Microsoft Says Valve is Keeping the PC Ecosystem Strong

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
At least they're admitting they've neglected PC gaming instead of keeping on making promises to return to it.

I'd like to see a better API from Microsoft if PC gaming is going to continue being DX-based. It needs to be something that cuts the fat out of coding for x number of hardware configurations and solidifies them around a gold standard.

azz156

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
@JD88

"You would use Linux because you don't have to pay a licensing fee or use Windows, which is a major drawback for many in itself. "

what you don't mind paying 80 bucks for a game or 2 but you can't afford $30 for a copy of win8 or $100 for oem win7. yeah lets all goto linux and enjoy terminal commands wooooo.

i have had ubuntu on one of my pc's since 7.10 and it has been getting better but i swear i spent more time in terminal installing random shit then anything else.

azz156

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
@ta152h

god I hope your wrong, yeah lets all get useless chrome books that are just glorified browsers. but why would you want to trade one monopolistic company for another that is far more restrictive then microsoft ever was.

google wants everyone on google cloud and forces you to if you get a chome book, what the hell can i do with a 16 gig ssd or better yet what can i do with a 100g of google cloud storage if i'm on a plane or anywhere else when these no internet connection. i can only realistically use it when i'm on my own wifi since my mobile phone plan only has 3gb of data.

i like how microsoft compliments windows with useful cloud features without taking away my local storage so i only go on the internet if i want to look at my photos on my skydrive or how it syncs my notes in onenote but if im in a area without a internet connection its not all lost since i have my local storage with a handful of tv shows and movies for a long flight or a blackout.

but i suppose you get what you pay for.

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
Microsoft was successful because of vendor lock-in and now Valve is doing the exact same thing starting with Steam. Operating Systems and internet distribution systems should be run by a consortium.

CrArC

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
"Agreed. Other companies have taken the hint such as Electronic Arts with Origin, Ubisoft with Uplay, GamersGate, GameFly and a few others."

I'd rather they didn't take the hint. Frankly, I'm happy with Steam on my system, I don't want three hundred other inferior distribution platforms jostling for space on my taskbar just because they want to muscle in on the nice thing Valve have going.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

Jim. Please don't spread misinformation.

That's absolutely not true. In Ubuntu, drivers are installed via the software center just like any other application. You simply select the one you want from a list and it installs. If you don't know what you need, it does it for you. I'm running a multi-monitor setup fine using my 670 and all I did was click two buttons to get the correct drivers. They also update automatically. The process is actually far simpler than it is on Windows where you have to get the drivers from either the OEM or chip manufacturer.

My 65 year old father uses Ubuntu daily and he still hunts and pecks. I put it on there because it's much simpler for him to use than Win 8 was. I used to get support calls about once a week, since the Ubuntu install I've gotten maybe 2 in 6 months.

As for your comment about the support offerings, that's true, but I bet the vast majority of people never use it. Especially not gamers. Certainly not worth spending the cash on.

As for the business comment, I beg to differ. Many major organizations get by just fine without Windows or Microsoft. Just look at Google, NASA, and the U.S. Air Force. How about the 22% ofU.S. schools that are now using Chromebooks?

Microsoft wants you to think you need them, but really you don't at all.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

You're mistaken. Microsoft is responsible for the YouTube issue on Windows Phone by refusing to follow Google's guidelines on application design in that it serve ads, allow for video downloads, and be based in HTML 5. They are free to have the app whenever they like but they refuse to make the necessary changes.

CyberCam

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
@ta152h

Well said! I was there back then in the dark ages of the Microsoft's monopoly. I was even forced to buy a windows OEM license disc for replacing a motherboard! Oh good times they were. /s

Spac3nerd

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011

DirectX and great driver support. I can't get my AMD M4000 to do anything useful in Fedora while it runs applications beautifully in Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.