Microsoft Set to Open $100 Million Tech Center in Brazil

Status
Not open for further replies.

extremepcs

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
[citation][nom]jtt283[/nom]Microsoft is wise to not open this in the USA, where business and other tax rates are about to get jacked through the roof.[/citation]

More like where they can find people to work at the new facility for a small fraction of what they would have to pay Americans.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
[citation][nom]jtt283[/nom]Microsoft is wise to not open this in the USA, where business and other tax rates are about to get jacked through the roof.[/citation]
You do realize that taxes in Brazil are three times higher than USA's? They are doing it to create cheaper specialized workforce here, but I don't complain, because that's more technology coming our way.

With 0bama getting another term, and no end in sight to Congressional spending, taxes will go up, and loopholes will be closed.
My country has lost, and no one had to fire a shot.

madjimms

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
[citation][nom]mrmike_49[/nom]another example of America's biggest export : JOBS![/citation]
They aren't "taking" jobs away, they are GIVING ADDITIONAL jobs to people in Brazil... stop being so selfish.

fuxxnuts

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
[citation][nom]madjimms[/nom]They aren't "taking" jobs away, they are GIVING ADDITIONAL jobs to people in Brazil... stop being so selfish.[/citation]

actually, it's a zero sum game, and therefore they are taking jobs away.... jobs are being exported from the US to other countries. it's nothing new, and has nothing to do with being selffish. It's all about competitive markets...

deksman

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
This export of jobs is only temporary as higher levels of automation will force Microsoft to lay off a lot of people because they cannot justify keeping people in positions which technological automation can do thousands of times faster and more efficient (for a lower price ratio).

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
@jtt283: Don't be so negative. You probably don't realize it but Romney's plan would have us all climb a little higher before we jump off a cliff (non-renewable energy depdendence).

Personally, I think Ballmer just wanted an excuse to go down more frequently to see a hot mistress in Rio. But if it helps build up the Brazilian economy and government so that they are stronger trading partners, I'm for it even though it is a zero-sum game. It is indeed zero-sum, but consumers need money to purchase your products.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
MS expanding into growing international markets makes tons of business sense for the company. I really don't see this as a political move in any way (from a US perspective). Seriously folks, take a deep breath and relax a bit.

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
[citation][nom]Onus[/nom]Microsoft is wise to not open this in the USA, where business and other tax rates are about to get jacked through the roof.[/citation]
Taxes in Brazil are much worse than in the USA. For instance, the cost of living in Rio de Janeiro matches western europe.

[citation][nom]abbadon_34[/nom]Glad someone is getting smart on taxes. Win-win for MS and Brazilian economy[/citation]
Excuse me but Microsoft is a corporation. They don't work to help countries develop but for market dominance.

[citation][nom]COLGeek[/nom]MS expanding into growing international markets makes tons of business sense for the company. I really don't see this as a political move in any way. Seriously folks, take a deep breath and relax a bit.[/citation]
The article states that they're supported by brazilian government. Government = politics.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Of course a government would support bringing business into their country/market, especially a country trying to grow its tech sector.

This may be Brazilian politics, but not US politics.

Thanks for pointing out my omission from an earlier post.

Status
Not open for further replies.