I get the feeling that Cortana will be similar (you can look at what it "knows" about you) but hopefully it's something you can disable or restrict. I like the idea of having a personal assistant that's built into my platforms but I don't want to surrender my freedom and anonymity for it.

I find it funny all the people criticizing WIndows 10 when they probably have not even used the technical preview yet. So far I like it a lot and as of now you do not need to link a Microsoft account nor stay online.

Oh, and for half of you complaining about your privacy I bet you all go on Twitter and practically tell your whole life to the world. I understand it from a business aspect but the majority of complainers are just finding stuff to complain about.

red77star

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
As I said Windows 10 business model evolves around idea of Cloud and Microsoft Account, Cortana, Universal (Metro) Aps in nutshell there are a lot of assumptions by Microsoft. Let's say all Windows (7, XP, Vista, 8.x) upgrade to Windows 10. I can bet you that 90% of them will disable all the things I listed which means it puts Windows 10 at risk because Microsoft won't achieve its primary goal with it. Reality is that Windows 8.x users will upgrade to Windows 10 very shortly and as for Windows 7 people 56% + possibly more XP users market share will remain.
Most Apple and Android users disabled Siri and Google thing because people don't find it useful and productive. As I said, once you strip off all the cloud thing Windows 10 is by far so much less than Windows 7. I still wonder if they offer local user account option as part of install process in some hidden way or they completely remove it. If they completely remove it free upgrade is rather useless, people will end up pirating Enterprise version of it. This is just speculation on my side...but we will see.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
@turkey3_scratch Don`t worry about it , they complain about Spartan already and they haven`t even used the damn thing. I think MS changed the name so they could get out of this "IE sux" trend that goes around the internet. Basically haters will hate without any reason and they will go to great lengths to show or spread their hate on forums.

For instance i don`t really like Linux (i gave it few tries) but i don`t go on linux forums and start telling everybody how and why i hate it...

About subscription idea ... this one is BAD! If they go this way i`m gonna stick to my 8.1 for as long as i will be able to ..

red77star

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
As I said Windows 10 business model evolves around idea of Cloud and Microsoft Account, Cortana, Universal (Metro) Aps in nutshell there are a lot of assumptions by Microsoft. Let's say all Windows (7, XP, Vista, 8.x) upgrade to Windows 10. I can bet you that 90% of them will disable all the things I listed which means it puts Windows 10 at risk because Microsoft won't achieve its primary goal with it. Reality is that Windows 8.x users will upgrade to Windows 10 very shortly and as for Windows 7 people 56% + possibly more XP users market share will remain.
Most Apple and Android users disabled Siri and Google thing because people don't find it useful and productive. As I said, once you strip off all the cloud thing Windows 10 is by far so much less than Windows 7. I still wonder if they offer local user account option as part of install process in some hidden way or they completely remove it. If they completely remove it free upgrade is rather useless, people will end up pirating Enterprise version of it. This is just speculation on my side...but we will see.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
"Unless you plan to cut off your Internet connection, everyone is always connected online, ..."
I guess this includes us road warriors who tether only when necessary and conserve bandwidth by going online only when needing to fetch email or RDP to the home computer. Unless Microsft somehow fixes the cell carriers of the US to go back to monthly unlimited plans with good high speeds like they were 10 years ago from the limited rape-you-in-the-butt-with-a-chainsaw data plans they offer today, I don't see this succeeding.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
Also, Tom's, your Distil botcatcher doesn't seem to know about tmobile's network. Furthermore, it keeps asking me to re- authenticate when posting a comment or going to another toms subsite news article.

ern88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009

What I read is that the question was asked to MS about the subscription thing after the year was up and the response from them was "NO". It will not be a subscription base OS. They aid that after the year was up. The people who want it would have to pay for it!!!!

Achoo22

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Maximum PC confirmed that the OS will be free and that there will not be a subscription plan with recurring fees. That said, I would much prefer a one-time purchase to the invasive and controlling alternative revenue streams MS has in mind (online advertising/tracking everywhere and a walled garden storefront).

If Microsoft wants to make a winning OS, they need to focus on security instead of worthless UI gimmicks. What we need is simple-to-use application isolation, disk/network/service emulation, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.