Microsoft Says Patching Windows XP Was an Exception

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

If you stop the fanboyism, you'd realise that XP is archaic and now that it is, it is an increasing, unpatched security problem that contributes to botnet and criminal revenues fueling the industry and making things worse for the more responsible users. So yes, it does in fact need to die painfully.

XP was successful, but the only reason it is still around on consumer systems is because most of them are cheap and tech illiterate and don't want to upgrade because they don't know how or simply want to save money, hardly the best of reasons.
I should also point out that having gone back to XP from time to time in my line of work... it's abysmal compared to MS's other modern operating systems.

dwarrior

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012

If you stop the fanboyism, you'd realise that XP is archaic and now that it is, it is an increasing, unpatched security problem that contributes to botnet and criminal revenues fueling the industry and making things worse for the more responsible users. So yes, it does in fact need to die painfully.

XP was successful, but the only reason it is still around on consumer systems is because most of them are cheap and tech illiterate and don't want to upgrade because they don't know how or simply want to save money, hardly the best of reasons.
I should also point out that having gone back to XP from time to time in my line of work... it's abysmal compared to MS's other modern operating systems.

Nah hackers don't target consumers machines. They tend to go after comercial or enterprise. When was the last time a consumer machine got hacked? The real threat comes from java script in the browser and malwares/viruses. But these are solve by doing regular updates in browsers like chrome, firefox, pale moon, opera etc and anti viruses like AVG which support til 2018. Updates on all consumers xp machines are pretty safe for now.

Your argument is a bunch lies. Xp do support:
More than 2.2TB hdd if you have a uefi mobo and 64 bit xp.
It also playsback Blu-ray nice feature :) Compatible with ssd with trim (using 3rd party tools like crucial)

Though unofficially supported. XP does work with advance format 512e and native 4k hard drives. Don't buy into the M$ Fud.

M$ could've continued extending their support as paid providing an option for consumers. But instead they choose to pull the plug on a successfull os. Now users arent willing to let it go. M$ has no one but themselves to blame.

"xp needs to die painfully" Oh really? But it refuses. What else can you do? Don't think I want to repeat that lol.

W7/8 can't even disable auto arrange. Imagine having hundreds thousands of folders and photos to rename and sort. Really feel sorry for you man.

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012

Apple is not on everyone's computer, so why is this relevant to this conversation? I wouldn't depend on Apple for support anyhow and their overpriced machines are keeping them from gaining the user share that Microsoft has. Microsoft has been doing this with every OS, XP is the only OS that MS can't get users off of. XP users however would be smart to move to Linux, but they just won't move off because then they would have to replace all their software/hardware to accommodate their needs.

Why would you buy bottled water when you can filter tap water?

That's basically planned obsolescence, when you're forcing users to upgrade. I was not told at all to get off W98, yet everyone is whining about people still using XP even though it was still being supported for the last several years. Microsoft chose to abandon XP despite users and companies still on it. People have no choice but to invest money in a new PC now despite making it clear they didn't want to.

"Planned obsolescence or built-in obsolescence in industrial design is a policy of planning or designing a product with a limited useful life, so it will become obsolete, that is, unfashionable or no longer functional after a certain period of time. Planned obsolescence has potential benefits for a producer because to obtain continuing use of the product the consumer is under pressure to purchase again, whether from the same manufacturer (a replacement part or a newer model), or from a competitor who might also rely on planned obsolescence." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_obsolescence

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
the comment about the OS being over 10 years old does not make any senece.....just because most cars on the road are over 5 years old does not make the inoperable....bull shit

I stand corrected.

As for the fellow going on about hackers - botnets LOVE consumer machines, as do exploit kits. Maybe not hacking in the traditional sense, but a major danger to consumers nonetheless. What about malware like ransomware? It will become increasingly easy to deliver.

The fact is XP has died, and needs to be treated as such. Give it a proper burial, shed some tears, and move on to the brighter tomorrow that is Windows 7 (or 8, if you like that).

XP isn't inoperable. Cars also have a much longer useful time than stuff in the tech sector. To make the point understandable - I want you to take a Ford from the 1960's and get it running in Germany today on the road. Tell me how that works out for you. (Protip: It won't. You will have to upgrade the engine and numerous other parts to make it road-legal).

XP is outdated, legitimately new technological barriers have been broken after it came out; that's the problem. An obvious one is the 32x/64x issue: The vast majority of XP was coded to operate as a 32x and can't even see 4GB of ram. Other issues exist as well. The OS still "works" but its security cannot be made any better than it is, and it suffers the fundamental constraints in its capabilities. We need newer stuff for maximum efficiency, and barring rewriting the OS, XP cannot be brought up to speed, even in the same way a car can.

The problem then arises: your OS works, "well enough". Good. However, Windows 7 works better, and is more modern. Are we to stop the march of progress simply because some hold-out doesn't want to spend a bit of money? Perhaps we should continue with leaded gasoline or better yet, Horses. They were low cost transportation that worked "well enough". Sounds perfect! Why would we need anything more? Let's make sure horses are supported indefinitely by our cities and infrastructure.

I'm sure we can all live in a few miles squared.

XP holds back progress. Having to continue supporting it means that money to advance is wasted. That's part of the problem.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Microsoft should stop all patching and support for any OS older than Windows 8/8.1. There is no reason to support even Windows 7 any more people need to update or just loose out on any more updates period.

Actually they would be in violation of the laws of several countries if they stopped updating a product that is relatively new. When people buy an OS they have a reasonable expectation that it will be supported for 10 years. Anything less than that is ridiculous. We would see laws passed on the subject if they didn't, just as there are laws about car support. People who make cars have to continue to make parts for it for 10 years. That's the law.

Personally speaking if MS tried to dump support for W7, i would switch to Linux and never go back to MS ever again on any product. I don't mind them dumping support for a 13 year old OS, but for W7, it would anger me.

hythos

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
SO, when Tha Pres issues an internet kill-order, orders US Telecom companies to brick all phones, and MS to issue a 'kill patch' to disable all communications and anything of a modern computer, owners running Vista+ and anything with UEFI are going to wish they had something more than a slide-rule to calculate their taxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.