Microsoft Shows Laptop Mouse With Nano Dongle

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
About fraking time! Finally, someone to compete with Logitech, to help bring the prices down...

Oh...

What is this?

They already have generic Bluetooth 2.0 dongles that do the same thing, and add functionality to your rig?

What? Some laptops already include said Bluetooth 2.0 capability from the factory?!?!?

You're kidding, right?

Oh well, as Cheech once said: "Better late than never..."

jerther

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
As for space, nothing can beat the good old clit :)

I personnaly prefer this over the trackpad.

The industry needs something new and innovative. Mice are like rubber tires for cars: they have been around for too long and are still the best we can get.

Touch screens are going to be great but I can't picture myself using that for houres.

G

Bluetooth sucks in a power comparison with a proprietary wireless communication designed specifically for a mouse (low bitrate).

If you choose Bluetooth you will be expending many bucks in fresh batteries. So, do the math and TCO is a lot higher than the TCO of a mouse with a nano receiver.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Man, I could really use this dongle. The dongle on my current wireless Microsoft mouse is like 2 inches long, and the only USB ports on my laptop are on the right-hand side, where I'm using the mouse.

I would never use BlueTooth for mouse - or anything, in fact. It sucks too much power while offering no tangible benefits in normal usage. In fact, the first thing I did when I got my new laptop was to disable BlueTooth from device manager.

Regarding the dongle, I wouldn't really mind the size. I have a VX Revolution from nearly 2 years ago that I still use, and its dongle is about 2.5cm long - but I hardly mind it, because of the comfort it gives me.

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
I actually find this really painfull... eh, another boring old mouse with a new improved micro sized usb dongle.

I am in the marked to replace my mouse and keyboard for both my desktop and laptop and this is what I am looking for:

-- Bluetooth 3.x ( to get rid of the wires )
-- LED or OLED backlighting ( some manufactures have it, but the keyboars look hidious )
-- A Wave/Natural design from Logitech or Microsoft
-- removable lithium Ion batteries like the one I got for my blackberry that is 3500mah
-- And a powder coating that does not wear off like the over priced lump of plastic that the Microsoft 8000 series is made from.

-J

greenskye

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
so if bluetooth sucks too much power, why can't we just have whatever wireless that's in the usb dongles built in? problem solved!

jerther

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
[citation][nom]greenskye[/nom]so if bluetooth sucks too much power, why can't we just have whatever wireless that's in the usb dongles built in? problem solved![/citation]

not really, each manufacturer has its own wireless protocol/technology. Bluetooth is a standard, so is/was going to be wirelessUSB.

Speaking of which, what happened to that technology!? (which was supposed to kick ass)

PC_GI

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
wtf? have these always been called dongles???? fkn nuts.. I never knew this before. Anyway, thats a pretty lame name. Reminds me of when my granddad told me that he had to shower after he took a #2 because he had so many dongles hanging... Not to mention that this really looks like a pain in the @$$ to pull out of your USB slot... Final review---SUCKS A BIG DONGLE

Dave K

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
Dongle used to be a term for crap that plugged into your computer... typically on your printer port. They were used for software copy protection. No dongle plugged in... software no work.

The term has been expanderized in this era of lots of little doohickeys that plug in and perform various functions.

I typically use it for something that's badly designed so that when plugged in it ends up cantilevered WAY out of your system and poses a risk of causing system damage if you accidentally catch it when you're trying to plug something else in.

PC_GI

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
[citation][nom]Dave K[/nom]Dongle used to be a term for crap that plugged into your computer....[/citation]

Ahh... Thank you... Good to know... Just thought it sounded a little wierd.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
I wanted to buy a Logi Nano, so I wait until they are on sale at BB. I go in there and they don't have any, in fact I've decided that they never have them in stock. So I decided I would get a BT mouse and started researching them, then I find that selection is more limited and they all suck down batteries fast. So I'm sticking with my corded mouse. It always works perfectly, I never worry about batteries, and the cord is not really a problem.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
I gotta say...Microsoft makes some awesome mice. I hope this one has detents though, i cannot live without them! The wireless 6000 doesnt have them, i know that first hand.

G

the dongle looks impressive, but try to comfortably remove it from your laptop. There will be times you just forget that it's still in there, wasting the battery of notebooks or laptops.
Not to mention, if enough people have devices like this pretty soon we'll see some security threats coming via bluetooth

G

Have you tried BlueTrack? I totally thought it was smoke and mirrors like laser was but its NOT. I can't imagine using anything else. The nano dongle is a nice improvement. I just wish they would make it in more colors. I am soooo tired of black.

I bought a notebook computer with the Bluetooth built in. No dongle, and my Bluetooth mouse works just fine. What's the deal with having wireless adapters sold with all wireless input devices? Have machines with built-in Bluetooth, or make the devices WiFi, so that all wireless hardware is inherently compatible.

Status
Not open for further replies.