Microsoft Says Chrome Market Share Records are Misleading

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]alextheblue[/nom]I don't like silent updates either, but why would you want IE8 over IE9? IE9 is superior in all ways, and it can be customized to look and function almost exactly like older versions if you care. Especially since you only use it for one site anyway, I don't understand what you're thinking here. It's faster, more secure, etc. Just quickly change a few settings so it looks and feels comfortable and don't sweat it. Also, that you would even suggest turning off updates for Windows? You must be insane. Anyone that suggests turning off windows updates is either nuts or stupid.For example, the last person that told someone I know to turn off Windows Update? A Mac user.[/citation]
Typical troll. You're one of those people that assumes just because you have "never had a problem" then nobody else ever has, and your opinion of a particular browser is superior. As I stated, I only use it for one site, so I don't *need* to upgrade the browser. The principle of forcing a new version of a program on someone is what I'm against, and I don't really care that you think it's a better browser.

Then there's automatic updates. You believing that someone turning it off is insane or stupid shows your lack of intelligence yourself. Clearly, nobody is capable of doing windows updates themselves? Do you know it makes zero difference if an update is installed on Tuesday when it's pushed out as opposed to next Tuesday or Friday? You think you are going to get compromised immediately if you don't instantly install an update? That is the talk of an amateur right there.

Someone who knows what they're doing doesn't need to update windows immediately if at all. You could even argue they don't need an Antivirus. I could list a dozen things one can do to prevent infections without Windows updates, but after your post, it would be a lost cause.

Do you also update every version of every driver and every program you have on your computer? Those kinds of people are amusing. Zomg [Program] version 2.11.5 is out and I only have 2.11.4! It fixes a bug I've never encountered! I must download it immediately or I'll get hacked!

aidynphoenix

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
i dont understand how any of those company's make money by making a free web browser. its not like advertisements come with your web browser.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]LaHawzel[/nom]@The first three commenters: You guys forget that IE is actually decent now. Nothing like the old interweb exploder 6. Although I'd still never use it due to the lack of useful plugins, it's no longer objectively bad in every possible aspect. Heck, it even beats Firefox and Chrome in Flash while having strong showings in HTML5 compliance and acceleration. And for the average user, using IE instead of Chrome or Firefox to browse facebook is not going give them a substantially different experience. Many people who install chrome or FF don't even take advantage of the plugins at all; they simply think "well it's better" and use the vanilla install, perceiving web browsing as being overall faster and better when the difference is objectively negligible.[/citation]read properly dude, which comments I say IE is suck. I said if IE is good the user feeeback will speak itself, there is no need for microsoft to waste time respond to statcounter. you obviously didnt bother to read and jump to conclusion that everyone hates IE, even the first comment doesnt say IE suck. Nobody is saying IE9 is IE6.

jbo5112

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
[citation][nom]alextheblue[/nom]This is true. However, if you've got a WinXP machine, either you're one of those diehard XP fanatics, or you've got an old machine. Even a fully patched Vista with up-to-date drivers is quite decent. Win7 is better than XP in just about every regard. Win8 is just around the corner, and I'm sure the diehard start menu maniacs will find a way to get it looking just like older versions. Personally I don't mind metro - especially since the "just start typing and bam" search method is awesome for quickly launching programs.[/citation]
The search method only works if you know what program you want, but not if you want to find a list of the media players installed. However, XP's start menu only works well if you completely restructure it yourself. With Linux you get your programs automatically categorized (office applications, internet, graphics, games w/ sub-categories, etc.) and you can have the search feature too.

I've tried Win7, but it was too slow on my 3.4GHz Core 2 Quad w/ 6GB RAM. I ditched it well before IE9 was out. I do not understand why anyone with computer sense uses it, as I figured I needed about a 14+GHz machine to get it as responsive as what I'm used to. About 6 or 7 years ago, I was running a much more advanced GUI under Linux with only a 2GHz Athlon XP w/ 1GB RAM at a much better speed. In fact, I once ran a GUI over dial-up that may have been faster.

A lot of corporations have been slow to move off of XP, because it requires retraining support staff, updating software, full compatibility checks, licensing fees, retraining workers, new hardware, and a lot of problems with old programs that aren't compatible. For example, Bayer Corporation's official browser for employees to use is still IE6 as of a few months ago. Just because your mass market software works, doesn't mean the vital piece software, written for a very small market, and coded like a piece of junk, is kept up to date. If you've invested $Millions in hardware that has no software support for a new platform, you're not upgrading.

P.S. You can make some money from a web browser. Unless Google discontinued it, the Mozilla Foundation gets some share of revenue from searches.

rumandcoke

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
Dear microsoft, your Browsers FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU__________KKKKKKKKKKIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

suck. Web designers have to spend countless hours to make their sites work with the stupid design decisions that you guys make with your shi t browsers... ALL OF THEM!!!

FU

NoCaDrummer

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
I believe Microsoft realized this some time ago, as they've been blasting commercials about IE9 for weeks. IE only runs on one OS, and it comes bundled with it. The fact that Firefox & Chrome (and others) have had to fight to get used at all probably says more about the poor state of IE for the last few years than anything else.
Even if IE9 is as good as some here think it is, it might not recover for many more years. If at all. There's too many people who've discovered that they CAN change the Browser easily enough and NOT have their system fall apart.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]LaHawzel[/nom]@The first three commenters: You guys forget that IE is actually decent now. Nothing like the old interweb exploder 6. Although I'd still never use it due to the lack of useful plugins, it's no longer objectively bad in every possible aspect. Heck, it even beats Firefox and Chrome in Flash while having strong showings in HTML5 compliance and acceleration. And for the average user, using IE instead of Chrome or Firefox to browse facebook is not going give them a substantially different experience. Many people who install chrome or FF don't even take advantage of the plugins at all; they simply think "well it's better" and use the vanilla install, perceiving web browsing as being overall faster and better when the difference is objectively negligible.[/citation]
IE is decent now because Microsoft had stopped trying to create their own stupid browser standards that nobody else wanted to take on. What M$ wanted to charge as a license others created as part of the web experience. Go figure that M$ finally caught on that their browser was shit with their own standards and couldn't even compare to the benchmarks done with other browsers as well. Amazing!

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Main reason MS is trying to set the record straight is that if people hear that Chrome is getting more market share than IE then they are more willing to convert. This would look really bad for MS since the IE browser comes default on every Windows system.

[citation][nom]beayn[/nom]Typical troll. You're one of those people that assumes just because you have "never had a problem" then nobody else ever has, and your opinion of a particular browser is superior. As I stated, I only use it for one site, so I don't *need* to upgrade the browser. The principle of forcing a new version of a program on someone is what I'm against, and I don't really care that you think it's a better browser.Then there's automatic updates. You believing that someone turning it off is insane or stupid shows your lack of intelligence yourself. Clearly, nobody is capable of doing windows updates themselves? Do you know it makes zero difference if an update is installed on Tuesday when it's pushed out as opposed to next Tuesday or Friday? You think you are going to get compromised immediately if you don't instantly install an update? That is the talk of an amateur right there.Someone who knows what they're doing doesn't need to update windows immediately if at all. You could even argue they don't need an Antivirus. I could list a dozen things one can do to prevent infections without Windows updates, but after your post, it would be a lost cause. Do you also update every version of every driver and every program you have on your computer? Those kinds of people are amusing. Zomg [Program] version 2.11.5 is out and I only have 2.11.4! It fixes a bug I've never encountered! I must download it immediately or I'll get hacked![/citation]

Using the most up to date web version of your browser significantly decreases the chances of very bad things such as identity theft from happening to you. Using IE 8 on a website that has been hacked and is unknowingly serving spyware (a very common phenomenon, especially on credit card sites) that is not able to hit IE 9, but can get into IE8 and older versions because it abuses a vulnerability that has been fixed in IE9 can lead to you getting cheated out of a lot of money and not even knowing about it soon enough to solve the problem. No matter what happens next, you're screwed in one way or another.

Also, not getting updates immediately does matter. For example, many updates are made in response to malware and fix the vulnerability that the malware exploits. Considering that these updates usually don't come out until a 1-2 weeks after the malware was discovered (or even longer), you increase the risk of exposure if you don't get the update quickly enough.

I keep all of my drivers and programs up to date because I am fully aware of the possibility of older versions being exploited. You might not get compromised immediately if you don't update, but it can and does happen. You might have been compromised before the update was even issued.

That you only use IE for a single site as important and potentially dangerous as credit card information, yes, you should update your browser as much as you can before each time you use the site. Not only that, but you shouldn't be using IE for such a site anyway because IE is the least secure browser. You should be using Chrome, Firefox, Opera, or some other browser (especially security centered derivatives of the major browsers such as Comodo Dragon).

Status
Not open for further replies.