Microsoft Shows Off ''Radical'' New UI

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Oh great, the people who designed Windows Vista's interface got together with the Microsoft Office Ribbon team and came up with this crap. How about just fixing Windows Explorer so it doesn't jump around as I try to click on directories and files!!!

G

Oh great, the people who designed Windows Vista's interface got together with the Microsoft Office Ribbon team and came up with this crap. How about just fixing Windows Explorer so it doesn't jump around as I try to click on directories and files!!!

sailfish

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2007
VennGUI? I'm not so sure the average non-business person would want their activity schedule so inter-related but I am impressed with the technology.

G

WOW! Impressive. A new way of interacting to computer. And a new way of programming too :).

randomizer

Champion
It's just a novelty that might be useful on some tablet-like systems or home theatres. There's no way that this can increase productivity, so it will never hit the workplace. Companies have a hard enough time training people to use Office 2007 let alone a different UI paradigm that does nothing but present information in an inefficient manner. Big business doesn't buy into the latest whiz-bang rubbish.

On the other hand, it may possibly suit a much later version of a consumer edition of Windows, once Microsoft has convinced the majority of consumers that this is what they really want. The big shiny button craze has only just begun after all. Remember, software companies need to at least create the perception that they are improving our lives with their "innovations," otherwise we won't be willing to fork out more money for their products.

Netherscourge

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
I like it. M$ needs to do something more original on the UI side. They've always done well "under the hood", so to speak, but when it came to visual interaction, Microsoft's software products have always been pretty mundane.

There's no reason to just rehash the same old "icons on the desktop, buttons on the toolbar" mentality. It's getting old.

caeden

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
Obviously this is not an OS interface for running programs. It may or may not (likely not) run on win8 for the kernel, but the shell is just to be an extention of the winphone. It is like outlook in that it is a way to organize your life in a more inteligent way. This type of interface would then be included for TVs, coffee tables, and other winsurface interfaces.
Only problem with the interface I can really see (other than that it is ugly), is that the computer decides what is most important. I think mine would be most interested in upgrading to an i7, or the latest version of office, or whatever else the computer believes would make me more efficient whether I want it or not.

flacoman3

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
It's interesting how the bubble expands into useful information and the visual grouping is cool too
the aesthetic is something else entirely haha

falconqc

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2002
Interesting...

I have mixed feelings. I like to have more direct control of my computer, but I can see why they are doing this. Most people can't even figure out how to do the most basic of things on their computers, this is a good way to make things simple for them.

As long as I can keep my classic mode and have access to a shell, ill be ok.

millerm84

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
For a touch only system ie phone, tablet, "home of the future" type device it would be alright. I think it is obvious that this wouldn't be a desktop or even laptop UI it just has "touch" written all over it. Certainly new and different need a smart marketing plan, but its nice to see MS demo something that is in no way an Apple clone.

On a side note it's always funny to watch tech people who are all about early adoption and radical new technology get suddenly squeamish when something they are comfortable with is challenged. Having never seen the product beyond a brief demo of an unfinished beta, many of you are willing to jump ship and never upgrade again. I can see not liking it or not seeing it as useful to you, but outright hatred for software you haven't used or even know fully what or where it will be used is like screaming "I'll never use that automobile my horse works just fine". Honestly take a step back from the panic switch and see where MS uses this before you abandon Windows 8 outright.

improviz

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
I like it. I can see a Kinect gesture-based interface for this. I will bet you can turn it on or off. Imagine how easy this would be for your grandparents to use? Or someone with a disability that can't use a mouse, etc. Color-blind? You can probably trade the colors for a pattern that you could recognize easily. I would imagine if we'd had a forum like this when Apple was busy stealing their interface from Xerox PARC, people would have been hating on it, too. "What?? No command line? What the hell is this mouse crap?"

dorkusm

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
I love MS and what it does, but... I say no. Too radical departure for a desktop OS. Maybe for a tablet....

NightLight

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2004
I don't like the whole bubble thing, but I'm glad they are experimenting with other ui's. I mean, the taskbar in any form is getting really old. I always imagined it would have evolved more than it has over the years. Don't get me wrong, I loooovvvve win7, but if this is what win8 is gonna look like, count me out!

Status
Not open for further replies.