Microsoft Selling 'Signature PCs' Sans Crapware

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
[citation][nom]truerock[/nom]The things I hate about Windows PCs (I own 2 Dell, 2 HP, 1 Velocity netbook and 1 home-built PC):1. Crapware and bloatware2. Recovery partitions and no Windows installation CD.[/citation]

Absolutely seconded, at least you can create recovery discs and have access to a fairly good backup utility in windows now.

The only thing I hate more is manufacturers claiming their pc is a decent gaming machine, when it'll have something like a geforce 9200 in it, it's just false advertising, in the long run lying to your customers will just put them off buying from you again, so I really dont see why they do it in the first place.

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
[citation][nom]xiiifigs[/nom]Seriously, again I can't say that I disagree with the author, but why are these opinion articles under the news section? I'm not arguing against Marcus' common sense, but again, aren't news supposed to be objective (or at least less evidently subjective)?[/citation]

Actually I disagree, I like to see opinions on a site like this. It's not as if this is reporting serious world events, or reviewing a product (where objectivity is critical to creating a useful review).

There are certain issues I think need to be taken seriously and with impartiality... this to me isn't one of them

G

You know, It really pisses me off that I seem to be the only guy in the world that demands a Windows Disc with my PC purchase. My Old Dell came with one. That particular PC had a Dell branded Windows XP PRo disc and a seperate one for all the crapware. Whats nice about this combo is that both parties win. They get to install all the crap they want and fullfill their obligations to whomever paid them to intsall this junk and I get to wipe it clean before putting it into service.

This Compaq desktop I have now came with nothing. I needed to call HP and demand a backup disc (Another reason is because those recovery partitions are an absolute joke and not one has ever worked the way its supposed to in my experience. Theres always an error.)but what they sent me was a 3 disc set that looks like it was burned on a home PC. Of course they just reinstall all the crap that was originally on the machine and going through the process of installing this 3 disc set is just stupid. Insert disc 1.....It spins for a 10 seconds......then prompts for disc 2......Spins and does some stuff......Now insert Disc 1 again....... Blah Blah Blah. What a joke and a slap in the face. Microsoft should have put a stop to this long ago. In my opinion its fine if HP wants to install all that crap. Go ahead. The average user is computer stupid and wont know the difference but for the rest of us we are getting ripped off. I want a Windows Disc!!!!!!

Now before some moron starts talking about subsidies I just want to say ILL PAY THE NON SUBSIDIZED PRICE!!!! But they never ask. OK Fine. Thats why Im cleaning up building real PC's for people all around my town here. Keeping me busy. Plus I get all these letters and phone calls about how amazing my customers PCs are. They are so snappy!!! I never knew Windows was this good!! My brother the MAC fanboy loves this thing!!! What did you do to make this computer so good. I didnt do anything other than assemble it, install the OS and if anything disable stuff thats not needed. Clean, Compact, FAST AS F____!!!!!!!

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]ssalim[/nom]What's this? Editor snaps back at talkback? Since when?[/citation]

Since now, I guess?

I don't get it. Last month Marcus was getting stick for being "pro-Microsoft" and posting too much Windows 7 stuff. Now he's anti-Microsoft and his perfect computer is a macbook.

Starting to wonder if we posted his stuff under "bestofmedia team" would people praise us for "getting rid of that Marcus Yam character."

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]Starting to wonder if we posted his stuff under "bestofmedia team" would people praise us for "getting rid of that Marcus Yam character."[/citation]
I wouldn't praise that. Marcus Yam is a good editor and makes good articles. People that don't like mac just snap at anyone for even mentioning mac in their articles for the fun of it.It's the nature of the way people work(geeks and nerds), they look for anything little detail to say that they suck. Marcus Yam writes most of the interesting article here, and noone would like for him to be rid of.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]ssalim[/nom]How about make it unbiased? news should be news not news+opinion.[/citation]
This article is not biased at all. He only mentions Mac one time, and it was to mention that Apple controls the user experience. And this is news and what your commenting is not an opinion, it is a negative presumption.
And i believe you didnt even read the article, he mentions right after he mentioned apple( which might have been the only thing you saw), that the level of control microsoft is taking is good for everyone. Are you saying that's a bad thing, you shouldn't.

peacock

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]dman3k[/nom]Marcus Yam and his pro-Apple lies again.I can argue Safari, iTunes, iPhoto, iAnything are crapware too.[/citation]

Really? What lies are in this article exactly? First the man gets flamed for doing too many Windows 7 articles. Then he gets flamed for doing too many Mac articles. And now you flame him for an article that is saying Microsoft did a good thing by opening up some choices.

Are you sir, a moron? Or just retarded? Learn to effing read the article first before opening up your snatch.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
I don't think that buying a "clean" computer at the time of purchase should be a luxury, it should be the standard. Can you believe that Geek Squad actually charges you money for crapware removal if you so decide, even though you just dropped good cash on a crappy and overpriced retail PC/laptop! People, go to your local PC store and have one custom build. It will save you money, it will be clean and it will have exactly what you need - not what you think sound good on paper! Ciao!

tektek

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
[citation][nom]Marcus Yam[/nom]This is comment worthy?[/citation]

Oh.. so i shouldnt say whats on my mind now? even if i believe that this isnt newsworthy.. ? thanks for the thumbsdown too.. wonder whats next.. Censor comments.. "you will like what we say.. damnit?!"

fatkid35

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
getting tired of everybody making this comment area a "slam the author " area. i'd love to go to your place of work, knowing nothing of what you guys have to do at work and bitch about how you all do it.bunch of know it all bitches.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]ssalim[/nom]What's this? Editor snaps back at talkback? Since when?[/citation]
And why shouldn't they comment ("snap"...lawl) on what their readers are writing? Firstly, they can, and secondly, the should - and lastly, it makes for a good conversation instead of just having people like you post comments which contribute less to a forum than this pimple I just popped on my chin...ouch!

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Drag0nR1der[/nom]I've never even heard of foxit (but I may give it a try now), but I'd have thought in this case it would be better to stick to the industry standard, mainly because adobe created the pdf format to start with, and adobe reader automatically updates to the latest version, which is always at the forefront of pdf technology, whereas you may have to wait for foxit to update theirs.[/citation]
Eh foxit already too big for my taste i just use all i need is a pdf reader i don't need anything else
sumatraPDF

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]tektek[/nom]Oh.. so i shouldnt say whats on my mind now? even if i believe that this isnt newsworthy.. ? thanks for the thumbsdown too.. wonder whats next.. Censor comments.. "you will like what we say.. damnit?!"[/citation]
I have a feeling that you havent heard of the big red button myth here in THG.
"Unlike Apple, Microsoft does not control the user experience top to bottom"
What does Marcus mean when he sais that apple controls the user experience. Is it that apple can put something in your computing whenever they want or is it that they can watch you in secret. I don't know. Can anyone help?
But anyway, I have a doubt that i'd like anybody to answer, which is this part:

BoxBabaX

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
Interesting article Marcus, ignore the haters. I'm excited that MS is taking initiative in this area, it goes along great with the new MS stores.

I do what most do with a new retail machine: Get rid of the bloatware first and foremost. If they sent the OS discs with the machines, it woul be even better not to deal with waiting 10 years for it to boot up the first time. Hopefully, PC makers take a hint from MS and get rid of the bloatware or make it optional somehow during the initial bootup.

Marcus Yam

Splendid
Jul 1, 2008
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]I have a feeling that you havent heard of the big red button myth here in THG."Unlike Apple, Microsoft does not control the user experience top to bottom"What does Marcus mean when he sais that apple controls the user experience.[/citation]
Apple does things is a relatively closed ecosystem compared to Microsoft. Apple determines what is installed in every Mac sold, whereas Microsoft just designs a set of software that it allows other OEMs to package/modify. It's entirely possible for a maker of a Windows 7 machine to bundle some software in with the PC that Microsoft would find undesirable, but that's the sort of freedom that the PC market has to allow for more differentiation and competition.

A lot of the crapware that we hate on newly purchased machines actually help lower the prices, thanks to bundle subsidies. Regardless, it's a positive thing that Microsoft is now offering users some more choice, which has always been a strength of the PC platform.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
[citation][nom]brendano257[/nom]The latest and greatest from Windows! Oh wait...Apple already had that...Flame me all you want, but Mac OS has always been clean of bloatware from the start. I use a PC solely for work and play, but you've got to at least recognize that Windows isn't everything and Apple has something to offer too.[/citation]
I agree or you can take that laptop loaded with bloatware and no Windows disk, only another install to factory settings (you have to make it yourself now days) putting all the bloatware right back on.
Then there is freedom, wipe it clean with Linux.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]Drag0nR1der[/nom]Windows OS has always been clean of the kind of bloatware talked about here too... did you read the article at all, it clearly sta...... ahh what am i doing... don't ... feed... trolls[/citation]

Yes, I am fully aware of the fact that the actual Windows OS is not, by nature, full of crap/bloatware. And no, I am not a troll. I'm simply saying that perhaps Apples full software/hardware control is not the WORST THING IN THE WORLD, as it's so commonly stated as.

knutjb

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
So will the EU allow MS to do this over there without the extra browsers?

I'm all for this. I have been telling friends to buy business oriented laptops to avoid most of the junk.

So how will Apple use this in an add? Pay more for less just like us!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS