Microsoft Settles on Non-Metro Name for UI: Windows 8

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I am guessing that Microsoft calls the UI "Windows 8" because they know it will be failure.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]umm no they changed the name because a company was threatening to sue them over the nameFAIL[/citation]

You are touchingly naive.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]So now we'll never know if somebody is referring to the UI or the OS.[/citation]
Yeah so now instead of people saying "I really dislike metro", they'll be like "i really dislike that windows 8". :p

marcolorenzo

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]They changed the name to try to sidestep all the negative buzz about Metro, and to further integrate Metro into Windows by making it Windows, and calling everything before Metro a different name, like desktop or legacy or whatever.[/citation]

No, they changed it because they got a lawsuit from another company that already owned the rights to the name "Metro". Get your facts right.

The features of W8 are pretty amazing. Solid energy savings compared to Win7, performance increases from kernels and other adjustments, etc. etc.
Since it apparently has no "Basic" mode like Win7 and is now permanently in "Aero" mode (as evidenced by the transparent taskbar), I've found battery life (and performance) on my netbook substantially reduced. Windows 8 is DEFINITELY NOT as light as Win7 in Basic mode!

siciro

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
[citation][nom]busuan[/nom]MS's lack of imagination and creativity is ... stunning as well as unsurprising.[/citation]

"metro" behaves exactly like the old start button menu used to. it jsut looks different. Stop complaining. Its a very good system.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]marcolorenzo[/nom]No, they changed it because they got a lawsuit from another company that already owned the rights to the name "Metro". Get your facts right.[/citation]

Yes, that's what Microsoft's PR said.

siciro

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]You are touchingly naive.[/citation]

There is nothing fail about Win 8. Its a really good OS.

Alsone

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
Will never purchase.

Love the desktop concept - hate the blocks.

Also, totally against Cloud Computing - want my data on my pc where I control it and not where its open to hackers, governments, Microsoft and whoever else might try and access it.

Windows 7 might be my last ever Windows PC therefore. Roll on Apple!

Alsone

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
Should have said on the desktop point, I want a clear desktop with my own photos on there. Not a green background plastered in huge blocks obscuring everything.

Will never purchase any OS with Cloud - security and privacy nightmare.

G

Windows 8... Really? What windows? Where?
No frames, no buttons, no frames with buttons... No sense of style, just plain-old-boring-flat colors that look the same on a 32-bit color and a 256-color monitor. And this is the only positive thing I can say about 'Plastic' 8. It looks so bad that it looks good on a 20-year old 14 inch monitor.
It actually manages to render insufficient the desktop space on two 24 inch monitors, with all that half-screen button sizes and such.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]LORD_ORION[/nom]When you think "Metro" you think about homosexuals.Eg: "we'll probably still call it Metro for years to come because we like the way it rolls off our tongue."When what rolls off your tongue?[/citation] uh... no, that would just be you. Are you trying to tell us something?

Metro-sexual is homosexual.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Wow... this is even worse. Now, instead of blaming the failure on "Metro" itself, Microsoft gives us permission to hate the entire OS, top to bottom. Since they are talking about two modes of use... imagine that conversion...Are you in Windows 8 OS or Windows 8 UI or Windows 8 style UI or....

Screw it... I vote, we call it: Metro or Metro-Rape or simply Windows Rape interface.

Microsoft has been calling Metro "metro" for years. Screw them...

*note*I do take real life rape seriously - by all means, rapists should have their dicks stomped by horses and have a pine-apple shoved up their butts.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]marcolorenzo[/nom]No, they changed it because they got a lawsuit from another company that already owned the rights to the name "Metro". Get your facts right.[/citation] No they didn't. Its a rumor that was put out by Microsoft. No official documents from anyone shows this to be fact. If it is, please provide a source.

This sounds more like marketing BS, the metro name is becoming toxic... so they eject the name, spend a week coming up with a new name... which is as lame as the OS its attached to. So instead of saying "Metro is shit" - we now have to say "Windows 8 is shit" - way to go BOB!

Mac OS 10 UI = Aqua
Mac OS 8~9 UI = Platinum
Win 7 = Aero (Authentic, Energetic, Reflective and Open)
WinXP = Luna
WinXP MCE = Royale (There was also Zune, but its just another color version of Royale)
Windows 95~98/2000 = Classic (didn't have any name)

So now, in 2012 - MS is so damn stupid... the committee could only come up with "Windows 8"?! Metro-RAPE doesn't function like Windows. Thats the whole point of naming the interface, not the OS.

There are different versions of Linux, but if you run the same theme (skin) it doesn't change version of the Linux you are using, does it?

Microsoft = Mega Whale Fail

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]siciro[/nom]"metro" behaves exactly like the old start button menu used to. it jsut looks different. Stop complaining. Its a very good system.[/citation] Do you understand the words you said? If it behaved the same way, then it would be the same thing, huh? Funny how MS-RAPE UI launches other RAPE Apps within the RAPE design. Yet running old-fashion Windows programs are NOT not the same thing. Hence, the WART Tablets running that version of MS RAPE 8 cannot run any Windows programs because its only the RAPE OS/UI that is running. Not legacy Windows.

By the way... What gives you or microsoft the right to tell us to NOT complain?

Nakal

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
Metro is fine for the tablet/touchscreen interface. But it does NOT work well on a desktop/laptop. I find it clunky and not at all intuitive when using a mouse. Windows 8 as an OS behind the scenes is actually very good. The front-end is terrible and will potentially lose Microsoft enterprise customers. I know where I work, we are skipping windows 8 (with the exception of touchscreen tablets potentially) That is approximately 12000 computers and we are just 1 entity.

jsiddle2010

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
If you took even a second to configure your windows 8 live tiles and set up your facebook, twitter, emails, etc, etc, you'll be amazed at how much information you can see on one screen.

I can see updates to my fav sports teams, news in the area, how many tweets i have, how many unread emails there are, new updates to friends pages, and tons more just from looking at the screen....

No more having to open a web browser to see if theres updates on facebook, or if u have a new email in your webmail, all that information is brought right to the start screen.

Now for the performance, I am running a fx6100, 16gb ram, hd6950, 120gb SSD with a 500GB storage drive. Resume speeds are out of this world. full boots, once i see a glimpse (thats all i get) of the windows logo, im logging in. Photoshop and Illustrator have never ran faster. and Gaming is extremely good, pulling 120 frames on BF3.

jsiddle2010

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
Side Note: Its 10x faster to use Win8 with a mouse and keyboard than it is on a touch screen. They haven't forgot about the standard desktop/notebook user.

G

have to really wonder about how much use these windows 8 testers actually put the thing through.... if you use the desktop heavily and spend your time in the desktop, windows 8 will boot to desktop, the only time it boots to metro is from a cold start (restart from shutdown menu, a shutdown actual is a warm start as it hibernates the kernel)

i dont need a start menu, pin my regular 6, next 12 is first group in metro, the rest i grab from the instant search (start menu in corporate is a pig, it become one big scroll list, even if i do know where it resides it's still a scroll fest to get there, just faster to use instant search, which actually returns results much faster in win8)

i guess they re-establish baseline basic presuming everyone now has somewhat mediocre to decent gfx, but you can turn off aero (transparency) under the personalize->windows color settings if your machine is struggling

UI aside, the OS is slightly more streamline with modern hardware (last 2 years), wifi performance is improved (less drop outs and auto reconnect is instantaneous after login, have yet to encounter problems with forgotten wifi passkeys), and i cant stand going back to the old file copy/move/delete system from the win8 one, task manager is infinitely more useful, even the dreaded ribbon in file explorer offers some useful functionality, win8 is not all about the UI

ricdiculus

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
Just one little thing, Microsoft put up no fight at all over the Metro/MetroAG name battle. none. That sound like Microsoft? They are just trying to do damage control. They need to push the release date back, add the OPTION to use either UI, and then maybe they could salvage this mess. But we all know that wont happen. I have always been a windows user, and seven really was the best version to date. WHY WONT MICROSOFT LET US CHOOSE HOW TO USE OUR PC?? Answer: to drive everyone to there app store.

G

I don't think the name makes much difference. Windows 8 TouchUI, Windows 8 MobileUI or Windows 8 TileUI, Windows RT UI, whatever... However, proper naming could help people understand that support for mobile devices and touch applications are additional features, not something that is replacing their "traditional" Windows experience (except for the start menu... lol... big deal...).

Status
Not open for further replies.