Microsoft Shows Über-cool Mobile Touch-Surface

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackjellognomes

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
[citation][nom]mrddr6[/nom]It's cool but still doesn't look too practical.[/citation]
The point isn't practicality, it's the advancement of technology. And IMO, gesture-based interfaces are practical; for example, a common problem we see in modern keyboards that we take for granted is the dirt/germ build-up. (They're claimed to have 60 times the amount of bacteria as a toilet seat?) This wouldn't be a problem with gesture-based keyboard.

ADM-86

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006
[citation][nom]blackjellognomes[/nom]The point isn't practicality, it's the advancement of technology. And IMO, gesture-based interfaces are practical; for example, a common problem we see in modern keyboards that we take for granted is the dirt/germ build-up. (They're claimed to have 60 times the amount of bacteria as a toilet seat?) This wouldn't be a problem with gesture-based keyboard.[/citation]

when was the last time you got sick because of keyboard "Bacteria"? anyway I get your point I just don't agree or share your example.

Gin Fushicho

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
[citation][nom]blackjellognomes[/nom]The point isn't practicality, it's the advancement of technology. And IMO, gesture-based interfaces are practical; for example, a common problem we see in modern keyboards that we take for granted is the dirt/germ build-up. (They're claimed to have 60 times the amount of bacteria as a toilet seat?) This wouldn't be a problem with gesture-based keyboard.[/citation]

I have a feeling it'd get just as filthy with a bunch of peoples hands all over the thing.

micr0be

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
[citation][nom]mikeadelic[/nom]Will Apple file a patent infringement lawsuit since it requires multiple fingers?[/citation]

I only need 1 finger to express my feelings towards apple

foody

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
[citation][nom]ADM-86[/nom]when was the last time you got sick because of keyboard "Bacteria"? anyway [/citation]

When was the last time you knew exactly what caused you to get sick?

victomofreality

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
[citation][nom]ADM-86[/nom]when was the last time you got sick because of keyboard "Bacteria"? anyway I get your point I just don't agree or share your example.[/citation]

You've obviously never worked in a call center where you have to swap desks with people.

blackjellognomes

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Gin Fushicho[/nom]I have a feeling it'd get just as filthy with a bunch of peoples hands all over the thing.[/citation]
Um, what would?
[citation][nom]Jane McEntegart[/nom]The coolest part of it all is that you don't need to touch the image on the table to control things. The demo below shows volume being controlled with mid-air gestures.[/citation]

G

Why does the person filming keep focusing on the projector instead of the action below? It's like when you point to something with a cat, and it looks at your finger.

zorky9

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
Although[citation][nom]doomtomb[/nom]I'm not that impressed. Nothing that really WOWs me. I've expected us to have these type of capabilities for years now.[/citation]
Yeah, but the fact is it's just never been implemented on a wide scale. Imagine the benefits this technology will have on handicapped people.

sailfish

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2007
[citation][nom]foody[/nom]When was the last time you knew exactly what caused you to get sick?[/citation]
Sorry, Apple not only patented THAT finger, they've even invented an iChastity device to prevent its misuse.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
In my opinion, the measure of the value of new technology like this shouldn't be whether it has immediate practical application. Sure, it may not, but thank goodness people are still out there coming up with new ideas. Even if it doesn't have practical utility right now, who's to say that someone else won't see this, and be inspired to build on the idea to produce something that is immediately useful?

New ideas are what we need, good or bad. Just because we can't see something's value today doesn't mean that it won't be valuable tomorrow, next week, next year, etc. Keep on keepin' on, developers.

mindspring

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
Did anyone understand what the chinese guy was saying? I just got the 'dees is da bro-ject-dor and dees is da ka-ma-ra' after the cameraman asked him what the three apparatus were.

sebastienm

Distinguished
May 18, 2005
In the medical field, that can be interesting for doctors/surgeons/nurses, controls without touch ie without germs spread.
All jobs where you need to clean your hands before typing on the computer or equipment interfaces.
Overall, i think we are just not used to it yet. A bit like voice commands in a house... a bit weird to me. (maybe in a generation or two)

Status
Not open for further replies.