Microsoft Shows Off ''Radical'' New UI

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
[citation][nom]millerm84[/nom]On a side note it's always funny to watch tech people who are all about early adoption and radical new technology get suddenly squeamish when something they are comfortable with is challenged. Having never seen the product beyond a brief demo of an unfinished beta, many of you are willing to jump ship and never upgrade again. I can see not liking it or not seeing it as useful to you, but outright hatred for software you haven't used or even know fully what or where it will be used is like screaming "I'll never use that automobile my horse works just fine". Honestly take a step back from the panic switch and see where MS uses this before you abandon Windows 8 outright.[/citation]

I don't have to taste dog crap to know I don't want to eat it...

gidgiddonihah

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
This is the vaulted Windows 8 OS? Looks like a tablet or phone OS to me, not a full fledged PC OS. Not to mention it seems a little early for Win8....

If I remember correctly, people had problems going from XP to Vista (Not only because it SUCKED, but it also had several 'radical' UI changes). My mother is like the majority of PC users, they hit the power button, log in, and click internet. Then they go to the few websites they goes to, and shut down. She had problems adjusting from the old XP PC to the new 7 PC, who knows what will happen when the UI changes this much! Its one thing to have changes in a UI, or radicly change it (Like Windows Phone 7), but this doesn't look like a good change.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]Shadow187[/nom]A lot of people already have an extremely hard time understanding icons..Also, Windows Aero in Win7 actually requires a better-than-intel GPU..I wonder what this will require.[/citation]

Dual GTX590's in SLI....

chuenl

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
My guess is that this is only one of the UI themes. I might give it a try but if it doesn't work out for me, I should be able to switch back to the old theme.

G

While likely not a a workable UI, you have to give Microsoft credit for allowing this level of thinking outside of the box. Perhaps some of the lessons learned whilst building this proof-of-concept will improve features of future Windows releases.

Awwwe, I was expecting an OS like the system in Minority Report. I want a big eyeball floating around my desk keeping my Antivirus up to date and hacking my neighbors dogs bark control collar so I can increase the voltage for the next time he barks and wakes my kids...

Status
Not open for further replies.