Microsoft Says It's Not Retiring DirectX Despite Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]wannabepro[/nom]Now if game devs would just update their games.. A lot of them use DirectX 9..[/citation]

Because consoles only support DX9, so why should the management tell the developers to burn more money and time into "specializing" the console game for porting to PC?

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
I wish they would drop DirectX, and then everyone would move to OpenGL. If that were the case you could have game's on every platform, and it require virtually no porting (Windows, Mac, Linux). Maybe then Gabe's vision of using Linux for the Steam box could be a reality. No way in hell though MS is gonna let DX onto linux just for him.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
[citation][nom]SneakySnake[/nom]I wish they would drop DirectX, and then everyone would move to OpenGL. If that were the case you could have game's on every platform, and it require virtually no porting (Windows, Mac, Linux). Maybe then Gabe's vision of using Linux for the Steam box could be a reality. No way in hell though MS is gonna let DX onto linux just for him.[/citation]
In recent years it's been Direct3D that's been driving the progress, and not OpenGL. Devs are free to choose OpenGL now too ( and I personally like it ), but DX is just more than a 3D API.

[citation][nom]SneakySnake[/nom]I wish they would drop DirectX, and then everyone would move to OpenGL. If that were the case you could have game's on every platform, and it require virtually no porting (Windows, Mac, Linux). Maybe then Gabe's vision of using Linux for the Steam box could be a reality. No way in hell though MS is gonna let DX onto linux just for him.[/citation]

We can already use DX on Linux, at least the Direct3D portion, up to DX11. Most (if not almost all) modern Windows games can be played on Linux right now, granted some are more difficult to get running properly than others.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011

Your argument reminds me of a C++ vs Objective-C argument.

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
[citation][nom]esrever[/nom]Why would MS ever get rid of something they have a monopoly in?[/citation]
They're just overconfident. DX development has slowed down ever since MS joined the console arena. Hopefully OpenGL/OpenCL will push the bar much further so MS will be forced to catch up like they did in the past.

megiv

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
Sad news. XNA rocks (or shall I say , rocked).

I used OpenGL until I started with C# and XNA 3.5

XNA is a great platform. What's the big deal in keeping it up to date with the latest DX build?

Going from C++/OpenGL to C#/XNA is like going black. You don't go back.

felix666

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
Just remember why DirectX was created. Each program had to provide its own suite of drivers for an array of hardware manufacturers for functions not covered by the original DOS environment. It was hamstringing the development of both the software and hardware developers and created unbreakable monopolies, not for the good of the Windows ecosystem. It had to be broken, and DirectX was the way that Microsoft chose to do it. And it worked just great! With sound, graphics and networking being part of every computer, it is just a natural evolution that DirectX becomes a component of the operating system. Hopefully some hooks will remain to not lock the developers who have new ideas.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]juliarobertsj[/nom]Some spam about a friend's half-sister supposedly getting rich[/citation]

She must make quite a bit from making men happy through the internet.

[citation][nom]SteelCity1981[/nom]OpenGL is the future anyhow. So ever directX got retired then everything would move to an more advanced platform like OpenGL.[/citation]

How is OpenGL the future? Sure, it's nice as a more cross-platform API, but it's a lot more cluttered than Direct3D IIRC.

azgard

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
The "stall" in development occurred due to a combination of xbox development and the poor market penetration of vista, money was better spent optimizing dx9 then investing in dx10+.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
I just hope one day there will be a single tech that allows us to play a console game on a PC and vice-versa, I don't care about the monopoly aspect because anytime a single item comes along that unifies things for our convenience the "we want freedom" brigade start ringing their bells
Choice is not always good, that is why the tech industry is full of things called "standards" which run across everything from networking, ports, connectors - hell can you imagine the chaos of USB flash drives having different shaped plugs depending on who you bought it from?
D3D can be used on Linux, so it's not a springboard for forcing Windows uptake and anyone that uses Linux knows this, Linux is a hobbyist OS at best for the desktop and even Gabe's Linux based Steam Box will not drive uptake of Linux, he already said Windows could be installed on it and Steam users are the fastest adopters of Windows 8 - check Steams own stats if you don't believe me, they are casting aside ALL VERSIONS of Windows to upgrade
http://thenextweb.com/apps/2013/02/02/windows-7-drops-below-70-adoption-on-steam-while-windows-8-passes-windows-vista-and-ubuntu-grabs-1/

Status
Not open for further replies.