Microsoft Says Surface is Good for PC Ecosystem

Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]neon neophyte[/nom]although im inclined to agree, a small cheap touchscreen integrated into the pc would be nice i cant help but feel it will be gimmicky at best in execution[/citation]

They said that about the mouse

dxwarlock

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
I think they meant to say "Microsoft has said that its Surface tablet is 'good' for the struggling PC Windows 8 sales, as well as for consumers."

Do they not realize that consumers will and do decide whats good for them, and what they like to use, and not the other way around? They can toss at me all kind of gimmicky devices with touch screens on it that run windows 8..it doesn't make me want or need a touch screen computer anymore than I did before.

Telling me "This will help you in the long run", as I see it is them going "pleease buy these, we put a lot of money into them and we cant get rid of them now...really, they are a lot of fun!"

I mean 90% of what I actually DO on my PC would be harder, more tedious, and cumbersome than what I can do with a mouse and keyboard now.
About the only use for a touchscreen tablet/laptop thing I could think of is to check my mail when out and about..And I can do that on my phone now. I dont need a BIGGER device to carry with me to do that.

dxwarlock

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
[citation][nom]apache_lives[/nom]They said that about the mouse[/citation]
But the mouse for the majority of tech engineers I know that was around with me when they became popular, had the same mentality of "this is a LOT better way to do it than keyboard alone, this is a much needed option why wasn't it thought of before?"

Touchscreens, not such much that feeling among the majority of engineers that need to use it as an input device.

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
[citation][nom]dxwarlock[/nom]But the mouse for the majority of tech engineers I know that was around with me when they became popular, had the same mentality of "this is a LOT better way to do it than keyboard alone, this is a much needed option why wasn't it thought of before?"Touchscreens, not such much that feeling among the majority of engineers that need to use it as an input device.[/citation]
Maybe that's because mouse helps doing productivity oriented tasks whereas touch is purely for media consumption.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Tablets will replace laptops, there's no question of that. Simply because they are laptops with more functionality, at least in the long run. The mouse is awkward with a laptop, and those touch pads are just lame. Tablets will continue to get more powerful and larger, and laptops will continue to disappear, because the touch screen does have value in mobile applications.

However, the desktop is still the best device to compute on, and the mouse and keyboard are still the best interface. I'll be damned if I'm going to keep touching my screen while computing on my desk, as it's awkward and makes my screen dirty. It's also not as efficient.

It kind of reminds me when it was said minicomputers would eliminate mainframes. Laptops would eliminate desktop PCs. Mainframes are around and doing well, minicomputers are extinct. Desktops will be around and doing well 20 years from now, laptops will be extinct.

Although, the distinction between a laptop and a tablet, especially like Surface, are minimal anyway. Essentially, the new tablets will just be a tweaked laptop anyway.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
[citation][nom]dxwarlock[/nom]Do they not realize that consumers will and do decide whats good for them, and what they like to use, and not the other way around?[/citation]Except that it worked well for Steve Jobs

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
And in related news:
Your body can't tell the difference between real sugar, a 0 calorie sugar substitute and high fructose corn syrup.... Just look at all the obese people deprived of real sugar that keep eating because their body craves sugar and they're not getting it.
Apple invented the GUI and mouse. Just don't let the courts ask Xerox about it first or Apple can't patent that one too.
And finally...
9-11 never happened, it was an elaborate cover up by the government to pass the patriot act so we can keep getting slowly stripped of our rights. The towers are really there behind a special glass structure David Coperfield designed just for the occasion, the planes however really did go down, female pilots you know!

vermelhus

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013
I plan on using a USB logitech mouse and keyboard with mine. I don't see the draw back, since I can use inputs besides touch when I need to. Seems really flexible, unlike my current ipad.

pacomac

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
[citation][nom]tobalaz[/nom]9-11 never happened, it was an elaborate cover up by the government to pass the patriot act so we can keep getting slowly stripped of our rights. The towers are really there behind a special glass structure David Coperfield designed just for the occasion, the planes however really did go down, female pilots you know![/citation]

Sounds more plausible than Surface RT being a hit!

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]dxwarlock[/nom]But the mouse for the majority of tech engineers I know that was around with me when they became popular, had the same mentality of "this is a LOT better way to do it than keyboard alone, this is a much needed option why wasn't it thought of before?"Touchscreens, not such much that feeling among the majority of engineers that need to use it as an input device.[/citation]

well touch screens are nothing new . MS acts like it's a new toy. the old radio shack Tandy computers ahd touch screen it didn't make that big of an impact back then i doubt it will now. hailing it as a revolution in hardware is like hailing speak to type programs as a software revolution . it's all been done already before.

azraa

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
Well they are pretty much right.
A proprietary tablet would be good for a Microsoft ecosystem, its just that.

NO ONE WANTS A MS ECOSYSTEM
The PC has always been about freedom to do what you want with your tools
Slowly MS has been closing this thing (Bing, MS store, etc) and that is the problem, people dont want another Apple in the tech market.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]apache_lives[/nom]They said that about the mouse[/citation]
yea... because we didn't have full implementation, and only a complete moron would have said that after using a mouse in a real environment.

now touch screen, ok, i can give it uses, but on a 90 degree vertical display, i would rather have a mouse, adn a stand for a monitor for 90 and flat costs about 200$+ for a good one.

is touch screen worth it... no... god no... not unless its a wacom

they are good for art, and can be decent for other applications, but need to have a stand that can be flattened, just multitouch screens is not the future, and most people realize that. at least for a pc monitor.

[citation][nom]Soda-88[/nom]Maybe that's because mouse helps doing productivity oriented tasks whereas touch is purely for media consumption.[/citation]

i want to know where touch is clearly better than a mouse... in fact so much better that you buy a monitor with it and a stand for it (which will at least cost 2X the equivalent non touch)

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]yea... because we didn't have full implementation, and only a complete moron would have said that after using a mouse in a real environment. now touch screen, ok, i can give it uses, but on a 90 degree vertical display, i would rather have a mouse, adn a stand for a monitor for 90 and flat costs about 200$+ for a good one. is touch screen worth it... no... god no... not unless its a wacom they are good for art, and can be decent for other applications, but need to have a stand that can be flattened, just multitouch screens is not the future, and most people realize that. at least for a pc monitor. i want to know where touch is clearly better than a mouse... in fact so much better that you buy a monitor with it and a stand for it (which will at least cost 2X the equivalent non touch)[/citation]

no they don't need to be flatened down, sure most ever average person jsut doing random art may be hardwired into drawing on a flast surface that they look down one , but in art school wea are trained to not look at our hand so much as what we are drawing. also we taiend to draw upright with an easle for better arm motion control. that aside , some companies have been making draw pad monitors for years for the art industry sector , just they are uber expensive compared to normal montors

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]no they don't need to be flatened down, sure most ever average person jsut doing random art may be hardwired into drawing on a flast surface that they look down one , but in art school wea are trained to not look at our hand so much as what we are drawing. also we taiend to draw upright with an easle for better arm motion control. that aside , some companies have been making draw pad monitors for years for the art industry sector , just they are uber expensive compared to normal montors[/citation]

but that easel isnt at a 90 degree angle, and is close to you. im about 3 feet away from my monitor and wouldn't bring it closer to me for normal computer use.

however, this isnt art where you arent looking at what you are doing. this is more like you have a sketch pad in your lap are drawing on that, or reading a magazine... imagine using the current pc monitor like toy would a tablet... or imagine using touch because on a normal desktop environment because you don't have a mouse.

i personally cant imagine using either over a long period of time without it being a flatter position and in front of me, and the stands that do that cost upwards 300$

now, the art monitors, the only ones i know of are the wacom cintiq
the 12 inch you can pick up and use in your lap
the 22 inch can flatten itself, but also can never be at a 90 degree angle for standing up
and both 24 inch, they can, but their stand allows them to both come close to you and be flat at the same time.

unless you are thinking of a different monitor, in which case i would love to know as im trying to get a 24 inch cintiq and would love to know all my options if someone else also makes one.

Status
Not open for further replies.