Microsoft Sending Pop-Up Notifications to Windows XP Users

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shovenose2

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
Yeah, Windows 8 sucks, Windows XP forever... blah blah blah.THE WORLD IS MOVING ON. GET WITH THE TIMES.I work at a place we sell refurb PCs I literally have at least one person a day who wants an XP computer... I can almost always convince them to get a Win7 PC from us instead, (thanks for the marketing help, Microsoft), and you know what? Nobody, young or old, has come back "This sucks I want XP back!" of course there are even people that like Win8 such as myself LOL.

Well considering you can make Windows 7 look like XP by stripping out all the fluff I can understand. Windows 8 is just a joke imho and should be killed off by MS. I don't want my PC to ever look like a tablet or phone. Forcing someone to do a bunch of extra steps to just get to a normal desktop is also stupid.

anonymous_user

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
I wonder what the KB of the update will be, might be good to hide that update. Hopefully users can easily disable the reminders!
If the screenshot on Neowin is legit, then it looks like you just need to tick a box to never see the message again.http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-we-will-warn-windows-xp-users-with-desktop-notifications-about-april-8th-eol

VicariousToast

Honorable
May 21, 2012
It isn't that hard to get to desktop mode. In 8.1, I have a tile for the desktop. I boot up, click it right away, and I'm at the desktop. It's not that hard to get it to boot to the desktop either, but I actually prefer booting to the start screen. The start screen is basically just a start menu with a new layout and visual style that is displayed as soon as the PC boots. Once you learn some of the shortcuts, it's not bad.

hythos

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
AH yes. The magnificent "kill switch" embedded into Win7 + 8 will make people wish they kept their XP systems, or switched to Linux:"Your computer has been locked by order of the POTUS. Only Microsoft can unlock the computer for you".

p75

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
Why does Microsoft keep going on about the end of support for XP? Sick to death of it. If I want to use XP, then I will. I will continue to use XP along with windows 7 and will never upgrade to the awful, windows 8, for security and other reasons.

I think most Windows XP users keep Windows Update OFF(since most are from developing countries and don't have good internet). The pop-up thing is useless
Exactly, Here I'm Dual Booting Windows 7 with Windows XP, XP having windows updates disabled from like 2010 or so (nasty failed update that got me a neverending boot loop) and I've haven't had any issue since then on it.

mreky

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014
Wonder if this will appear in my 'XP Mode' VM too? I really don't care - I keep XP Mode for a couple of specific things that require XP and will never change. So I figure when the time comes I just turn off the network in the VM and keep using XP Mode when it's (rarely) needed. Otherwise, I use Win7 Pro which has turned out to be a very solid, usable system.MS does need, though, to provide an update rollup after April 8 that includes all the patches since XP SP3. They sort of did that with Windows 2000 - a pseudo service pack in essence. There are so many patches since SP3 (as with Win7 since SP1) that some kind of downloadable automated patch is needed for those who need to reinstall in the future and won't have an internet connection. Do I expect it? No.

Spad7

Reputable
Feb 28, 2014

Dunno why you are calling me a smartass, but you can find your drivers by pissing up a rope. Post back with your findings.

I installed a Radeon HD 3850 AGP video card (which came out in 2007 and is considered by many to be old) in that motherboard, and I got my drivers from, of all places, AMD . . . not rocket science. If you can't find drivers for your Nvidia card then I suggest you take that up with, I dunno, let me think. Nvidia? Hmmm? ;)

Never said ALL hardware is good to go . . . just that somone shouldn't despair and abandon their old PC till they have researched win 7 just a bit. Anyone who has doubts about their hardware should run Microsoft's Windows 7 Upgrade advisor available on their site.

Windows 7 Requirements:

•1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor

•1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)

•16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)

•DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

If your PC fails to meet these requiements, you are probably out of luck . . . but if you have trouble determining such things or just want to be sure, run the Update Advisor to remove doubt. :) Like I said, I built my first PC on a board from 2004, now running a video card from 2007, and it is doing just fine with windows 7.

EDIT: Hey, you might want to check here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/264488-33-nvidia-geforce4-driver-windows

I go to this place a lot, and they have been very helpful in the past with information. If you have never been there, you might want to become familiar with the site. Bookmark it. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.